+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: “The silent majority” - yeah right.

“The silent majority” - yeah right.

So, as the mainstream media begins its fifth day of wall to wall fawning coverage of the Queen’s death and King’s accession, I find myself increasingly asking when will this ever end? Listening to Radio 5 on the car radio just now, I had the misfortune to hear an interview with a Royal photographer who proclaimed that the public reaction to the passing of the Queen as shown on the BBC was a case of us seeing the silent majority in action - silent? He has to be joking, they haven’t bloody stopped talking on the media outlets I’ve been watching and listening to for the last five days

What about what I’ll call the ignored minority? I would guess many of them are similar to me in that they were prepared to pay respectful tribute to the Queen on Thursday, but now feel things are going too far when a body like the BBC with its supposedly neutral stance is still not seeing fit to give time to an opposing point of view - by that, I don’t just mean committed republicans, I mean normal people who do not believe that the representation of the UK portrayed by the mainstream media for the past five days is a correct one.

Re: “The silent majority” - yeah right.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    So, as the mainstream media begins its fifth day of wall to wall fawning coverage of the Queen’s death and King’s accession, I find myself increasingly asking when will this ever end? Listening to Radio 5 on the car radio just now, I had the misfortune to hear an interview with a Royal photographer who proclaimed that the public reaction to the passing of the Queen as shown on the BBC was a case of us seeing the silent majority in action - silent? He has to be joking, they haven’t bloody stopped talking on the media outlets I’ve been watching and listening to for the last five days

What about what I’ll call the ignored minority? I would guess many of them are similar to me in that they were prepared to pay respectful tribute to the Queen on Thursday, but now feel things are going too far when a body like the BBC with its supposedly neutral stance is still not seeing fit to give time to an opposing point of view - by that, I don’t just mean committed republicans, I mean normal people who do not believe that the representation of the UK portrayed by the mainstream media for the past five days is a correct one.
    The wall-to-wall 24 hour coverage is absolutey appalling. I wrote to the BBC after all their radio stations were simultaneously taken over by the same long and obsequious tribute to the Duke of Edinburgh. At the moment, it seems a waste of time even tuning into BBC 1 if you aren't persuaded that the deceased lady was like a steadfast and loyal grandmother to you and the very backbone of British life.
    I dreaded the passing of the sovereign but I think that the coverage is even more OTT than I feared.
    I'm starting to sympathise with North Koreans......

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The wall-to-wall 24 hour coverage is absolutey appalling. I wrote to the BBC after all their radio stations were simultaneously taken over by the same long and obsequious tribute to the Duke of Edinburgh. At the moment, it seems a waste of time even tuning into BBC 1 if you aren't persuaded that the deceased lady was like a steadfast and loyal grandmother to you and the very backbone of British life.
    I dreaded the passing of the sovereign but I think that the coverage is even more OTT than I feared.
    I'ts not even just the BBC. I've been trying desperately to get even a smidgen of normal news from around the planet on Sky News, my usual go to telly news channel. Not a hope!

For the Beeb's Nick Witchell they've got Alastair Bruce, another with a voice designed to send you to despair. There are hugely important and consequential events and circumstances occurring throughout the world but it seems we, the Brits, are purposefully denied access to that information. It's completely wrong and spooky.

What particularly boils my piss is the obvious fact that these channels could have foreseen this event happening and planned beforehand so that certain of them would have the wall to wall coverage for those that would want it and others could carry on with normal programming. Simples!!!

I'd give the propaganda a score of 11 out of 10, it's been really slick. As for the BBC's supposedly neutral stance, that made me laugh. You obviously haven't been paying attention all these years

I don't watch terrestrial TV channels nowadays, I limit my viewing to free satellite film channels, mostly Talking Pictures. Even on that it has gotten on my wick with tributes to her during every commercial break and between each film.

I had never heard my old man make a complimentary remark about any member of that clan until Princess Diana died and he had subjected himself to non-stop propaganda on the box until her funeral. He carried on as if he had lost a great friend rather than a complete stranger who was a pampered fake blonde with a giraffe neck, long pointy hooter, enormous feet and knobbly knees. I was embarrassed.

It was then I realised how powerful the media is at brainwashing through repetition and other means because I had assumed he'd be immune to any of that re any royal.

I'm reminded of one of Malcolm X's more famous quotes: “The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power."

The gall of the BBC for years to air flat earthers, anti vaxxers, holocaust deniers and general conspiracy theorists in the spirit of balanced impartiality and then silence any dissent of the monarchy is shocking.

I think part of the problem is the sheer amount of time dedicated to this event. There comes a point where enough has been said and they become idiotic in their fawning, exaggerated speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    I think part of the problem is the sheer amount of time dedicated to this event. There comes a point where enough has been said and they become idiotic in their fawning, exaggerated speech.
    Nicholas Witchell is adding you to his little black book right now.

The Royal family and all their fans can naff off

There are North Koreans who are sympathising with us.

This reinforces my view the license fee should be scrapped. The BBC stands for protecting and projecting the establishment.
    The never ending coverage of the Royal Family is absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    There are North Koreans who are sympathising with us.
    And to the south The Seoul Crew are too.

Committed republicans are ‘normal people’ too!

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    I don't watch terrestrial TV channels nowadays, I limit my viewing to free satellite film channels, mostly Talking Pictures. Even on that it has gotten on my wick with tributes to her during every commercial break and between each film.

I had never heard my old man make a complimentary remark about any member of that clan until Princess Diana died and he had subjected himself to non-stop propaganda on the box until her funeral. He carried on as if he had lost a great friend rather than a complete stranger who was a pampered fake blonde with a giraffe neck, long pointy hooter, enormous feet and knobbly knees. I was embarrassed.

It was then I realised how powerful the media is at brainwashing through repetition and other means because I had assumed he'd be immune to any of that re any royal.

I'm reminded of one of Malcolm X's more famous quotes: “The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power."
    I have long suspected that you were another slave to the tabloid infatuation with body image.

This is not the first time you have pitched a denunciation of someone in the MSM news or fashion coverage with a sneering put down of their appearance - physical features or choice of clothing.

For your own sanity Organ please rise above it. Free your mind! Look beyond the wrapping to what is inside. Cancel your Hello subscription.

Except for your Sludge pieces of course!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Committed republicans are ‘normal people’ too!
    Yes, that occurred to me when I read it back! I'd have been better off saying that I don't believe it was only committed republicans who would have been heartily fed up of the mainstream media's coverage.

Yes, that occurred to me when I read it back! I'd have been better off saying that I don't believe it was only committed republicans who would have been heartily fed up of the mainstream media's coverage.
    Thanks for that Bob, I'm feeling a bit.more "normal" now.

I have to say I've been rather taken aback the last few days. My general view on this is that in theory I'm a republican - any new society would be mad to set up a monarchy held by one family. However, in practice, I think an apolitical head of state is actually quite a calming influence on the country. I also just don't see what an elected one would bring to the table in the UK in 2022.

I have a pretty diverse range of friends and in the day or so before the queen died, loads of them were making little jokes, not taking it seriously, not so much laughing about it, but not being respectful either, and nor was I. I did wonder how it would all pan out, whether there was much of a genuine sense of loss etc.

Since then, I have been very impressed with the whole operation. I think Scotland looked absolutely beautiful when the queen was taken from Balmoral on sunday morning, and I found the whole thing quite captivating. Edinburgh yesterday looked one of the most stunning cities on earth, and it was broadcast around the world. It did make me proud to be honest and made this Cardiffian very jealous of the show Edinburgh put on.

We've talked about the right to protest, which people have and I totally defend, but I have also been struck by the lack of it. Both amongst aforementioned friends, but also on the processions and on twitter etc. I've just checked some Liverpool forums and the overriding belief is that the club and supporters should be very respectful tonight in the minutes silence.

In terms of a majority or minority, I don't know the answer, but like I said, I've been taken aback by the level of heartfelt respect shown to the queen and I don't think I realised the level of respect I had for her as a person if not the wider institution per se. I think the country has looked beautiful and I think it has helped bring people together a little if I'm honest.

I've found the TV coverage a bit OTT, but also of a very high quality and curiously captivating. I found Charles walking behind the coffin up the Royal Mile in Edinburgh yesterday very inspirational.

I dunno. Last week I thought it all seemed way OTT, now in the midst of it, I am quite liking some of the serenity, calm and respect it seems to have brought to public discourse. Maybe it was only the queen that could bring Nicola Sturgeon, Liz Truss, Drakeford etc all on the same page, but in her passing she seems to have done it and I welcome that.

I'd say my respect for the institution and our country has only gone up in the last week and speaking to people, I think that is the case for many.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Maybe it was only the queen that could bring Nicola Sturgeon, Liz Truss, Drakeford etc all on the same page, but in her passing she seems to have done it and I welcome that.
    Slightly surprised at this naivety - you have no idea if they're on the same page or not, they could think it's all a load of all bollocks, they're just doing what they have to because anything else would be potentially political suicide

I have to say I've been rather taken aback the last few days. My general view on this is that in theory I'm a republican - any new society would be mad to set up a monarchy held by one family. However, in practice, I think an apolitical head of state is actually quite a calming influence on the country. I also just don't see what an elected one would bring to the table in the UK in 2022.

I have a pretty diverse range of friends and in the day or so before the queen died, loads of them were making little jokes, not taking it seriously, not so much laughing about it, but not being respectful either, and nor was I. I did wonder how it would all pan out, whether there was much of a genuine sense of loss etc.

Since then, I have been very impressed with the whole operation. I think Scotland looked absolutely beautiful when the queen was taken from Balmoral on sunday morning, and I found the whole thing quite captivating. Edinburgh yesterday looked one of the most stunning cities on earth, and it was broadcast around the world. It did make me proud to be honest and made this Cardiffian very jealous of the show Edinburgh put on.

We've talked about the right to protest, which people have and I totally defend, but I have also been struck by the lack of it. Both amongst aforementioned friends, but also on the processions and on twitter etc. I've just checked some Liverpool forums and the overriding belief is that the club and supporters should be very respectful tonight in the minutes silence.

In terms of a majority or minority, I don't know the answer, but like I said, I've been taken aback by the level of heartfelt respect shown to the queen and I don't think I realised the level of respect I had for her as a person if not the wider institution per se. I think the country has looked beautiful and I think it has helped bring people together a little if I'm honest.

I've found the TV coverage a bit OTT, but also of a very high quality and curiously captivating. I found Charles walking behind the coffin up the Royal Mile in Edinburgh yesterday very inspirational.

I dunno. Last week I thought it all seemed way OTT, now in the midst of it, I am quite liking some of the serenity, calm and respect it seems to have brought to public discourse. Maybe it was only the queen that could bring Nicola Sturgeon, Liz Truss, Drakeford etc all on the same page, but in her passing she seems to have done it and I welcome that.

I'd say my respect for the institution and our country has only gone up in the last week and speaking to people, I think that is the case for many.
    Germany has an apolitical Head of State whose position is not dependent in being born in a wealthy, white, protestant bed.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Slightly surprised at this naivety - you have no idea if they're on the same page or not, they could think it's all a load of all bollocks, they're just doing what they have to because anything else would be potentially political suicide
    Well I'm not naive about it. I don't doubt they all have differing opinions on it, but in a way that a death can bring a family together, politically at least and no doubt temporarily, it has bought warring factions together and that's no bad thing.

Germany has an apolitical Head of State whose position is not dependent in being born in a wealthy, white, protestant bed.
    Of course, as do many other countries, but demonstrably how are they better off for it? Starting from scratch I don't doubt it's a better route to go down, but we aren't starting from scratch and I think we would lose more than we gain in becoming a republic now.

Of course, as do many other countries, but demonstrably how are they better off for it? Starting from scratch I don't doubt it's a better route to go down, but we aren't starting from scratch and I think we would lose more than we gain in becoming a republic now.
    It's impossible to quantify how we would be better off for it but Germany doesn't have a class system like over here, the state doesn't encourage elite schooling, hereditary peers don't have a say in the machinations of government and students from just one or two elite universities don't dominate certain areas of the establishment like over here. I think that elitism is hugely divisive and corrosive in this country and permeates many areas of life.

It's impossible to quantify how we would be better off for it but Germany doesn't have a class system like over here, the state doesn't encourage elite schooling, hereditary peers don't have a say in the machinations of government and students from just one or two elite universities don't dominate certain areas of the establishment like over here. I think that elitism is hugely divisive and corrosive in this country and permeates many areas of life.
    Very well said.

Yes, it's not a black and white issue for me, and I do understand the theoretical argument that an unelected head of state chosen from one family can 'normalise' other things within society that are fundementally not equal.

I suppose this is where the theoretical benefits of it clash with the reality. I am not sure that the things you mention would be remotely impacted by our becoming a republic. I'm not aware that republics are more equal societies or that an elected head of state creates better governance.

I completely agree on hereditary peers. I would abolish them immediately, but again, whilst there may be an ideological link with the royal family, the two are independent. We could abolish them and maintain the current system for head of state.

It's also true that the UK is too dominated by two universities, but equally if you look at almost any global ranking, the UK has at least half a dozen universities before the first German.

I dunno, I take your point, but I think the UK has looked great in the last week, and the coverage is something you can't buy. I'm just not sure that in practice you are offering anything better than what we currently have.

Yes, it's not a black and white issue for me, and I do understand the theoretical argument that an unelected head of state chosen from one family can 'normalise' other things within society that are fundementally not equal.

I suppose this is where the theoretical benefits of it clash with the reality. I am not sure that the things you mention would be remotely impacted by our becoming a republic. I'm not aware that republics are more equal societies or that an elected head of state creates better governance.

I completely agree on hereditary peers. I would abolish them immediately, but again, whilst there may be an ideological link with the royal family, the two are independent. We could abolish them and maintain the current system for head of state.

It's also true that the UK is too dominated by two universities, but equally if you look at almost any global ranking, the UK has at least half a dozen universities before the first German.

I dunno, I take your point, but I think the UK has looked great in the last week, and the coverage is something you can't buy. I'm just not sure that in practice you are offering anything better than what we currently have.
    I don't think the UK looked great at all. I found it incredibly embarrassing that people (subjects of Her majesty rather than citizens) fawn over members of royalty that they have absolutely nothing in common with and in the most infantilising way. Let's leave it at that. For my part, I can live without kings and queens, baron, hereditary peers, honours systems and all the other medieval bullshit.