+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steve Morison

Re: Steve Morison

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    What about today? That’s 2 after 7 games. We don’t create anything, we barely have shots on target
    It isn't two after seven games though is it. I gave two examples. I didn't have time to go through all seven games and pick out everything he did wrong.

If you think we don't need better than Watters then I'm not sure what to say. The lad doesn't score goals at this level. He doesn't look like scoring either.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Surely the owner and board can see that isn't the answer though.

I'm almost certain Morison away from the public eye is screaming out for a striker. The blame once again lies with the board. If they don't back Morison in the next day then they will be sleep walking us into a relegation battle.
    They have backed him with a striker and he chose to spend 500k on Etete

It isn't two after seven games though is it. I gave two examples. I didn't have time to go through all seven games and pick out everything he did wrong.

If you think we don't need better than Watters then I'm not sure what to say. The lad doesn't score goals at this level. He doesn't look like scoring either.
    I can’t think of any others he’s missed, there’s been one or two crosses come in that you would have expected him to be a lot closer to, but as for actual chances where he’s got the ball and he should score, there’s only those two I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Steve Morison says we dominated from start to finish - really?
    Had a little chuckle at that. Although it's pretty worrying if he really believes we dominated anything.

We obviously need better than Watters, but Watters isn’t the only issue. I’ve said that repeatedly

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I can’t think of any others he’s missed, there’s been one or two crosses come in that you would have expected him to be a lot closer to, but as for actual chances where he’s got the ball and he should score, there’s only those two I reckon.
    OK. So do you think he will get goals if the midfield start playing well?

Because if you genuinely do then you've got a lot more faith than me.

Morrison would have clearly been made aware that funds weren't going to be available.
    With that in mind, he's gone running with the fanciful and fashionable idea of a 4-3-3 gegenpress as if we're challenging the elite in the champions League.

You need at least a couple of top quality physical centre forwards to play that system. He knew we had none, so where did he think they were coming from, or the money for them?

It now seems we're literally praying that we can convince one to come in on loan.
    IF we do manage to get one on loan, we'll be praying that he doesn't rupture an ACL anytime soon or we're truly screwed.

I think Morison has taken a huge risk and hasn't been able to bring in the two forwards he needs. If it fails completely and we can't even get one, or that one gets injured, we're starting down the barrel for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    Morrison would have clearly been made aware that funds weren't going to be available.
    With that in mind, he's gone running with the fanciful and fashionable idea of a 4-3-3 gegenpress as if we're challenging the elite in the champions League.

You need at least a couple of top quality physical centre forwards to play that system. He knew we had none, so where did he think they were coming from, or the money for them?

It now seems we're literally praying that we can convince one to come in on loan.
    IF we do manage to get one on loan, we'll be praying that he doesn't rupture an ACL anytime soon or we're truly screwed.

I think Morison has taken a huge risk and hasn't been able to bring in the two forwards he needs. If it fails completely and we can't even get one, or that one gets injured, we're starting down the barrel for sure.
    I understand what you're saying but if funds aren't available for strikers and the rest of the team is built with free transfers then what does Tan and the board really expect the return is going to be?

Surely after selling more and trimming a hefty sum off the wage bill then they could have at least given a million or two to strengthen our striking options?

If they don't give funds to strengthen us in this area this transfer window and continue to spend next to nothing here then what are they trying to achieve?
    Does Tan think they'll be queuing around the block to buy a League 1 team with a ground they can half fill?

The man has worked wonders building a team with peanuts who play football up to the edge of the opposition box.
    The man has 'worked wonders' building a team that is currently 16th in the table.

That's not an opinion. It's a fact.

I understand what you're saying but if funds aren't available for strikers and the rest of the team is built with free transfers then what does Tan and the board really expect the return is going to be?

Surely after selling more and trimming a hefty sum off the wage bill then they could have at least given a million or two to strengthen our striking options?

If they don't give funds to strengthen us in this area this transfer window and continue to spend next to nothing here then what are they trying to achieve?
    Does Tan think they'll be queuing around the block to buy a League 1 team with a ground they can half fill?
    In fairness they gave him 500k to spend on Etete which was a very bold decision given our current striking options

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    The man has 'worked wonders' building a team that is currently 16th in the table.

That's not an opinion. It's a fact.
    I think that he's done very well in changing the style we play with what he has spent yes.

When McCarthy and Harris were here many on here would have you believe that it takes many years to change a style of play. He's managed it in a very short space of time.

And yes, we play very good stuff, compared to what it was.
    I'd prefer to be 16th playing this way than 16th playing sky ball.

A decent striker and creative midfielder and I think we wouldn't be far off a decent team.

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    In fairness they gave him 500k to spend on Etete which was a very bold decision given our current striking options
    It does look an ever increasingly strange decision the longer this transfer window goes on without any other incomings.

Quite a bold move, as you say, to spend what seems like the only money he will get on a project.

Tan had obviously made it clear there was no money, Morrison can't expect Tan to bankroll a last minute whim in order to save Morison's gamble.
    Etete doesn't look ready to step into that kind of role, I think Morison's taken a silly risk there with the money that he did have.
    He's now resigned to praying one of his loan targets will come.
    Bearing in mind, that kind of player will be in very high demand.

I think that he's done very well in changing the style we play with what he has spent yes.

When McCarthy and Harris were here many on here would have you believe that it takes many years to change a style of play. He's managed it in a very short space of time.

A decent striker and creative midfielder and I think we wouldn't be far off a decent team.
    The worry is unless we improve out striking options we wont be 16th for long.

Id rather finish the season 16th and staying up on set pieces than relegated playing pretty stuff from area to area.

Its a massive 48 hours.

He’s been able to change the style quickly because he’s brought in a completely new squad. Harris and Mick had the likes of Vaulks and Bacuna.

I would also love to see our wage bill, I bet it’s very competitive for the division. As others have said, we spent 500k on Etete, and he’s third choice behind two players that clearly aren’t up to it

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

Id rather finish the season 16th and staying up on set pieces than relegated playing pretty stuff from area to area.

Its a massive 48 hours.
    It certainly is.

If people can't see that Morrison has trimmed the wage bill and got us playing some much better stuff than previous seasons having spent next to nothing on transfer fees then that's their problem.

Nobody on this board actually knows whether there is further money available for transfer fees, so to suggest that it’s all been spent on Etete is pure speculation.
    For all we know, he might have a couple of million to spend, but hasn’t been able to bring someone in.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He’s been able to change the style quickly because he’s brought in a completely new squad. Harris and Mick had the likes of Vaulks and Bacuna.

I would also love to see our wage bill, I bet it’s very competitive for the division. As others have said, we spent 500k on Etete, and he’s third choice behind two players that clearly aren’t up to it
    I think Etete is injured at the moment but even so, he doesn't look able to carry this team and this system at this point.
    He might never do, Spurs had him for 3 years and clearly felt happy to let him go for very little.

I think Etete is injured at the moment but even so, he doesn't look able to carry this team and this system at this point.
    He might never do, Spurs had him for 3 years and clearly felt happy to let him go for very little.
    It's been touched on here before but the high profile club we got him from doesn't seem to be the guarantee that it once was.
    Many of the top clubs mop up anything showing any potential early on and sell them on to the likes of us at a profit. Etete being no different whilst also being nowhere near featuring seriously for the first team there.

It really is a gamble. A much bigger one than first thought if the only money we actually spend was the £500k on Etete.

Im not writing Etete off as I havent seen enough of him but I have more hope of Isaak Davies being an answer.

Hopefully hes back soon.

It's been touched on here before but the high profile club we got him from doesn't seem to be the guarantee that it once was.
    Many of the top clubs mop up anything showing any potential early on and sell them on to the likes of us at a profit. Etete being no different whilst also being nowhere near featuring seriously for the first team there.

It really is a gamble. A much bigger one than first thought if the only money we actually spend was the £500k on Etete.
    I honestly think Levy saw us coming.
    Etete's longest playing stint was at Northampton the year before last where he got just 3 goals in 16 appearances.
    Yet someone at our club thinks he can get 20 playing up front on his own at this level

I don't want to knock the lad, maybe one day he'll come good, but it seems a crazy buy to me.

I honestly think Levy saw us coming.
    Etete's longest playing stint was at Northampton the year before last where he got just 3 goals in 16 appearances.
    Yet someone at our club thinks he can get 20 playing up front on his own at this level

I don't want to knock the lad, maybe one day he'll come good, but it seems a crazy buy to me.
    It's a crazy transfer, like yourself I don't want to write him off but he's 21 in 3 months and to date he's had less than 40 senior appearances.

The naivety to blow (seemingly) our only transfer funds on a project could leave us up shits creek this season, our current strike force is relegation level

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    It's a crazy transfer, like yourself I don't want to write him off but he's 21 in 3 months and to date he's had less than 40 senior appearances.

The naivety to blow (seemingly) our only transfer funds on a project could leave us up shits creek this season, our current strike force is relegation level
    It's a crazy situation when you think about it.
    Morrison has done well in some respects, he's rebuilt a poor midfield and they do look better.
    We have decent wide options now and decent full-backs.

When you look at our forwards though, it really is scary.

Etete for £500k who just doesn't look like he's going to ever convince at this level.
    If he was, he'd have stood out more in his loan stints I'm sure.

Watters for £1mil. I do think Watters has some ability but he'll never fit into a 4-3-3.
    I appreciate that he wasn't a Morison purchase, but why hang onto him if we're not playing a system that suits his style of play?

Mark Harris... With the greatest respect I can offer the lad, simply shouldn't be here.
    Has been here for donkeys years and done very little for us in all that time. He should have been gone many managers ago!

I'd rather chance our kids at the minute or change the system. If Morison sticks with 4-3-3 and we don't get at least one very decent centre-forward before the window closes, he'll be collecting his P45 in no time.

Are they beyond criticism?

If people think the strikers we currently have are anywhere near what Morison would want to go with then they're in cloud cuckoo land. There is one reason he has this type of player at his disposal and it is simply because they've not backed him to bring in players at the most expensive end of the pitch.

Or do you think they've backed him and he has told them to put their money away as Watters and Harris are good enough?

The man has worked wonders building a team with peanuts who play football up to the edge of the opposition box. Our defence is decent bar the odd set piece lapse. Back the man with money to compliment this at the top end of the pitch.
    Couldn’t one of the seventeen players he has brought in been a striker ? Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

Its a massive 48 hours.
    God no.

We've spent years moaning about the quality of football. Any transition was going to be difficult. Surely nobody wants a return to hoofball? We have to ride this out.