+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All Star game

All Star game

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62899010

Read about this yesterday. All star games in North America are a complete joke in all the sports.

He’s obviously totally out of touch with the cultural tribal nature of the sport.

I can’t imagine any circumstances where this would be well received

Re: All Star game

Callum Robinson would walk into the southern team..

Is this between 5 Star and The Belle Stars?

Would have been an idea in the eighties I suppose but I'm guessing their legs have gone now

I'd fancy 5 star- especially the one with big backside who sang at the front

I guess its a sign of the times they want to play a non sensical game like this - Rain or shine I can't see there being much demand for it

I'd also let our Max have a run out in the game but I'm sure Steadman would be better in the box

I think presenting these ideas for discussion is fair enough, but it's never struck me as a game that would interest me. I've spent some time in the States and all star games are sometimes a big deal, but I always found them just glorified friendlies.

These things can work. The state of origin games in Australian rugby league are massive affairs, and that broadly fits in with an 'all star game' kind of mentality, although it is so much more too, playing into historic inter-state rivalries.

Whatever it does, it shouldn't add to the already congested calendar. Maybe they could try it to replace the glamour friendlies the big clubs seem to play each summer in the far-east or something?

I'm not completely against it on principle like I am the idea of playing premier league games abroad, or rebrands or scrapping the league cup or european super leagues or whatever.

The MLB All-Star game is entertaining. So is the NHL game. The NBA and the Pro-Bowl are a waste of time. Anyway EPL clubs play too many games as it is. I hope this Bohly gut is as clueless as he sounds.,

How many on here would watch it? I wouldn’t.

it would be a great idea if all the proceeds went to lower league / grassroots clubs to help them survive ( the winter ), of course TV rights could be massive if sold around the world, just think your local club getting 10K to keep them afloat or renovate the changing rooms

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    it would be a great idea if all the proceeds went to lower league / grassroots clubs to help them survive ( the winter ), of course TV rights could be massive if sold around the world, just think your local club getting 10K to keep them afloat or renovate the changing rooms
    The Charity Shield doesn't even sell out and that's a proper match. Maybe in America they can get 90k people paying $200 a ticket for this sort of stuff but Wembley would be half full unless you offered cheap tickets. As for broadcasting revenue, how many people are going to pay a one off fee to watch a friendly match between 2 hodgepodge teams fans don't have any connection too?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I think presenting these ideas for discussion is fair enough, but it's never struck me as a game that would interest me. I've spent some time in the States and all star games are sometimes a big deal, but I always found them just glorified friendlies.

These things can work. The state of origin games in Australian rugby league are massive affairs, and that broadly fits in with an 'all star game' kind of mentality, although it is so much more too, playing into historic inter-state rivalries.

Whatever it does, it shouldn't add to the already congested calendar. Maybe they could try it to replace the glamour friendlies the big clubs seem to play each summer in the far-east or something?

I'm not completely against it on principle like I am the idea of playing premier league games abroad, or rebrands or scrapping the league cup or european super leagues or whatever.
    Can you imagine if there was a game with the intensity of the state of origin. Club managers would be doing their nut when they had their star players coming back injured and out for the season. I'd pay good money to watch the press conferences 🤣

Not advocating this idea at all but is this any more ridiculous than the friendlies some Premier League teams play in Asia against one another?

That is to build their own brand too. He is at least trying to put money into the smaller clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Not advocating this idea at all but is this any more ridiculous than the friendlies some Premier League teams play in Asia against one another?

That is to build their own brand too. He is at least trying to put money into the smaller clubs.
    While I think it's a crap idea that wouldn't work, totally agree with your message. It's no more pointless than some of the ridiculous friendlies. It is also getting completely overlooked or hidden in most reports that it was an idea to raise money for furrher down the pyramid.

Bit of fun if you can be arsed https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62899015

My money’s on North

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post

My money’s on North
    Some very good strikers on both sides, its not till you do things like that, the you realise the wealth of talent these top teams have

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    As for broadcasting revenue, how many people are going to pay a one off fee to watch a friendly match between 2 hodgepodge teams fans don't have any connection too?
    thats all about marketing, look at all the prem teams who play friendlies in Asia and the US, always get decent crowds

My money’s on North
    I couldn't be arsed hun

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I couldn't be arsed hun
    Rangers wouldn’t be involved

My money’s on North
    Which non-Man City/Liverpool players get into the North team?

I think it's a great idea, it just needs a few tweaks
    We could have four quarters instead of 2 halfs
    Only hot dogs and Bud sold in the concourse
    It could be made more exciting if we played goalie when
    Each offence would have to consist of five centre forwards, and as a nod to tactical genius the defence would be made up off 5 centre halves

Marching bands and goal music would add to the occasion
    Go Go Go South side strikers

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    Each offence would have to consist of five centre forwards, and as a nod to tactical genius the defence would be made up off 5 centre halves

But what happens when teams re-locate to the other end of the country?

The Franchise system has its benefits, if Man utd moves to Wembley their fans won't have so far to travel home
    Get with the program man

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post

You forgot :-
    Big star singing the national anthem to start
    the cheerleaders
    another big name half-time show

Think its a great idea :

Dump the Community shield and friendlies ( save on flight and pollution )
    Replace with North v South games for each league in that week and week before the season starts
    Player and mangers of the year pick the teams with % based so all clubs get a bite
    Ladies allowed in .
    All proceeds to charity
    Spread the tournament games by division through the UK and rotate them so we get see the Premiership one away form Wembley .
    No Offside rules .

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    You forgot :-
    Big star singing the national anthem to start
    the cheerleaders
    another big name half-time show
    Now you're just being silly

They don't have the equivalent of European Cup games so although for a good cause, it also helps fill their calendar.
    Our fixture congestion is bad enough!

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    thats all about marketing, look at all the prem teams who play friendlies in Asia and the US, always get decent crowds
    Thats only because the friendly games are played in far off countries where there is demand to see big teams that they would never otherwise be able to get to see live. Play the ‘all star’ game in the UK and you would be lucky to get anyone to go.