+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All this rubbish about Tan not spending money

All this rubbish about Tan not spending money

We've heard from a couple of clubs now, Luton and Reading, that Cardiff City blew them out of the water when trying to sign the same player.

You don't get the quality of some of the players we've seen so far without spending a lot of money.

Re: All this rubbish about Tan not spending money

Keep you hair on, old fruit.

We saved a lot from the outgoings too.

I'm just never sure what the aim is. He's not making anything, he's not getting much positive exposure, he doesn't enjoy the sport from what I understand.

What's the point of keeping an average supported champ club just mid table at best.

When we were going for promotion it was understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Barry Bastad View Post
    We've heard from a couple of clubs now, Luton and Reading, that Cardiff City blew them out of the water when trying to sign the same player.

You don't get the quality of some of the players we've seen so far without spending a lot of money.
    Take the sale of Moore into account and the large wages saved on players going out of the door and he is probably in a better place financially than he was pre Moore transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Take the sale of Moore into account and the large wages saved on players going out of the door and he is probably in a better place financially than he was pre Moore transfer.
    Regardless of the financial ins and outs the playing squad is in a much better position than it was this time last year and that is a collective effort from all involved so surely that is the most important aspect of how the club is run today as that was the most fundamental chamge that was needed?

I think we might have been able to blow Reading out of the water, but Luton have been buying players this summer (eg Woodrow, Morris and Doughty). I’d say Rob Phillips may be right in that Tan has been impressed by what Steve Morison has done so far, but he also can see that we needed to move up a level in terms of what we were spending if we were able to stand a chance of scoring the number of goals needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Regardless of the financial ins and outs the playing squad is in a much better position than it was this time last year and that is a collective effort from all involved so surely that is the most important aspect of how the club is run today as that was the most fundamental chamge that was needed?
    I agree totally that it is in a better position than it was last year.

Totally ignore that Tan has saved money on a lot of outgoing players in a thread about him spending money would not be right though. The Moore money seemed to get swallowed up too.

I am much happier with where we are at currently, with a striker or two today, than I was this time last year.

It feels like we're building something with some idea od what we are doing. Whether that is down to Morison or those at the club learning their lessons also I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think we might have been able to blow Reading out of the water, but Luton have been buying players this summer (eg Woodrow, Morris and Doughty). I’d say Rob Phillips may be right in that Tan has been impressed by what Steve Morison has done so far, but he also can see that we needed to move up a level in terms of what we were spending if we were able to stand a chance of scoring the number of goals needed.
    Steve Morison has done a job for him all right, one I doubt many so-called experienced managers would have pulled off. He's pretty much been able to attract the players he wants the club and moved others on. I suspect there was a wage cap put in place by Tan plus a small transfer budget - £2 - £3 million perhaps. Either way, a club playing the worst football in the Championship have been transformed in the space of 4 months. I'd love us to challenge for 5th/6th spot but realistically a season in the bottom half of the table with another couple of windows and I'd feel very optimistic about it the following season.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Steve Morison has done a job for him all right, one I doubt many so-called experienced managers would have pulled off. He's pretty much been able to attract the players he wants the club and moved others on. I suspect there was a wage cap put in place by Tan plus a small transfer budget - £2 - £3 million perhaps. Either way, a club playing the worst football in the Championship have been transformed in the space of 4 months. I'd love us to challenge for 5th/6th spot but realistically a season in the bottom half of the table with another couple of windows and I'd feel very optimistic about it the following season.
    I think he has done a great job.

I know many have questioned us being in 16th position but we are a world away from where we were and I think not many players away from really pushing on. It is a lot more encouraging than where we were at.

To say it is because Tan has backed Morison financially is a bit wide of the mark though, in my opinion. Whether it is Morison, the board or a mixture of the two, we seem to have assembled a squad capable of playing better football for less money.

Tan spent the money we got from Keiffer and co. He could easily have not if he had chosen. He is spending money on his club and by the sounds of it considerable money

I know many have questioned us being in 16th position but we are a world away from where we were .
    17th

Tan spent the money we got from Keiffer and co. He could easily have not if he had chosen. He is spending money on his club and by the sounds of it considerable money
    He spent the money we got for Keiffer?

What on?

You do realise a lot of our signings are on considerably less than what went out the door. Flint, Vaulks, Paterson, Smithies etc were on more than most if not all of the current squad.

If spending less money than last year is backing the manager then fair play. Many believe reducing the wage bill and giving the manager less to spend is the opposite of backing him but it takes all kinds of opinions I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    17th
    My mistake. I'm going on our position as of Tuesday at full time. The sentiment remains the same.

What I would ask the original poster is this - If at a club anywhere but at Cardiff City they let players go, spent less on incoming than on fees obtained and less on wages than the players that were leaving would that club be described as spending money? Would they be described as backing the manager?
    I would disagree that they would. If a manager at a top club, say Man United, had to reduce the wage bill and spent a lot less than a previous manager the fans would be up in arms.

Is Tan spending money? Most clubs spend money to remain in existence. What I mean by spending is spending money to push the club on.

Vincent Tan is having to give less of his money to a wage and income shortfall at the current time than he was this time last year. I'm almost certain of that. If he isn't then something is seriously wrong at the club.

Is Tan being sensible and seeing what Morison can do with a limited budget? Maybe.
    He is not spending anything like what he has on previous managers though. Even Mick McCarthy.

To be fair the club and Morrison have done very well this transfer window.
    No silly wages or fee's for players.
    Some will never praise the club when things go well but if anything goes wrong it's the boards fault or "The Regime " has it's called by the morons with an agenda who seem to want the club to fail..

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Doesn’t that remain to be seen?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Doesn’t that remain to be seen?
    I've seen enough to think they have done very well and i'm enjoying the football played by those at the club.
    Although there is room for improvement..

Some will never praise the club when things go well but if anything goes wrong it's the boards fault or "The Regime " has it's called by the morons with an agenda who seem to want the club to fail..
    Is it the people who question a board that has seen two promotions to the Premier League but failed to capitalise on them that want the club to fail?
    Or is it the ones that hail everything the club do as good even if we are going backwards?

If fans applaud everything, good and bad, then the club can basically do what they like regardless of results.
    I think the happy clappers are worse than people who hold the board to account even in such a small way as question their decisions.

I think we’ve saved money because the ones we shipped out last season we’re on ridiculous wages, we can even afford to pay very well by championship standards and save cash it would seem. Smithies, pack, vaulks….crazy

I see that, right on cue, one of the people that your above post was obviously aimed at has responded appropriately in defence and justification of his unrelenting attacks on anything to do with the club. It really is very sad that these people appear totally incapable of enjoying anything to do with City. He now indicates that he thinks he is doing the club a favour. Deluded.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I think we’ve saved money because the ones we shipped out last season we’re on ridiculous wages, we can even afford to pay very well by championship standards and save cash it would seem. Smithies, pack, vaulks….crazy
    Oh it was crazy without doubt.

Even more so when those high paid players achieve little more than keeping you up. Something needed to change without doubt.

Maybe they are seeing what he can do with a small budget and will give him more as he proves himself.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    I see that, right on cue, one of the people that your above post was obviously aimed at has responded appropriately in defence and justification of his unrelenting attacks on anything to do with the club. It really is very sad that these people appear totally incapable of enjoying anything to do with City. He now indicates that he thinks he is doing the club a favour. Deluded.
    Let's be honest here. We could be battling in the National League and you'd still be singing Tan's praises.

By your thinking saying they are doing everything well regardless of the truth is better than praising the good stuff and criticising the bad. As ever, we will agree to disagree on that.

There's enough evidence to suggest Morison is on the right trajectory with almost a new side , and at times it's great movement and possession, much more so than under our last few managers .

Tan is and will always be generous in my eyes in funding our club over the last decade , which has seen us promoted twice .

Yes we need a sucessful striker who doesn't, are there many about, no , are they cheap, no , do English based strikers fancy upping roots from the bigger English cities without extra enticement or rubbing agents hands with extra cash NO.

Let's be honest here. We could be battling in the National League and you'd still be singing Tan's praises.

By your thinking saying they are doing everything well regardless of the truth is better than praising the good stuff and criticising the bad. As ever, we will agree to disagree on that.
    You post on the other board?

You post on the other board?
    Odds on they’ve used “The Regime” unironically?