+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Prince William inherits £1bn estate

Re: Prince William inherits £1bn estate

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    How do you think things should play out if Scotland and Wales voted to abolish/ignore the monarchy?
    Play out in what respect?

Quote Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
    I haven't, have you?
    Have I? Yes, loads. I’ve moaned about the weather, Cardiff City’s team selection, the price of fuel, traffic and a hundred other things that I can’t control in my life,

Even if you can convince yourself that you’ve never done those things you’re literally moaning about what you perceive as a gang mentality on the Hitler thread you absolute lunatic

And they seem such nice people.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Because if they're no longer members of the Royal family, and are just regular citizens like the rest of us, then the same rules should apply to them as us.
    ok, lets assume they are normal people like the rest of us. Why do you think a normal person would be taxed on the inheritance?

If they did, then Andrew wouldn't have been able to receive a £12m gift off his mother without it being subject to tax either.
    cash gifts are subject to potentially expect transfers

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Now do land, which is what this thread was about at the start.
    The Duchies or Cornwall and Lancaster are legal trusts therefore they are treated very differently. There is also no inheritance tax on agricultural land. This is sensible. If IHT was charged, then farms would not be passed down the generations and valuable farming skills would be lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Being against something doesn't make someone bitter and twisted. (If so, you are bitter and twisted against republicans).
    Secondly, posters have given various reasons for their being against the concept of royalty and not just on financial grounds.
    Thirdly, "being brought up on our history" is totally meaningless (and which included slavery, boys having to climb up chimneys, killing aboriginal people etc).
    Fourthly, the concept of royalty is not unique to this country (even if their semi-deification seems that way).
    Are you sure about that? slavery has never been legal in the UK. See Somerset v Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    ok, lets assume they are normal people like the rest of us. Why do you think a normal person would be taxed on the inheritance?
    Because its the law. I haven't said that though that I agree with it, just questioning why the same rules apply.
    For the record I don't like the concept of inheritance tax.

Because its the law. I haven't said that though that I agree with it, just questioning why the same rules apply.
    there are arguments for and against inheritance tax, but whether you agree to have high or low inheritance tax it should at least be consistent for everyone. no reason at all that the personal wealth of the queen isn't taxed. the crown estate I can understand because they don't own it.

Normal people aren't taxed on inheritance. In this respect William et al are being treated the same as everyone else.

Normal people aren't taxed on inheritance. In this respect William et al are being treated the same as everyone else.
    they are if its above a certain amount

The Duchies or Cornwall and Lancaster are legal trusts therefore they are treated very differently. There is also no inheritance tax on agricultural land. This is sensible. If IHT was charged, then farms would not be passed down the generations and valuable farming skills would be lost.
    The thread wasn't begun to discuss tax implications. There is a ridiculous amount of land in the control of the royals. This should be remembered the next time people grumble that we're a small island and too full to accept immigration.

Are you sure about that? slavery has never been legal in the UK. See Somerset v Stuart
    You seriously think that Britain never had any involvement with slavery?

I thought Colston took volunteer workers on his ships to America?

Zero inheritance tax applies when property passes from sovereign to sovereign.
    Yup, also we can't know how much private wealth she left as royal wills are secret. And soon he will take an oath to maintain the Anglican protestant succession, a relic of 17th century bigotry which bars Catholics and non-Anglicans from the succession. Why is all this necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    they are if its above a certain amount
    the only time an individual is taxed on any inheritance they receive is if they have received a gift from the deceased's estate within 7 years of death and the value of the estate is above the combined nil rate band and residential nil rate band..

That's not what I said, but to clarify, the UK's involvement with slavery was apropos of Empire, which you'll understand no longer exists.

That's not what I said, but to clarify, the UK's involvement with slavery was apropos of Empire, which you'll understand no longer exists.
    I would suggest that you re-read the muddled post that I responded to.

the only time an individual is taxed on any inheritance they receive is if they have received a gift from the deceased's estate within 7 years of death and the value of the estate is above the combined nil rate band and residential nil rate band..
    how about the 12 million quid that they paid to the girl that Andrew nonced.
    should that be free from inheritance tax?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    how about the 12 million quid that they paid to the girl that Andrew nonced.
    should that be free from inheritance tax?
    Under current rules Andrew would be liable to around £4.8m in IHT.

International

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    People die on the streets of Cardiff, in hostels and in hospitals most nights

The life expectancy of homeless people is around 50

But never mind that , God save the queen
    God, you are so 8th Septermber!!!

I would suggest that you re-read the muddled post that I responded to.
    I have, it was this post.

Alfresco makes it clear they are discussing "this country" and "this island"...not empire, not commonwealth. Ergo its not clear why you feel the need to mention slavery, given its never been legal in any part of the UK (certainly not since Harold Godwinson).

I have, it was this post.

Alfresco makes it clear they are discussing "this country" and "this island"...not empire, not commonwealth. Ergo its not clear why you feel the need to mention slavery, given its never been legal in any part of the UK (certainly not since Harold Godwinson).
    He stated "Get rid of them so we can save a few bob, beggars belief that people who were brought up on our history want to get shot of it."

My point is that just because something is part of our history doesn't mean we have to like it or maintain it. And as for being 'brought up' on our history, when I was being 'brought up' I learned about all sorts of things in 'our history' which we do not condone today. It's as simple as that.
    I now realise who the poster was and shouldn't have wasted my time.

He stated "Get rid of them so we can save a few bob, beggars belief that people who were brought up on our history want to get shot of it."

My point is that just because something is part of our history doesn't mean we have to like it or maintain it. And as for being 'brought up' on our history, when I was being 'brought up' I learned about all sorts of things in 'our history' which we do not condone today. It's as simple as that.
    I now realise who the poster was and shouldn't have wasted my time.
    My comment was in response to your claim that slavery was part of UK's history. Its never been legal here, and the UK did its utmost to stamp out the slave trade (West Africa Squadron). Slavery has as much to do with the UK's history as the international drug trade today.