+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Scotland promoted to Nations League A

Scotland promoted to Nations League A

Good for them. I'll enjoy Wales playing at the World Cup.

Re: Scotland promoted to Nations League A

in pot 2 for 2024 euro qualifying, they must qualify then

Guaranteed a play off spot too. It seems to me it’s much more beneficial to be in Group B over Group A

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Good for them. I'll enjoy Wales playing at the World Cup.
    As a Scot I will take anything , we are normally bottom of the group or missing out in the last minute for anything that is going .

When you think back to how bad they’ve been it has been a great turn around for them.

They seem to have gone from having 0 quality to having quite a decent pool of players to pick from.

Seems like this makes our achievement in getting to league A seem less good

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    Guaranteed a play off spot too. It seems to me it’s much more beneficial to be in Group B over Group A

I have been wondering the same.....

Being good in Group B seems preferable to being a bit rubbish in Group A (maybe we have just been distracted by the WC) - I know that teams want to better themselves by playing against the best opposition but when I saw Wales' Group A I knew that it would be a struggle!

Without that Ukraine game we might have got something out of Poland over the 2 games.
    We are last of all the Group A teams, so a very slim chance of a play off spot that way. However, we are still pot 2 for 2024 qualifiers. A decent draw and we could easily finish top 2 which is a direct ticket to Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Without that Ukraine game we might have got something out of Poland over the 2 games.
    We are last of all the Group A teams, so a very slim chance of a play off spot that way. However, we are still pot 2 for 2024 qualifiers. A decent draw and we could easily finish top 2 which is a direct ticket to Germany.
    So if i understand it right...

If we finish in the top 2 we qualify

If we don't finish in the top 2 we need all but 4 of the league A teams to automatically qualify to then get a playoff spot. Germany are hosts so they don't count.

So we need a minimum of 11 out of the following teams to qualify automatically:
    Netherlands, Croatia, Spain, Italy, Denmark, Portugal, Belgium, Hungary, Switzerland, Poland, France, Austria, Czechia and England

Of those teams the first 10 will be trying to qualify from pot 1 and France, Austria, Czech England and Us will be in pot 2

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    So if i understand it right...

If we finish in the top 2 we qualify

If we don't finish in the top 2 we need all but 4 of the league A teams to automatically qualify to then get a playoff spot. Germany are hosts so they don't count.

So we need a minimum of 11 out of the following teams to qualify automatically:
    Netherlands, Croatia, Spain, Italy, Denmark, Portugal, Belgium, Hungary, Switzerland, Poland, France, Austria, Czechia and England

Of those teams the first 10 will be trying to qualify from pot 1 and France, Austria, Czech England and Us will be in pot 2

Pretty much. Easy, it's in the bag!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    As a Scot I will take anything , we are normally bottom of the group or missing out in the last minute for anything that is going .
    The irony of a scottish football fan complaining about being hard done be on a Welsh football board is outstanding!

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    The irony of a scottish football fan complaining about being hard done be on a Welsh football board is outstanding!
    My own thoughts, that was a bit rich!!

Its a Cardiff City Board.

Cardiff don't discriminate.

Let it go , how do you feel about the Romans ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    My own thoughts, that was a bit rich!!
    Jeez , here they all come ...

With the standard of international football getting better all the time and top coaches going to the so called lesser countries, I don’t read much into these “pot draws”.

These days any international team can get a result against a so called top team

Jimmy has dual nationality, the only bloke I know who'll drink whisky for breakfast while tuning up the motor in your coracle

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿✊🏾🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Quote Originally Posted by Splott-light... View Post
    Jimmy has dual nationality, the only bloke I know who'll drink whisky for breakfast while tuning up the motor in your coracle
    The old laverbread and haggis combo breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The old laverbread and haggis combo breakfast.
    No haggis these days unless its vegetarian haggis old bean.

Did Clovelly to Hartland Quay at the weekend . Clovelly is an interesting place , decent walk too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    No haggis these days unless its vegetarian haggis old bean.

Did Clovelly to Hartland Quay at the weekend . Clovelly is an interesting place , decent walk too.
    I used to have a Scottish mate stay with me during the week and fly home on weekends. We took turns to cook - and his speciality was haggis ratatouille.

The stretch of the SWCP south of Harltland Point is a strenuous one. I remember swearing to myself as I ascended up yet another incline on that stretch. I made the halfway point of the SWCP two weeks ago i.e. at Porthallow and proceeded to reach Falmouth a couple of days later. Off down there again in October.