+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: arrests for protesting the new head of state

arrests for protesting the new head of state

Re: arrests for protesting the new head of state

I think it's Section 5 of the Public Order Act which is the catch-all one senior coppers use to break up demos they are told to dislike. I agree though it is troubling.

This is vile and just plain wrong. The authorities should hold their heads in shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    This is only the beginning, just wait and see what else they have in store for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    I think it's Section 5 of the Public Order Act which is the catch-all one senior coppers use to break up demos they are told to dislike. I agree though it is troubling.
    Is that the new one they just brought in?

I'll be first to put up against the wall and shot.

And probably fed to the corgis afterwards.

“Cause a reasonable person fear or alarm”? Seriously?

Brought in for anti Brexit and cost of living demos - oh and people glueing themselves to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    “Cause a reasonable person fear or alarm”? Seriously?
    Bob, this catch-all law was put in place for what is coming down the pipeline, and what you are seeing now is just the preliminary testing. Notice that they rolled it out under the new monarch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Brought in for anti Brexit and cost of living demos - oh and people glueing themselves to the road.
    It's a recently passed law designed to suppress any kind of protest that they don't like

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    It's a recently passed law designed to suppress any kind of protest that they don't like
    Actually s5 POA has been around since 1986 but knock yourself out anyway

Yeah this is concerning, and a classic case of free speech vs causing offence.

I guess the police's argument is that they don't know everyone's motives and this is all surrounding a funeral, making any statements particularly offensive, or inflamatory. Absolutely right that they haven't been charged.

I agree with this summary:
    https://order-order.com/2022/09/12/p...ester-charged/

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I'll be first to put up against the wall and shot.

And probably fed to the corgis afterwards.
    Their vegans and living with Andrew now on digestive biscuits due to the cost of living crisis

Crazy , however I'm in London on Monday for the state funereal, and will personally deal with any disrespectfulness in my own way .

There is a time and place this isn't the time or place . its called respect ...........

If they want a demo then do one through the streets on London or Balmoral next weekend via the democratic right they have ..

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Crazy , however I'm in London on Monday for the state funereal, and will personally deal with any disrespectfulness in my own way .

There is a time and place this isn't the time or place . its called respect ...........

If they want a demo then do one through the streets on London or Balmoral next weekend via the democratic right they have ..
    It is about respect, and anyone who heckles and protests at a funeral is very disrespectful and likely a total arsehole.

But it isn't illegal to be an arsehole, and if done respectfully and plainly in a non-violent way then that should be no problem; a part of the tolerance we all need to show in a civilised society.

The issue the police face I guess is in a threat to the peace, in much the same way that a placard peacefully slagging off Allah at a muslim clerics funeral would not purely be viewed as a peaceful protest, even if the act itself absolutely is.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    It is about respect, and anyone who heckles and protests at a funeral is very disrespectful and likely a total arsehole.

But it isn't illegal to be an arsehole, and if done respectfully and plainly in a non-violent way then that should be no problem; a part of the tolerance we all need to show in a civilised society.

The issue the police face I guess is in a threat to the peace, in much the same way that a placard peacefully slagging off Allah at a Muslim clerics funeral would not purely be viewed as a peaceful protest, even if the act itself absolutely is.
    Your right of course , without being too disrespectful towards the police ( who put up with so much personal abuse) from protesters, you do wonder how well they do keep there tempers , police get : spat at , abused , racial insult , sexist remarks, many other dreadful things chucked at them for just doing their job , just trying to keep control.

Its rather interesting how demonstrators don't seem to get the same critics when attacking a police person .

The days of respect are long gone ( even on this board ) including so called peace loving demonstrators some of whom are simply hired thugs , yes someone funds this one City not far from us , has a very lucrative paid up workforce ..

If you stand back and watch any demonstration long enough you will spot the real demonstrators from the guns for hire ...

Extinction Rebellion protests alone have cost police £60million since 2019.

Police service for the Greater London area, (excluding City of London) and its 8.6 million residents..

43k officers/ staff in the Met , which is by far the largest police service in UK , and costs approximately 25% of the total police budget for England and Wales. just imagine how many more officers could be solving crimes if we had less strain on the Met just from less Demonstrations or peaceful ones , I'm not advocating this , but lets think on how many people suffer from crime because of that strain on this police budget .

One other key point and that's terrorism , you can easily embed your self into a group of demonstrators for all the wrong reasons and get near enough to something / someone to cause serous problems, hence the zero tolerance approach by the police , as you would never know would you ??? who in the crowd is for real or not ??

Up the revolution , all for a well meaning cause I'm sure , which one though is up for debate ?????

Your right of course , without being too disrespectful towards the police ( who put up with so much personal abuse) from protesters, you do wonder how well they do keep there tempers , police get : spat at , abused , racial insult , sexist remarks, many other dreadful things chucked at them for just doing their job , just trying to keep control.

Its rather interesting how demonstrators don't seem to get the same critics when attacking a police person .

The days of respect are long gone ( even on this board ) including so called peace loving demonstrators some of whom are simply hired thugs , yes someone funds this one City not far from us , has a very lucrative paid up workforce ..

If you stand back and watch any demonstration long enough you will spot the real demonstrators from the guns for hire ...

Extinction Rebellion protests alone have cost police £60million since 2019.

Police service for the Greater London area, (excluding City of London) and its 8.6 million residents..

43k officers/ staff in the Met , which is by far the largest police service in UK , and costs approximately 25% of the total police budget for England and Wales. just imagine how many more officers could be solving crimes if we had less strain on the Met just from less Demonstrations or peaceful ones , I'm not advocating this , but lets think on how many people suffer from crime because of that strain on this police budget .

One other key point and that's terrorism , you can easily embed your self into a group of demonstrators for all the wrong reasons and get near enough to something / someone to cause serous problems, hence the zero tolerance approach by the police , as you would never know would you ??? who in the crowd is for real or not ??

Up the revolution , all for a well meaning cause I'm sure , which one though is up for debate ?????
    Yes, let's not ever protest; let's just tug our forelock, bend over obligingly and keep a stiff upper lip while we get shafted mercilessly. Good idea that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Yes, let's not ever protest; let's just tug our forelock, bend over obligingly and keep a stiff upper lip while we get shafted mercilessly. Good idea that.
    That's not what was said, you are twisting things considerably here.

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    That's not what was said, you are twisting things considerably here.
    always does if he cant understand what I'm saying that there is a balance between what it costs us, and the cost to police and protect others , well god helps us all , of course ones has the right to demonstrate, its when it used in a intimidating way , too often just to goad society and the the police its wrong , why do they have to smash small business windows/doors ,damage folks cars ,steal ......... wonder what one may think a relative died trying to get to a hospital because some halfwit has glued to the tarmac ffs

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    Actually s5 POA has been around since 1986 but knock yourself out anyway
    Actually Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Act 2022 but knock yourself out anyway

download (1).jpeg

always does if he cant understand what I'm saying that there is a balance between what it costs us, and the cost to police and protect others , well god helps us all , of course ones has the right to demonstrate, its when it used in a intimidating way , too often just to goad society and the the police its wrong , why do they have to smash small business windows/doors ,damage folks cars ,steal ......... wonder what one may think a relative died trying to get to a hospital because some halfwit has glued to the tarmac ffs
    I'm not quite sure what he, she or it did for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Actually Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Act 2022 but knock yourself out anyway
    Wrong the Act is from 1986 the guidlines were updated in 2022 but the offence is the same with an odd word changed, its been used by police re stroppy behaviour as well as public order situations since its inception