+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: THE CAS AGREES WITH FC NANTES

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

THE CAS AGREES WITH FC NANTES

Taken from FC Nantes website https://www.fcnantes.com/articles/ar....php?num=40668

FC Nantes welcomes today's decision on appeal by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

The CAS dismissed Cardiff City's appeal entirely and upheld FIFA's decision of 25 September 2019 regarding the transfer of player Emiliano Sala.

The court therefore ruled, as FC Nantes had maintained since the beginning of the proceedings, that the player's transfer to Cardiff City was complete when he tragically died in an aviation accident.

Consequently, the CAS ordered Cardiff City to pay the transfer costs to FC Nantes and ordered Cardiff to pay a historically high sum, in respect of procedural costs and arbitration costs.

FC Nantes is delighted that this procedure - initiated by Cardiff City and then delayed many times by Cardiff City - which has been difficult for all those close to Emiliano, is finally closed.

The Club hopes this will mark the end of the public disinformation campaign, to which FCN has never reacted, out of respect for the player's family.

Re: THE CAS AGREES WITH FC NANTES

Oh this doesn't sound good.

Nice and unbiased reporting from Nantes

So Cardiff will have to play at least the first instalment of the transfer, probably more than that, and "historically high procedural and arbitration costs".

I wonder if we will now try to sue someone for the illegal flight that caused the tragic death?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    So Cardiff will have to play at least the first instalment of the transfer, probably more than that, and "historically high procedural and arbitration costs".

I wonder if we will now try to sue someone for the illegal flight that caused the tragic death?
    Of course

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...atement-260822

"Cardiff City is disappointed by the decision of the Court of Arbitration in Sport.

Once the club’s lawyers have digested the reasons for the decision we expect to appeal and will not be making any payments to FC Nantes in the meanwhile.

If those appeals are unsuccessful and the club is liable to pay the transfer fee the club will take legal action against those responsible for the crash for damages to recover its losses.

All our thoughts must continue to be with Emiliano’s family, who are now supported financially by the Trust the club put in place for them."

Club's statement on the matter- perhaps unsurprisingly succinct and barbed.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Colin'sReversibleHat View Post
    https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...atement-260822

"Cardiff City is disappointed by the decision of the Court of Arbitration in Sport.

Once the club’s lawyers have digested the reasons for the decision we expect to appeal and will not be making any payments to FC Nantes in the meanwhile.

If those appeals are unsuccessful and the club is liable to pay the transfer fee the club will take legal action against those responsible for the crash for damages to recover its losses.

All our thoughts must continue to be with Emiliano’s family, who are now supported financially by the Trust the club put in place for them."

Club's statement on the matter- perhaps unsurprisingly succinct and barbed.
    We both lost out Nantes £15million and us the Striker that probably would have got the goals to keep us up, it's the organiser of the plane that need to pay up via his or the plane owners insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    We both lost out Nantes £15million and us the Striker that probably would have got the goals to keep us up, it's the organiser of the plane that need to pay up via his or the plane owners insurance.

I have always thought it rather strange that a player's employer doesn't include in the contract that only approved airlines should be used in order to protect their very valuable assets.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I have always thought it rather strange that a player's employer doesn't include in the contract that only approved airlines should be used in order to protect their very valuable assets.
    While I wouldn't be surprised if that happens as a result, would the contract also insist on only having approved taxi drivers etc?

Public disinformation campaign?

Nobody comes out of this at all well, especially Cardiff who really ought to pay something

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

Nobody comes out of this at all well, especially Cardiff who really ought to pay something
    Couldn't agree more.

Agreed.

I agree but Nantes should also come to the table. If reports are to be believed Nantes and the agent were responsible for continually hiking the fee based on fictitious counter offers from other clubs.
    At £5.3M (first instalment) Nantes have already made a financial killing as Sala cost them less than £1M

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    At £5.3M (first instalment) Nantes have already made a financial killing as Sala cost them less than £1M
    I’ve seen this sort of line trotted out before. It’s amazing. It’s as if the writers have no idea how football transfers work.

So we’re appealing the decision. I’m guessing this will drag on for months more.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    So we’re appealing the decision. I’m guessing this will drag on for months more.
    Undoubtedly would have whatever the ruling.

The next question which has to asked, was Sala's death insured by the club ? If Mo Salah was to tragically die in a no-fault car crash I'm pretty certain Liverpool would be able to claim an element of compensation via their player insurance..

Intention to appeal then sue the flight organisers. Not surprising. This is going to go on a good while yet.

Wonder how still not paying Nantes (do they mean while their lawyers think about it or until the appeal's been decided?) affects the transfer ban that was suspended pending this decision.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    The next question which has to asked, was Sala's death insured by the club ? If Mo Salah was to tragically die in a no-fault car crash I'm pretty certain Liverpool would be able to claim an element of compensation via their player insurance..
    I have my doubts.

According to the other site, the monies are in an escrow account and are separate from the club's finances. Perhaps someone with the knowledge can expand on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    According to the other site, the monies are in an escrow account and are separate from the club's finances. Perhaps someone with the knowledge can expand on this.
    The only time that I've seen an Escrow account mentioned in sporting circles is in boxing where a third party looks after the money of another party pending a decision or payment (in boxing the prize pot to each fighter).
    If it is in an Escrow account then it might mean that it hurts the club less than if they hadn't set aside a penny yet. Who knows really? It will all come out soon, then maybe not.

Personally I'd like to see the dodgy agents who organised it all get their comeuppance.

Throwing good money away on this, if it's Tan's then that's up to him but ultimately it's going to effect the running of the club.

How much in legal fees I wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Throwing good money away on this, if it's Tan's then that's up to him but ultimately it's going to effect the running of the club.

How much in legal fees I wonder.
    This. My concern is that we've been run into the ground over this and should have cleared it up a long time ago. I've never been comfortable with the way this has been handled and it just seems to get worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    This. My concern is that we've been run into the ground over this and should have cleared it up a long time ago. I've never been comfortable with the way this has been handled and it just seems to get worse.
    If I was Tan I’d do everything within the law to get out of paying - most (business) people would if they have the funds.

Especially when you consider that there were all sorts of irregularities with the flight that Sala was on.

So someone is liable for Sala’s death and therefore any transfer fee due - and that won’t be Cardiff City by the sounds of it, unless they organised the flight directly of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    If I was Tan I’d do everything within the law to get out of paying - most (business) people would if they have the funds.

Especially when you consider that there were all sorts of irregularities with the flight that Sala was on.

So someone is liable for Sala’s death and therefore any transfer fee due - and that won’t be Cardiff City by the sounds of it, unless they organised the flight directly of course.
    Well theyve done that - that's been the route taken - they've spent money and incurred now further penalty in having done so, tarnished opinions of the club across the world, and there we go outcome is there for all to see now today. It's the title of the thread.

The only people liable to have paid by now any transfer due is the purchasing club. It should have been paid, and then seperately damages sought for others malfeasance - which is what is now going on to play out anyway.