+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steve Morison

Re: Steve Morison

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    God no.

We've spent years moaning about the quality of football. Any transition was going to be difficult. Surely nobody wants a return to hoofball? We have to ride this out.
    It’s a fine balance, ultimately fans are happy of their team are winning.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    It’s a fine balance, ultimately fans are happy of their team are winning.
    I think fine balance is one of the things missing from this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    God no.

We've spent years moaning about the quality of football. Any transition was going to be difficult. Surely nobody wants a return to hoofball? We have to ride this out.
    We’ve gone from one extreme to the other.

We look absolutely pony from corners etc.

Some passing, some hoof ball would suit me fine

The more I think about the Etete transfer the more I think it was a desperate purchase.
    Premier league clubs tend to like keeping hold of their assets until they're good enough to sell at a decent price. If Spurs thought highly of him they would have made him available for a loan, and not for sale for the price of a 4 bed house. We don't need a project.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    A striker helps but it doesn’t explain why we are so completely devoid of ideas in the final third. Why don’t any centre mids get in the box? They’re extremely poorly coached and it’s showing.
    We need to recruit a proper first-team coach just as much as we need to recruit a striker. It's been obvious since the end of last season that Hudson and Ramasut aren't good enough.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    I honestly think Levy saw us coming.
    Etete's longest playing stint was at Northampton the year before last where he got just 3 goals in 16 appearances.
    Yet someone at our club thinks he can get 20 playing up front on his own at this level

I don't want to knock the lad, maybe one day he'll come good, but it seems a crazy buy to me.
    Hard to argue with that assumption, just fingers crossed!

I much prefer the way we are playing at the moment that the old route 1 but as a result of that change and the type of players,we now have, we’ve totally lost the aerial threat from set plays. I remember very few times,if any,when we won the ball in the air. There were times last night, when we could have done with Sean Morrison both defensively and in attack, to give us another option, but he won’t fit into this style of play. I think we had it coming last night,after starting well and not finishing any of the few chances we had. We were lucky to win against Birmingham, because we created some clear cut chances and only finished one and I always felt they could have played a goal out of the hat and undeservedly got a point.

When you see a team like Luton bringing the likes of Jerome and Woodrow off the bench, you can't help thinking our signings has been naive to this point. Let's not forget he sacked off James Collins, who like the two aforementioned isn't a great championship striker, but all three far more experienced and suited to our style of play than what we've currently got.

Can't say I disagree on the coaching either. It's concerning that with Hudson as first team coach and Purse in the building we've conceded two basic goals from free kicks with attackers queueing up on the back post as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SOXY BOY View Post
    I much prefer the way we are playing at the moment that the old route 1 but as a result of that change and the type of players,we now have, we’ve totally lost the aerial threat from set plays. I remember very few times,if any,when we won the ball in the air. There were times last night, when we could have done with Sean Morrison both defensively and in attack, to give us another option, but he won’t fit into this style of play. I think we had it coming last night,after starting well and not finishing any of the few chances we had. We were lucky to win against Birmingham, because we created some clear cut chances and only finished one and I always felt they could have played a goal out of the hat and undeservedly got a point.
    I wonder why Kipre isn't in the mix more offensively from corners and free kicks, but in general I totally agree with what you've said here.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    When you see a team like Luton bringing the likes of Jerome and Woodrow off the bench, you can't help thinking our signings has been naive to this point. Let's not forget he sacked off James Collins, who like the two aforementioned isn't a great championship striker, but all three far more experienced and suited to our style of play than what we've currently got.

Can't say I disagree on the coaching either. It's concerning that with Hudson as first team coach and Purse in the building we've conceded two basic goals from free kicks with attackers queueing up on the back post as well.
    Pretty much guaranteed if we signed people like Jerome or woodrow this place would be in meltdown - look at the forensic destruction of anything and anyone that happens when the endless amount of names are mentioned. And hung drawn and quartered if they don't score straight away

The reaction to last night is bad enough with everyone in the squad plus all aspects of the management team and owners being subject to some form of criticism

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Couldn’t one of the seventeen players he has brought in been a striker ? Just saying.
    Whereas strikers will always be at a premium, you are spot on here. Why are we scrambling around for strikers with 2 days of the transfer window to go, especially seeing as the rest of the transfers seem to have been methodically planned out?

Also, I can't understand why it has taken Morison this long to realise that Watters and Davies are not up to Championship standard when it has been clearly evident to large parts of the fanbase for ages now. And Morison used to be a striker as well......

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Whereas strikers will always be at a premium, you are spot on here. Why are we scrambling around for strikers with 2 days of the transfer window to go, especially seeing as the rest of the transfers seem to have been methodically planned out?

Also, I can't understand why it has taken Morison this long to realise that Watters and Davies are not up to Championship standard when it has been clearly evident to large parts of the fanbase for ages now. And Morison used to be a striker as well......
    Morison scored a goal in a little over every six games at this level. Clearly he know what it takes to be a low scoring striker in the Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post

I wouldn't mind betting that he's probably regretting letting Collins go right now, although we don't know what kind of salary he was on.
    He'd certainly give us more in that role than what we currently have though.
    A day and a bit left of the window, let's see if he can pull a rabbit out of the hat.

I wouldn't mind betting that he's probably regretting letting Collins go right now, although we don't know what kind of salary he was on.
    A day and a bit left of the window, let's see if he can pull a rabbit out of the hat.
    Collins was by far one of the worst strikers we've had at the club

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Worse than Harris or Watters in a number 9 role?

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    Morison scored a goal in a little over every six games at this level. Clearly he know what it takes to be a low scoring striker in the Championship.
    Lol!

I really don’t think that Collins was the answer either. I wasn’t disappointed to see him leave, as I wouldn’t be if Watters or Harris left.

This thread beggars belief. I have just read it through and it has certainly given me some entertainment I suppose. How people with such little obvious knowledge about football and the way the transfer market works can put themselves forward and spout such utter nonsense is beyond me. The board have backed Morison in a total rebuild of the squad and we have already signed 15 new players, something that is unprecedented in our and most other clubs histories. Finding a suitable striker to fit in with the way we want to play was always going to be the hardest part of the jigsaw. At the first sign of trouble the usual suspects are ready to jump ship - apparently ‘the manager is useless, certain players are useless, the board is useless, the club is a basket case’. God, the dire situation has even brought that perennial Cardiff City hater blue lewj back out of the woodwork to spout his vitriol. Support the team and manager through this transitional period and enjoy the quality of football that we are trying to play would be my advice but I know that is bound to fall on deaf ears, as the main protagonists ramp up their ‘get Morison and the board out’ campaign. Until we win a couple of games of course and they will scuttle off again for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    This thread beggars belief. I have just read it through and it has certainly given me some entertainment I suppose. How people with such little obvious knowledge about football and the way the transfer market works can put themselves forward and spout such utter nonsense is beyond me. The board have backed Morison in a total rebuild of the squad and we have already signed 15 new players, something that is unprecedented in our and most other clubs histories. Finding a suitable striker to fit in with the way we want to play was always going to be the hardest part of the jigsaw. At the first sign of trouble the usual suspects are ready to jump ship - apparently ‘the manager is useless, certain players are useless, the board is useless, the club is a basket case’. God, the dire situation has even brought that perennial Cardiff City hater blue lewj back out of the woodwork to spout his vitriol. Support the team and manager through this transitional period and enjoy the quality of football that we are trying to play would be my advice but I know that is bound to fall on deaf ears, as the main protagonists ramp up their ‘get Morison and the board out’ campaign. Until we win a couple of games of course and they will scuttle off again for a while.
    Other than the jab at a poster this maybe your best ever post. It’s certainly the one I agree most with, and this is indeed a car crash of a thread

I made the point last week which I'll make again ; it's better to get anything that's an improvement on what we have at present, and maybe Morison has to compromise on his criteria. Having said that, I do think we'll see a couple of strikers before the window closes. In the few months he's been in charge the one thing we know is he usually does the transfer-business thing quite well..

Do you think we look like scoring? And what clear cut chances have we missed? We don't create anything, at all.

We are passing the ball around in harmless areas, which teams like Luton will just sit back, and then hit us on the break. They could and should have won by 3 or 4 nil last night.

This isn't the first sign of trouble, things have been pretty dire going forwards under Morison since he's taken over, and we are 15% of the way through the season and we've scored 4 goals. One was a fluke, one a header from a cross, one a great strike from distance and the other was a well worked goal. It's extremely worrying and it isn't solely down to a lack of a striker.

International

Do you think we look like scoring? And what clear cut chances have we missed? We don't create anything, at all.

We are passing the ball around in harmless areas, which teams like Luton will just sit back, and then hit us on the break. They could and should have won by 3 or 4 nil last night.

This isn't the first sign of trouble, things have been pretty dire going forwards under Morison since he's taken over, and we are 15% of the way through the season and we've scored 4 goals. One was a fluke, one a header from a cross, one a great strike from distance and the other was a well worked goal. It's extremely worrying and it isn't solely down to a lack of a striker.
    Final third of the pitch is weak, the strikers can't score and the attacking midfielders can't attack or assist, the rest of the team is pretty good!

I was supporting Morison you plum.
    I want the board to back him. If overseeing a rebuild is signing players on frees on a fraction of what the players leaving were on then I suppose they have.

I want them to back him with a striker or two that we clearly need.

You might think I'm negative. I think you're blinkered and see no wrong with the club or the people there. The truth is probably somewhere in between.

We're playing just like the crap Huddersfield team that Hudson coached under the Cowley brothers a few years ago - lots of ineffective passing and awful in both penalty areas.