+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: THE CAS AGREES WITH FC NANTES

THE CAS AGREES WITH FC NANTES

Taken from FC Nantes website https://www.fcnantes.com/articles/ar....php?num=40668

FC Nantes welcomes today's decision on appeal by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

The CAS dismissed Cardiff City's appeal entirely and upheld FIFA's decision of 25 September 2019 regarding the transfer of player Emiliano Sala.

The court therefore ruled, as FC Nantes had maintained since the beginning of the proceedings, that the player's transfer to Cardiff City was complete when he tragically died in an aviation accident.

Consequently, the CAS ordered Cardiff City to pay the transfer costs to FC Nantes and ordered Cardiff to pay a historically high sum, in respect of procedural costs and arbitration costs.

FC Nantes is delighted that this procedure - initiated by Cardiff City and then delayed many times by Cardiff City - which has been difficult for all those close to Emiliano, is finally closed.

The Club hopes this will mark the end of the public disinformation campaign, to which FCN has never reacted, out of respect for the player's family.

Re: THE CAS AGREES WITH FC NANTES

Oh this doesn't sound good.

Nice and unbiased reporting from Nantes

So Cardiff will have to play at least the first instalment of the transfer, probably more than that, and "historically high procedural and arbitration costs".

I wonder if we will now try to sue someone for the illegal flight that caused the tragic death?

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...atement-260822

"Cardiff City is disappointed by the decision of the Court of Arbitration in Sport.

Once the club’s lawyers have digested the reasons for the decision we expect to appeal and will not be making any payments to FC Nantes in the meanwhile.

If those appeals are unsuccessful and the club is liable to pay the transfer fee the club will take legal action against those responsible for the crash for damages to recover its losses.

All our thoughts must continue to be with Emiliano’s family, who are now supported financially by the Trust the club put in place for them."

Club's statement on the matter- perhaps unsurprisingly succinct and barbed.

Public disinformation campaign?

Nobody comes out of this at all well, especially Cardiff who really ought to pay something

So we’re appealing the decision. I’m guessing this will drag on for months more.

The next question which has to asked, was Sala's death insured by the club ? If Mo Salah was to tragically die in a no-fault car crash I'm pretty certain Liverpool would be able to claim an element of compensation via their player insurance..

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    So we’re appealing the decision. I’m guessing this will drag on for months more.
    Undoubtedly would have whatever the ruling.

Intention to appeal then sue the flight organisers. Not surprising. This is going to go on a good while yet.

Wonder how still not paying Nantes (do they mean while their lawyers think about it or until the appeal's been decided?) affects the transfer ban that was suspended pending this decision.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    The next question which has to asked, was Sala's death insured by the club ? If Mo Salah was to tragically die in a no-fault car crash I'm pretty certain Liverpool would be able to claim an element of compensation via their player insurance..
    I have my doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

Nobody comes out of this at all well, especially Cardiff who really ought to pay something
    Couldn't agree more.

According to the other site, the monies are in an escrow account and are separate from the club's finances. Perhaps someone with the knowledge can expand on this.

Throwing good money away on this, if it's Tan's then that's up to him but ultimately it's going to effect the running of the club.

How much in legal fees I wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Throwing good money away on this, if it's Tan's then that's up to him but ultimately it's going to effect the running of the club.

How much in legal fees I wonder.
    This. My concern is that we've been run into the ground over this and should have cleared it up a long time ago. I've never been comfortable with the way this has been handled and it just seems to get worse.

CCFC statement has been updated slightly to add the following

"The award fails to decide the crucial question of FC Nantes (and its agents)’ liability for the crash, which will therefore have to be decided in another forum."

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    According to the other site, the monies are in an escrow account and are separate from the club's finances. Perhaps someone with the knowledge can expand on this.
    The only time that I've seen an Escrow account mentioned in sporting circles is in boxing where a third party looks after the money of another party pending a decision or payment (in boxing the prize pot to each fighter).
    If it is in an Escrow account then it might mean that it hurts the club less than if they hadn't set aside a penny yet. Who knows really? It will all come out soon, then maybe not.

Personally I'd like to see the dodgy agents who organised it all get their comeuppance.

It's always been utter bullshit that we haven't paid it. Bloke was ours, trapsed in front of the media outlets; announced on our own club media as having joined and we've dragged this on and on - on the off-chance that the loss can be adjusted down by hoping for a court to take a flawed decision. Hedged our bets with our reputation thrown under the bus willingly to save Tan a few bob. Ever the business men never the human seemingly from Dalman etc. If I remember rightly at the time Dalman was in the press saying when he got to the club after the news broke about Sala's plane he asked why everyone was quite so devastated- something along the lines of ok it was bad news but for everyone to be quite so despondent surprised me. Bloke is a cnut.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    This. My concern is that we've been run into the ground over this and should have cleared it up a long time ago. I've never been comfortable with the way this has been handled and it just seems to get worse.
    To be fair to Tan, it's his money not yours. If you were in business and a similar situation arose, I very much doubt you would be so quick to concede defeat even after an arbitration ruling went against you. There are other factors in play here and I don't blame the club for taking the stance they have. If after all other avenues have been explored it becomes obvious that the club has no other options but to settle up with Nantes, then I'm sure an agreement will be reached. It appears highly likely I would imagine that the club will be suing those parties involved in arranging Sala's ill-fated flight, which could also include Nantes.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    To be fair to Tan, it's his money not yours. If you were in business and a similar situation arose, I very much doubt you would be so quick to concede defeat even after an arbitration ruling went against you. There are other factors in play here and I don't blame the club for taking the stance they have. If after all other avenues have been explored it becomes obvious that the club has no other options but to settle up with Nantes, then I'm sure an agreement will be reached. It appears highly likely I would imagine that the club will be suing those parties involved in arranging Sala's ill-fated flight, which could also include Nantes.
    When you are wrong you win nothing in arguing till you're blue in the face that you are right. Just a lot of enemies and spent effort and resources. But you are right someone with nothing driving them but money who has thrown ethics out of the window wouldn't care. There may be an element of some influence by insurers in terms of what action they want the club to do, but really even then what cretin at the insurer believes this lad wasn't in our possession.

Was it for this eventuality that £19m of shares were issued a few weeks ago ?

What a rotten business football has become

What is 5 million quid to an enormously wealthy man ?

What's disturbing is that the summary of the judgement suggests that Cardiff City have not disputed completion of the transfer (as speculated in the media), but simply that they should not pay as Nantes could be liable for the player's death due to the actions of their representatives.
    https://www.tas-cas.org/fileadmin/us...4_Decision.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    So Cardiff will have to play at least the first instalment of the transfer, probably more than that, and "historically high procedural and arbitration costs".

I wonder if we will now try to sue someone for the illegal flight that caused the tragic death?
    Of course