+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NOT MANY WILL AGREE

Re: NOT MANY WILL AGREE

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Yes. There are plenty of decent players who are terrible managers and terrible judges of players. I don't think the two are linked. Klopp, Jose, Wenger, Tuchel, Potter, ten Hag etc all had mediocre careers at best. Lampard and Gerrard had exceptional playing careers... Obviously there are Pep and Cruyff etc but playing at a certain level means sod all.
    The decent player/bad manager thing doesn't work for me in this argument. We're not talking about game plans, tactics, formations, motivational skills etc. An experienced Championship player should be able to recognise whether a fellow pro is up to the job. Like I said, Morison was playing and training in the Championship 3 years ago. And after playing at so many different levels, I find it hard to believe he can't tell the difference between good enough and not good enough for the Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    An experienced Championship player should be able to recognise whether a fellow pro is up to the job.
    So do you reckon all of Morison's signings will be good enough for the Championship?

The decent player/bad manager thing doesn't work for me in this argument. We're not talking about game plans, tactics, formations, motivational skills etc. An experienced Championship player should be able to recognise whether a fellow pro is up to the job. Like I said, Morison was playing and training in the Championship 3 years ago. And after playing at so many different levels, I find it hard to believe he can't tell the difference between good enough and not good enough for the Championship.
    On that same basis, do you think that a footballer who played League 1 and Championship football but never graced the Premier League would be any good at working out if a player would be good enough, or not, to play in the Premier League?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    So do you reckon all of Morison's signings will be good enough for the Championship?
    How will we find out? If they end up playing at a lower level does that mean they're not good enough?

How will we find out? If they end up playing at a lower level does that mean they're not good enough?
    A simple yes or no would have sufficed, but I guess you know the obvious answer would destroy your own theory.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    A simple yes or no would have sufficed, but I guess you know the obvious answer would destroy your own theory.
    My theory that a seasoned pro might have a better idea of who's good enough than a messageboard contributor? You think you've managed to destroy that? You do think highly of yourself.

My theory that a seasoned pro might have a better idea of who's good enough than a messageboard contributor? You think you've managed to destroy that? You do think highly of yourself.
    That's not what you said. Not at all. Not even close. You said: "We've got a manager who played over 200 games in the Championship the last of which was just over 3 years ago. He's also played over 300 games in League 1 and below. Do you really think he can't tell who's up to this level and who's not?

"An experienced Championship player should be able to recognise whether a fellow pro is up to the job. Like I said, Morison was playing and training in the Championship 3 years ago. And after playing at so many different levels, I find it hard to believe he can't tell the difference between good enough and not good enough for the Championship."

So, do you reckon all of Morison's signings will prove to be good enough for the Championship or not?

Harry Redknapp nearly sold Gareth Bale to Birmingham for 2m quid. We've signed some right rubbish in the past by hugely experienced managers. A 50% hit rate on transfers is seen as good, we needed this transfer window to have a 75% hit rate due to the turnover. I'd suggest we are nowhere near that.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Morison has managed us for 40 league games, which is almost an entire Championship season. How many good team performances have there been in that time?
    Exactly, he couldn't get the old crew to perform and he's struggling to get his team to perform.

Quote Originally Posted by Earnie's bench seat View Post
    I was there on Saturday. Of course it was not great at all, with poor defending for the two Millwall goals, but having had a few days to think about it, my thoughts are:

• Philogene had a bad game; after he ran into the Millwall right back for the umpteenth time you knew it wasn't going to be our day. However I'm sure (hope) as times goes on he'll get more used to the rough and tumble style defending of the likes of Millwall. Wiki tells me he only played 11 times at Stoke last season, so he's still learning.

• Whyte, conversely, I thought did well when he came on. Why not give him a go ?

• Nkounkou has an eye for a pass, but some of our attackers (Philogene) not quite up to the speed (yet) of his thinking.

• Robinson did well when we came on; again, you could see he was looking for earlier balls, quicker passing from the midfield etc. Hopefully that'll improve too over the next few weeks. You could tell he's played at a higher level

• The team do a lot of standing around and not enough movement off the ball. Was the same at Bristol...which is why the playing out from the back sometimes puts them under pressure, or we can't get attacks going quickly enough. It's too slow at the moment.

• We need goals. Hopefully Robinson can turn that around for us, because otherwise we are going nowhere

It's early days. Even one win and we'd be up to mid table. I think Morison is trying to do the right thing and for that he's got my support.
    Playing with pace is going to take a while but he's on the right road

I have only watch a couple of games this season but judging from Saturday's game, what the players lacked was intensity. I don't like Warnock very much but he undeniably good at putting a rocket up the players behinds and getting the desired response.

Morison comes across as a bit "don't suffer fools gladly" which reminds me a bit of a lot of english ex-pros come managers....a bit like Gerrard or Parker. The problem with that type of personality is that the technical and tactical side of their game has to be spot on as they can't necessarily rely on being personable in order to get a response from the players.

On top of that, he has signed virually a new starting eleven which means he'll have to be tactically clever in order to get them playing well. They didn't look particularly great passers of the ball and they didn't seem to have indivuidaul brilliance in the game I saw on the weekend.

If you are not tactically adept as a manager, if you have a first eleven that don't really know eachother and are not particularly gifted, If you don't have a anger who can inspire a fighting spirit........ It doesn't look great on paper.

I thinkk I probably caught a not so good example of how this team can play and had I watched the Norwich game I undoubtedly would have had the opposite impression.

With regards the patience of those in charge, I'd give him until the end of October and if we only have a win and a draw to show for it, he'll be moved on. I also agree that , it is not wise to let someone buy an raft of new players and then sack him but when has that ever stopped Tan/Mehmet.

If it were down to me I would have restructred the way we recruit altogether and not left that down to the first team coach. But anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    I have only watch a couple of games this season but judging from Saturday's game, what the players lacked was intensity. I don't like Warnock very much but he undeniably good at putting a rocket up the players behinds and getting the desired response.

Morison comes across as a bit "don't suffer fools gladly" which reminds me a bit of a lot of english ex-pros come managers....a bit like Gerrard or Parker. The problem with that type of personality is that the technical and tactical side of their game has to be spot on as they can't necessarily rely on being personable in order to get a response from the players.

On top of that, he has signed virually a new starting eleven which means he'll have to be tactically clever in order to get them playing well. They didn't look particularly great passers of the ball and they didn't seem to have indivuidaul brilliance in the game I saw on the weekend.

If you are not tactically adept as a manager, if you have a first eleven that don't really know eachother and are not particularly gifted, If you don't have a anger who can inspire a fighting spirit........ It doesn't look great on paper.

I thinkk I probably caught a not so good example of how this team can play and had I watched the Norwich game I undoubtedly would have had the opposite impression.

With regards the patience of those in charge, I'd give him until the end of October and if we only have a win and a draw to show for it, he'll be moved on. I also agree that , it is not wise to let someone buy an raft of new players and then sack him but when has that ever stopped Tan/Mehmet.

If it were down to me I would have restructred the way we recruit altogether and not left that down to the first team coach. But anyway.
    We have restructured it and moved to looking at different kinds of players. Morison obviously has a role but the transfers aren't just down to him

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Until we start playing teams off the park and winning 9-0, Philogene and Ojo should be nowhere near the first team
    Neither should Ralls. When he plays or comes on from the bench, we start looking like City of last season.
    No pace, creativity or even defensive awareness (which he used to be good at).
    Despite all that Colwill struggles to get a game

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Agree wholeheartedly with this - hope it doesn't come to replacing him as it means we will have done well enough for him to stay and results will have improved

I feel the calls for him to go now or in the next few games strange as it seems there was a general consensus that we were in transition and it may take time with some ups and downs
    There's "ups and downs" then there's terminal decline into Div 1. Another 3/4 straigjt losses and he has to go

Quote Originally Posted by Lither_1927 View Post
    There's "ups and downs" then there's terminal decline into Div 1. Another 3/4 straigjt losses and he has to go
    Terminal decline into Div 1. Care to elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Terminal decline into Div 1. Care to elaborate?
    Not really. But i will seeing as you asked. Our decline *this* season will be terminal if we go down in the calendar year of 22/23. You can't rerun the season can we. It's in the context of this season half bee so calm down.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    We have restructured it and moved to looking at different kinds of players. Morison obviously has a role but the transfers aren't just down to him
    Oh ok , I haven't been switched on over the last few months. ...... do we actually have a head of football type character now? ( not sarcy)....

If so , go right ahead and sack the useless plum because we've got a structure in place!

...btw don't know how you managed to respond without passing comment on typos....that was a gargantuan effort by me fair play.

...is it just me or does anyone else fancy Darcy Blake for a Technical Director role ??

Also, whatever happened to the weird, chopsy, emo valleys boy whose name eludes me ? He posted on here. Was really prolific in the late naughties.

Quote Originally Posted by Lither_1927 View Post
    Not really. But i will seeing as you asked. Our decline *this* season will be terminal if we go down in the calendar year of 22/23
    It would be the end of the club if we go down this season.

Interesting.

So despite the title being "not many will agree" we are now on the 3rd page of absolutely everyone agreeing and nobody disagreeing.

In short everyone thinks mid table would be decent and nobody wants us to go down so if by xmas it looks like we are in trouble he needs to go. Sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    So despite the title being "not many will agree" we are now on the 3rd page of absolutely everyone agreeing and nobody disagreeing.

In short everyone thinks mid table would be decent and nobody wants us to go down so if by xmas it looks like we are in trouble he needs to go. Sorted.
    Mid table brilliant not decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It would be the end of the club if we go down this season.

Interesting.
    I clearly said in the context of this seasons campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    To me this was a season of clearing out the over paid dead wood and changing the way the team play.
    I understand we are not doing well at the moment but surely after bringing in so many new players we should be a little more patient?

For me a mid table finish will be a decent return aslong has we are in a good position at the end of this campaign to add to what we have and build a better squad to push for a higher finish next season?

Obviously come Christmas if we are relegation threatened we should seriously look at replacing Morrison but otherwise i'd happily give him the full campaign ..

This season is typical of the panic that spreads through this club

Early season we looked competitive, that draw at West Brom had people thinking we could compete and maybe with a striker ......

Now it's the end of the world

Morison clearly should be given a chance with this team but he won't get it here

Be careful what you wish for

Quote Originally Posted by NottinghamBlue View Post
    I couldn't agree more. I think that SM has taken on a big job and needs to be given time, for the team to gel, and OUR SUPPORT.