+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: underinvestment

underinvestment

is there any aspect of public services or infrastructure that isn't currently suffering from years of chronic underinvestment?

some clear examples in this tweet, but there are many other areas as well
    https://twitter.com/ndrlee/status/15...m9KoM6cuQ&s=19

our water system/ sewage
    gas storage
    transport
    NHS

Re: underinvestment

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    is there any aspect of public services or infrastructure that isn't currently suffering from years of chronic underinvestment?

our water system/ sewage
    gas storage
    transport
    NHS
    I don’t think you can say the NHS is underfunded

One days NHS expenditure equates to approximately £474m

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I don’t think you can say the NHS is underfunded

One days NHS expenditure equates to approximately £474m
    how much do you think it should be spending a day?

how much do you think it should be spending a day?
    Not sure I’m qualified to answer that question, however, do you think that’s good value ?

To put it into context The NHS spends Russia’s entirely military budget once every 100 days.

If the NHS was a military, it would have the 3rd highest funding in the world, only surpassed by the US and China’s militaries.

It has to get a grip.
    Abolish Trusts.
    Create Area Management Headquarters.
    Say 20 Hospitals.

our water system/ sewage
    gas storage
    transport
    NHS
    The problem I have with tweets and analysis like this, is that he's decided his conclusion and then cherry picked a few examples to 'prove' it.

So in a discussion about investment he mentions home insulation, R&D, Education Spending, Business Investment, NHS IT (a bit specific) and then asks what he has missed.

Well, off the top of my head; road insfrastructure, cycling infrastructure, off shore wind, solar, parks and green spaces, housing, the military, the NHS more widely, new school buildings, universities, LNG terminals, airports etc etc etc.

Now I'm not saying the conclusion would necessarily change, but it may do; we've invested a hell of a lot in wind. Things would be worse without that. Cycling infrastructure is transporming how we get about cities, and the NHS has never seen such rapid rises in expenditure.

So whilst, after a global recession, a pandemic and a war in Europe he may well be right, I suspect the reality is far less black and white.

our water system/ sewage
    gas storage
    transport
    NHS
    Mate, they've been planning this great reset for years, so they are not going to start investing now! The way to ruin a country is through lack of investment, high energy costs, and rampant inflation.