+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genuinely one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Genuinely one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read

I saw this earlier and thought that maybe Center Parcs would close their wave machines and not have any archery or zip lines for a few hours on the Queens funeral. Fair enough. Respectful etc.

But they are closing on Monday and actually turfing people out. It's incredible.

How can a company turn something like this into such awful PR?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62893476

Re: Genuinely one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read

See also: other funerals cancelled, operations cancelled, foodbanks closed on the day of the funeral

We also live in a country where one of the major supermarkets has turned down the volume of its checkout beeps as a mark of respect, the grieving competition is hotting up

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    See also: other funerals cancelled, operations cancelled, foodbanks closed on the day of the funeral

We also live in a country where one of the major supermarkets has turned down the volume of its checkout beeps as a mark of respect, the grieving competition is hotting up
    Ur that thug whose phone rang in Llanishen Morrisons earlier aren't you? I thought I recognised the blue helmet. Just stick it on silent and switch it back on Tuesday morning

But I thought you were a big fan.

It's the sort of thing you'd see in a Monty Python sketch or Fawlty Towers.

I think it's all been stopped now.

Who in their right mind, thought that this was a good idea

From the BBC website:

"Asda has joined a string of supermarkets in announcing that it will be shutting to observe the activities. Online deliveries will not be offered on the day either.

Odeon cinemas in the UK will also close on the day, reopening on Tuesday, while Hollywood Bowl said it will close until 13:30 on Monday.

Meanwhile, Currys has confirmed that it will close all of its stores across the UK on the day.

Other major businesses that have said they will be shut in the UK on Monday to mark the proceedings include:

Aldi
    Argos
    B&Q
    Blue Diamond Garden Centres
    Harrods
    Holland & Barrett
    Homebase
    Ikea
    John Lewis
    Lidl
    Morrisons
    Pets at Home
    Primark
    Sainsbury's (however, Sainsbury's convenience stores and petrol filling stations will be open from 17:00 until 22:00 while select stores in central London will open to serve people attending the funeral)
    Larger Tesco shops (the company's smaller Express shops will open at 17:00, but a small number of stores in central London and Windsor will remain open throughout the day to provide for people attending the funeral)
    Waitrose (a small number of Waitrose stores along the route of the procession may remain open)
    WH Smith high street stores (the company's travel stores will be closed at least for the duration of the funeral)
    Wilko"

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    From the BBC website:

"Asda has joined a string of supermarkets in announcing that it will be shutting to observe the activities. Online deliveries will not be offered on the day either.

Odeon cinemas in the UK will also close on the day, reopening on Tuesday, while Hollywood Bowl said it will close until 13:30 on Monday.

Meanwhile, Currys has confirmed that it will close all of its stores across the UK on the day.

Other major businesses that have said they will be shut in the UK on Monday to mark the proceedings include:

Aldi
    Argos
    B&Q
    Harrods
    Holland & Barrett
    Homebase
    Ikea
    John Lewis
    Lidl
    Morrisons
    Pets at Home
    Primark
    Sainsbury's (however, Sainsbury's convenience stores and petrol filling stations will be open from 17:00 until 22:00 while select stores in central London will open to serve people attending the funeral)
    Larger Tesco shops (the company's smaller Express shops will open at 17:00, but a small number of stores in central London and Windsor will remain open throughout the day to provide for people attending the funeral)
    Waitrose (a small number of Waitrose stores along the route of the procession may remain open)
    WH Smith high street stores (the company's travel stores will be closed at least for the duration of the funeral)
    Wilko"
    Couldnt Odeon have shown the proceedings for those who can't get front row seats?
    In all seriousness, it's a bit disappointing that so much is being closed for our bank holiday. Will end up staying in and putting the funeral on at this rate.

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    Couldnt Odeon have shown the proceedings for those who can't get front row seats?
    In all seriousness, it's a bit disappointing that so much is being closed for our bank holiday. Will end up staying in and putting the funeral on at this rate.

I joked earlier that Odeon could've showed the funeral, but Vue actually are. Unfortunately no popcorn or sweets available so to avoid disappointment take your own, as there is nothing to say that you can't do that. Anyone rustling will likely be arrested.

With this in mind, maybe they need to open fan zones etc so we can all watch it on a big screen with some burger vans, beer stalls and so on?
    https://www.myvue.com/news-competiti...n-elizabeth-ii

From the BBC website:
    Hollywood Bowl said it will close until 13:30 on Monday.
    How many people tend to go Bowling on a Monday morning anyway?

"I'm closing this bureau de change - for an hour" is brought to mind

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

That's monday morning bowling club cancelled then
    Seems a more sensible idea though, closing for the funeral. At least with this I can go to vue for the funeral then off for a game of bowling in the afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

Holland and Barrett have got some cheek, they don't start getting customers until a Thursday.

From the BBC website:

Aldi
    Argos
    B&Q
    Harrods
    Holland & Barrett
    Homebase
    Ikea
    John Lewis
    Lidl
    Morrisons
    Pets at Home
    Primark
    Wilko"
    It'll be a day to stay in bed; we can't do anything else for fear of being horsewhipped

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    It'll be a day to stay in bed; we can't do anything else for fear of being horsewhipped
    I was thinking about holding up a blank piece of paper in protest in the centre of Taunton but thought better of it lest I get shipped off to a gulag in Gloucestershire.

I was thinking about holding up a blank piece of paper in protest in the centre of Taunton but thought better of it lest I get shipped off to a gulag in Gloucestershire.
    Wear one of these t-shirts with your blank piece of paper and you are good to go. Subliminal messaging at it's finest, and the ultimate thought crime.

T.jpg

I see that Center Parcs have reversed their decision.

Imagine getting to that stage mind.

Both our names are already on the watch.list I'm sure lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Both our names are already on the watch.list I'm sure lol
    Canvas (1).jpg

I hope that justice is done and that both are banned for life from this board and the stadium.

On this same theme, what do CCMB'ers who plan to post messages here next Monday intend to do as a mark of respect?

I think I'll wear a tie and adopt a doleful expression.

Moggis, our leader, could create a sticky thread atop the main forum inviting members to post their tributes to QE2. He might, perhaps, as an incentive offer a small prize to whoever he chooses as the most obsequiously toe-curling submission.

My money would be on Taunton Blue Genie winning the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    On this same theme, what do CCMB'ers who plan to post messages here next Monday intend to do as a mark of respect?

I think I'll wear a tie and adopt a doleful expression.

Moggis, our leader, could create a sticky thread atop the main forum inviting members to post their tributes to QE2. He might, perhaps, as an incentive offer a small prize to whoever he chooses as the most obsequiously toe-curling submission.

My money would be on Taunton Blue Genie winning the competition.
    You are too kind. I shall be walking in The Quantocks and partaking of a picnic and prosecco with a lady I know. Miles from a TV, nowhere near a radio and far from the Union Jack-clad hordes weeping into their royal tea towels.

You are too kind. I shall be walking in The Quantocks and partaking of a picnic and prosecco with a lady I know. Miles from a TV, nowhere near a radio and far from the Union Jack-clad hordes weeping into their royal tea towels.
    Enjoy her quantocks, I mean the quantocks.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Enjoy her quantocks, I mean the quantocks.
    Presumably, you will be sat in front of the TV, watching the proceedings in your full Scouts regalia and curtseying every five minutes.

Presumably, you will be sat in front of the TV, watching the proceedings in your full Scouts regalia and curtseying every five minutes.
    Just watching the historic event with my kids and maybe a home made fry up