+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EFL to resume from Tuesday September 13th

Football is back

Statement from the FAW this morning

https://www.faw.cymru/en/news/faw-st...ption-fixtures

Re: Football is back

Let's hope that Chuck doesn't peg it for a few weeks.

yey!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Statement from the FAW this morning

https://www.faw.cymru/en/news/faw-st...ption-fixtures
    Assume we need to wait a similar message from the efl??

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Assume we need to wait a similar message from the efl??
    By the looks of it the Premier league and EFL have yet to make a statement. Wouldn't surprise me if some matches in London at the weekend will be postponed due to the numbers of people travelling and policing, so maybe their statements will be a bit more detailed.

Heard Henry Winter being interviewed on 5 Live this morning. He was adamant that it was the right decision to call off “elite” football for the weekend, but couldn’t understand why lower level and junior football wasn’t allowed to go ahead.

He claimed that it was a fear of “Football’s day of shame” type headlines that prompted the authorities to make the decision they did as they thought just one example of a silence or God Save the King being disrespectful would guarantee stacks of bad publicity worldwide for the game - I’d say putting off that time in the hope that people who might have been prepared to do that will feel differently a few days later is very naive, in fact I’d say that it may have made it more likely.

EFL to resume from Tuesday September 13th

The EFL fixture programme will return as scheduled from Tuesday 13 September, with tributes to be paid to Her late Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II at grounds around the country.

A minute’s silence will be held before matches, with black armbands to be worn by participants, flags to be flown at half-mast and the National Anthem to be played in stadiums.

With a national policing plan now in operation, the League and Clubs will continue to work with forces in respect of any challenges that may emerge regarding policing of specific fixtures.

Consideration to individual circumstances will be made on a case-by-case basis, in line with standard match Safety Advisory Group (SAG) protocols.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Heard Henry Winter being interviewed on 5 Live this morning. He was adamant that it was the right decision to call off “elite” football for the weekend, but couldn’t understand why lower level and junior football wasn’t allowed to go ahead.

He claimed that it was a fear of “Football’s day of shame” type headlines that prompted the authorities to make the decision they did as they thought just one example of a silence or God Save the King being disrespectful would guarantee stacks of bad publicity worldwide for the game - I’d say putting off that time in the hope that people who might have been prepared to do that will feel differently a few days later is very naive, in fact I’d say that it may have made it more likely.
    My thoughts exactly, I really think they should grow up.

Totally agree anyone who wants to do is being given more time to build up their ansgt and frustrstion

Personally don't see why people need to do it - let people who want to mourn, celebrate, recognise life events etc without this need for interference or disruption

If you want to boo the Queen or the national anthem set up your own event to do it and seek out like minded people

Re: EFL to resume from Tuesday September 13th

Hope the fans making the trip to Boro are respectful of the anthem as it will only be bad PR for us and latched on by the English media?

Piss take they've still not decided on next Saturday's fixtures. She's been dead 5 days now, surely they know the police presence required in London next weekend. I thought operation London Bridge was supposed to have these sorts of things covered?

Hope the fans making the trip to Boro are respectful of the anthem as it will only be bad PR for us and latched on by the English media?
    **** PR, if people are dissatisfied with the unfair system we have in this country then they are entitled to voice that

Free speech is free speech

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Piss take they've still not decided on next Saturday's fixtures. She's been dead 5 days now, surely they know the police presence required in London next weekend. I thought operation London Bridge was supposed to have these sorts of things covered?
    From The Guardian

The Football League has confirmed that it will play its midweek fixtures but there are growing concerns that a significant part of the weekend’s programme could yet be postponed because of the Queen’s funeral.

Officers from across the country are expected to be drafted into London over the coming days and for the ceremony itself, stretching resources in the capital and in other major cities.

The Premier League said it was working behind the scenes to get games on, where possible, before more meetings with the government today.

Meanwhile a Football League source told the Guardian that while it wanted to play as many games as possible this weekend, and nothing was definitive, it would count as a success if the majority of the games kicked off then.

Uefa is expecting all the Champions League matches involving English teams, including Liverpool’s home match against Ajax on Tuesday and Chelsea’s and Manchester City’s games against Salzburg and Borussia Dortmund respectively on Wednesday.

However on Monday morning a source said that Arsenal’s home Europa League match against PSV remains up in the air partly because of policing issues and partly because it is a higher-risk game because of PSV fans.

If that game were postponed over policing concerns it seems unlikely that Saturday’s Tottenham v Leicester match would take place. Sunday’s Manchester United v Leeds, Brentford v Arsenal and Chelsea v Liverpool games are also major doubts given the large number of resources needed at these matches.

Meanwhile in the Championship, Millwall, QPR and Watford are due to be at home on Saturday, when Leyton Orient and Sutton United are the London clubs due to be playing home games in League Two.

In a statement the EFL confirmed that the fixture programme would return as scheduled from Tuesday, with tributes to be paid to Queen Elizabeth II.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Free speech is free speech
    Correct, that's the consequence of a democracy.

If you want to boo the Queen or the national anthem set up your own event to do it and seek out like minded people
    This is a mad statement, the football isn’t an event that the people who want to mourn have set up so they can do so so why should the people who feel differently have to set one up for themselves? And there’ll be plenty of like minded people at the football, which presumably is what they’re worried about.

I’m not planning on booing by the way, I think the whole concept of monarchy is ridiculous and I hate the “we will serve you oh King” bollocks of it, and don’t get me started on the whole concept of a Prince if Wales, but I’m not going to boo a grieving family to air those grievances right now

Yes free speech but also a bit of respect, some people are just plain nasty.

Give it 3 games and us City fans wish it never started again.

I think it’s pretty clear the people who run football, hate football fans, and I’m not even sure if they like football. The same could be said for cricket and rugby as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilled of Llanishen View Post
    Yes free speech but also a bit of respect, some people are just plain nasty.
    Exactly.

Just stay in the concourse until the minute silence and anthem are over and done with.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I think it’s pretty clear the people who run football, hate football fans, and I’m not even sure if they like football. The same could be said for cricket and rugby as well.
    They like the dosh though.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    This is a mad statement, the football isn’t an event that the people who want to mourn have set up so they can do so so why should the people who feel differently have to set one up for themselves? And there’ll be plenty of like minded people at the football, which presumably is what they’re worried about.

I’m not planning on booing by the way, I think the whole concept of monarchy is ridiculous and I hate the “we will serve you oh King” bollocks of it, and don’t get me started on the whole concept of a Prince if Wales, but I’m not going to boo a grieving family to air those grievances right now
    Totally agree with you and maybe didn't word as well as I should have

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    **** PR, if people are dissatisfied with the unfair system we have in this country then they are entitled to voice that
    Yes but there's plenty of ways of doing that respectfully and policy or law change doesn't get changed through booing at a football match and like I said will give us a club bad press when there is enough of that associated with our club anyway

But you are right if people want to voice their opinions then they have the right to do that I just hope they don't choose tomorrow and the anthem

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    Exactly.

Just stay in the concourse until the minute silence and anthem are over and done with.
    Exactly

Arsenal v PSV on Thursday has been postponed. Doesn't bode well for the weekend fixtures....