+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Our Midfield

Re: Our Midfield

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    The 3 yesterday are just to similar, they offer little going forward and are not creative. Surely one of Colwill or Sawyer starts. Then on top you need 2 wingers not Harris.
    I agree. I thought the 3 individually played ok though Rino after a bright start faded badly. We should have started with an attack minded midfielder in there Colwill/Sawyers.

Harris should have been CF and Philagene wide.

Harris spent most of his time coming inside to be some sort of physical presence as Watters was just being completely bullied and unable to compete.

I'm not convinced were on the right track
    Football is a results game, based on our last 6 results, weve won 1, drawn 2, lost 3
    5 points out of 18 and scored 3 goals has relegation struggle written all over it, at this rate Morison won't see October 1st as manager

International

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    Watters has got a lot of shit recently and, to be fair, I've been one of his biggest critics.

But the more I watch us, the more it becomes obvious that our midfield is just as big a part of the goalscoring problem.

Nobody is breaking beyond. Nobody is capitalising on the space that Watters or the wide men create. The amount of crosses in the last 5 games that have been put on a plate 12 yards out from goal - with nobody on the end of them - is staggering.

And I'm not sure why this is, especially with the insurance of Wintle sitting deep. Rinomhota describes himself as an energetic "box to box player", but I don't think he's actually set foot in the opposition penalty area yet. Running beyond the player in possession used to be Ralls' bread and butter, but he doesn't seem to have the legs for it anymore. And Sawyers obviously sees himself as a deep lying playmaker who is happy to provide the short option rather than break into the box.

Don't get me wrong, our final ball isn't always perfect. But there are 2 or 3 occasions in every game where the wide man is putting balls in good areas and nobody's attacking the space. If the centre forward is going near post and taking the defender with him, any player who is willing to take that gamble has got a tap in half the time. But nobody seems interested. I don't know if that's because of Morison's instruction, because they don't have the intelligence or experience to make those runs, or if they simply can't be bothered. But if he insists on playing with wide men, then the same thing is going to keep happening week after week with the same end result.

And as if to illustrate the point, look at Luton's first goal tonight. A midfielder running into the box and getting on the end of a cross.

There's a lot to like this season. I enjoy the way we play out from the back and work the ball up the pitch. But Morison needs to swallow his pride and look at a different approach in the final third, because the current one is not working at all.

And it's not because of Max Watters.
    Agree a good team chips in with goals from all over the pitch, we obviously need a striker but aso the rest of the team need to step up!

International

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    Don’t think Ralls, Rinahmota, Sawyers, Colwill got into the box once tonight and they’re the 2 further forward midfielders.

That’s the issue in a nutshell for me. Makes it all too easy to defend against.
    Agreed O'Dowda is the best option we have, both with delivery and possibly getting on the end of a cross from the other side.