+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reports of the demise of cash premature?

Reports of the demise of cash premature?

Apologies if I’m duplicating a recent thread here (think I might be).

Anyway, there’s plenty of chippys up here and one of them has always been cash only payments ever since I moved up here four and a half years ago. However driving into Treorchy just now, I saw two more with cash only signs being shown - both of them have accepted cards payments in the past I believe.

Seems that the cost of living crisis is enabling cash to make a comeback - maybe something good could come out of this mess.

Re: Reports of the demise of cash premature?

i'd guess with the price of oil then some will look at how they keep their costs down but isn't this evened out by the number of places that have gone practically card only because of the pandemic?

You do realise why they only take cash yes? It’s to fiddle the books and pay less tax.

Said it before and I’ll say it again “Cash is King”

People are starting to realise, it’s too easy spending your money with a card.

If you go out with £40, you can only spend £40

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    You do realise why they only take cash yes? It’s to fiddle the books and pay less tax.

Fat cats do it by transferring their funds offshore, so what’s wrong with a couple of quid under the bed

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Apologies if I’m duplicating a recent thread here (think I might be).

Anyway, there’s plenty of chippys up here and one of them has always been cash only payments ever since I moved up here four and a half years ago. However driving into Treorchy just now, I saw two more with cash only signs being shown - both of them have accepted cards payments in the past I believe.

Seems that the cost of living crisis is enabling cash to make a comeback - maybe something good could come out of this mess.
    You'd have to travel a long way to find a Chinese takeaway which accepts card payments and I've never found too many chippys who do either. Maybe those who have aspirations to be small restaurants.

The fact is that for smaller businesses the merchant charges have always been excessive and for the most part of course it's Joe Public who pays for them. Chippys and takeaway businesses have often felt they are able to get away without card payments because punters will find the cash when desperate for a bite to eat. Other types of business are not able to follow suit.

Like you said good news all round.

Aye, there’s no skullduggery, fraud or deceit with credit and debit cards

How long until they put Charles’s mug on it

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    You'd have to travel a long way to find a Chinese takeaway which accepts card payments and I've never found too many chippys who do either. Maybe those who have aspirations to be small restaurants.

The fact is that for smaller businesses the merchant charges have always been excessive and for the most part of course it's Joe Public who pays for them. Chippys and takeaway businesses have often felt they are able to get away without card payments because punters will find the cash when desperate for a bite to eat. Other types of business are not able to follow suit.

Like you said good news all round.
    most of the chinese restaurants near me will take card, and the chippies.
    no excuse not to these days

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder’s Mam View Post
    How long until they put Charles’s mug on it
    never with any luck

That's interesting Bob. I'm very pro-cash. I think it's critical for many reasons that we have a balanced economy in this respect, and I try to use both cash and cards and would encourage people to do the same.

My big issue is places that refuse to accept cash. Really I think people should take both, but I don't mind places only taking cash really.

Why on earth would people want a cashless society? There's benefits to both, why would anyone want an option to be removed?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    That's interesting Bob. I'm very pro-cash. I think it's critical for many reasons that we have a balanced economy in this respect, and I try to use both cash and cards and would encourage people to do the same.

My big issue is places that refuse to accept cash. Really I think people should take both, but I don't mind places only taking cash really.

Why on earth would people want a cashless society? There's benefits to both, why would anyone want an option to be removed?
    Will you immediately stop posting sense it just doesn’t become you

First Team

Cash only in the US is often an attempt to tax dodge.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Will you immediately stop posting sense it just doesn’t become you
    Welcome to the rest of your life mate ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    You'd have to travel a long way to find a Chinese takeaway which accepts card payments…,
    Unless you live in North Cardiff, in which case you don’t have to travel very far at all as they all take card payments.

a surprising number of restaurants in Germany are cash only

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Unless you live in North Cardiff, in which case you don’t have to travel very far at all as they all take card payments.
    The one on Heol Llanishen Fach doesn't mind.

F**K DA SYSTEM

The one on Heol Llanishen Fach doesn't mind.
    Are you sure? It did during Covid. That said, I very rarely use it as it’s erratic to say the least.

I avoid shops , chippys , takeaways that are cash only.

Small amounts I may use cash otherwise only card.

Pubs i use both. Mostly card since covid though as virtually all pubs now taking card.

Find it bonkers in Tesco at self service the people waiting for a cash till.

Dont get the cash obsession.

During the Subprime Crisis in USA money including cash got it through albeit dodgy cash..

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2...n-cfief-claims

Fast food places that use Just Eat get stung so much with their charges that many will try to encourage the use of cash in store as much as possible.
    Not using Just Eat puts them at a disadvantage as many of their competitors do, so they're stuck between the devil and deep blue sea.

Welcome to the rest of your life mate ;)
    Nah, I usually ignore you

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I avoid shops , chippys , takeaways that are cash only.

Small amounts I may use cash otherwise only card.

Pubs i use both. Mostly card since covid though as virtually all pubs now taking card.

Find it bonkers in Tesco at self service the people waiting for a cash till.

Dont get the cash obsession.
    I find it bonkers that people use the self service tills and bonkers that store workers encourage people to use them. Disgusting that lines of checkouts are empty they should be full of till operators, we need people in work earning a living not a beep beep machine.

Many of us remember actually being served at the counter by shop assistants who actually got your goods for you. The way it’s going it won’t be long before the customer is bringing the goods out of the stockrooms on pallet trucks and stacking the shelves themselves.

Scrap the self serve tills, employ more human beings to work the check outs. All this beep beep, pay by card nonsense is turning people into thickoes. Bar staff who can’t add up or subtract is widespread now, ridiculous.

There is a protest movement against (programmable) Central Bank Digital Currencies, so it could be something to do with that?

I prefer card apart from in the pub but Covid put paid to that.
    I still find it a bit strange buying beer "on credit" though!