Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
Although I do genuinely respect and understand the position of being a republican (I am in a theoretical if not practical sense one my self). I also respect someone may personally dislike the queen herself, although that is I think a far less common position and I am not sure it is yours. I also totally understand, and agree with, people thinking a lot of the coverage is a bit much.

However, I am not sure I understand the stance that someone who is undoubtedly as interested in politics and global affairs as you seem to be, in wanting to ignore it all?

There is the history, her history, out countries history, what she represents, linking the Britain of the war to the Britain of today.

There's the politics of what happens to the commonwealth countries, what happens to national bonds within the UK, how do our party leaders react? Does everyone coming together in the UK help ease EU or Irish border tensions? Has the period of non politics impacted the new PM's first weeks positively or not? Will it increase support for the monarchy or does her passing drive support for a republic?

Does the UK's standing in the world increase? Does it matter? These king of events can change opinions and politics, sometimes subtly, sometimes significantly.

There's just so much to absorb with it. Even if you wish it wasn't so, the fact is that it is news, and don't understand ignoring it all for that reason alone.
People coming together? I dont think this country has ever been as divided. Majority of folk I know are utterly effed off having this deferential pish rammed down our necks all day and every day.