+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reports of the demise of cash premature?

Re: Reports of the demise of cash premature?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Youngsters laugh at cards all on the phone app etc.

Those who joined the 20th century regularly use cards.

Those who make Jacob Rees Mogg look like modern man use cash only.

Wurzels still trade in sheep and cows etc.
    Cash enables ‘spenders’ to put the brakes on. Cashless can capture ‘spenders’ and lead to spiralling blindly into debt. Then again people in debt think twice about speaking up, withdrawing labour etc, debt helps those in power keep a tight rein. The cashless plan must not work for all our sakes.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Cash enables ‘spenders’ to put the brakes on. Cashless can capture ‘spenders’ and lead to spiralling blindly into debt. Then again people in debt think twice about speaking up, withdrawing labour etc, debt helps those in power keep a tight rein. The cashless plan must not work for all our sakes.
    Agree.

Aside from anything else it would be a huge transfer of power from the people to institutions, in this case banks, governments, and facilitators such as VISA and Mastercard.

In a two-way transaction, why would you want to introduce a third party to take a cut? One that would likely only grow were that the only option.
    You would leave yourself wide open to financial insitutions knowing every penny of expenditure before they loaned money or sold you a product.
    We would become entirely reliant on wifi infrastructure to conduct any business. There are numerous examples of this failing. A country really would be putting themselves at financial risk if their entire system was cashless.
    The big issue for me as well is that people need and deserve a degree of anonymity. Society isn't better with every conversation recorded and it wouldnt be better with every transaction recorded. A big issue for me is vulnerable people in particular in this case.

I can genuinely think of nothing that would so unnecessarily transfer power from the population to those at the top than a cashless society.

Everyone really should consider resisting it to varying degrees in my opinion, even if it's just spending £20 a month on cash, it all helps keep that system alive.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Starbucks is still Card only
    Not allowed here. It marginalizes people without bank accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Agree.

Aside from anything else it would be a huge transfer of power from the people to institutions, in this case banks, governments, and facilitators such as VISA and Mastercard.

In a two-way transaction, why would you want to introduce a third party to take a cut? One that would likely only grow were that the only option.
    You would leave yourself wide open to financial insitutions knowing every penny of expenditure before they loaned money or sold you a product.
    We would become entirely reliant on wifi infrastructure to conduct any business. There are numerous examples of this failing. A country really would be putting themselves at financial risk if their entire system was cashless.
    The big issue for me as well is that people need and deserve a degree of anonymity. Society isn't better with every conversation recorded and it wouldnt be better with every transaction recorded. A big issue for me is vulnerable people in particular in this case.

I can genuinely think of nothing that would so unnecessarily transfer power from the population to those at the top than a cashless society.

Everyone really should consider resisting it to varying degrees in my opinion, even if it's just spending £20 a month on cash, it all helps keep that system alive.
    Actually plans are afoot to move to a CBDC which would bypass the banks and your expenditure would be directly controlled by the government, and the programmable element of CBDC's could be used to control what you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Not allowed here. It marginalizes people without bank accounts.
    I think legislation will come in here that does the same, and rightly so.

That said, Starbucks issued a press release stating being cashless isn't their policy - was just one store.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Actually plans are afoot to move to a CBDC which would bypass the banks and your expenditure would be directly controlled by the government, and the programmable element of CBDC's could be used to control what you buy.

Yup, very Orwellian and concerning.

Was in Berlin recently, it was hard to find a place that accepted cards.

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I find it bonkers that people use the self service tills and bonkers that store workers encourage people to use them. Disgusting that lines of checkouts are empty they should be full of till operators, we need people in work earning a living not a beep beep machine.

Many of us remember actually being served at the counter by shop assistants who actually got your goods for you. The way it’s going it won’t be long before the customer is bringing the goods out of the stockrooms on pallet trucks and stacking the shelves themselves.

Scrap the self serve tills, employ more human beings to work the check outs. All this beep beep, pay by card nonsense is turning people into thickoes. Bar staff who can’t add up or subtract is widespread now, ridiculous.
    I went into Tesco on Western Avenue a couple of days ago and the line of checkouts wasn't.
    i don't mean it wasn't empty I mean it wasn't Full Stop. They had ripped out 6 or 8 tills and were in the process of extending the self service checkout. It was taking up the space vacated by the tills but had not yet fitted the self swipe ones. So the queue for the existing ones was huge and people with big trollies full of their monthly shop were using them. It was crazy. People trying to use those machines with a whole weekly shopping for a full house is mad !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I avoid shops , chippys , takeaways that are cash only.

Small amounts I may use cash otherwise only card.

Pubs i use both. Mostly card since covid though as virtually all pubs now taking card.

Find it bonkers in Tesco at self service the people waiting for a cash till.

Dont get the cash obsession.
    Cash is anonymous so protects our freedom in a hypothetical time of tyranny. Having said that, i have OCD, So prefer card. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Fast food places that use Just Eat get stung so much with their charges that many will try to encourage the use of cash in store as much as possible.
    Not using Just Eat puts them at a disadvantage as many of their competitors do, so they're stuck between the devil and deep blue sea.
    Funny enough yesterday I was speaking to the manager of my favourite Indian [Bangladeshi] restaurant. Just Eat were charging 33% of the meal price which was unsustainable. They've now re-vamped their whole restaurant 'concept', and only accept walk-in takeaways..

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Agree.

Agree.