+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Siouxsie & The Banshees original line up

Re: Siouxsie & The Banshees original line up

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    It was image over talent for the front men. there's a docu where steve thanks glen for playing the guitar parts on the album.
    What's it called? Glen never played any guitar on NMTB, and I think he might have played bass on one track before he left very early in the recording sessions. Sid might have played bass on two tracks, and Steve did the rest.

It was image over talent for the front men. there's a docu where steve thanks glen for playing the guitar parts on the album.
    If you’re interested, which it sounds like you at least might be, have a read of his book which I referenced earlier in the thread which NYC recommended (I just finished and it’s a really good read)
    Unless he’s lying in his book Wales-Bales representation is bang on.
    This link will give you a good flavour…

https://amp.wbur.org/news/2017/01/26...ls-steve-jones

His guitar style is very distinctive… listen to Jones and Cook in The Professionals and you’ll recognize the sound…

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    I beg to differ mate. I am a huge fan of the Ramones and was lucky enough to meet da brudders backstage at their Cardiff University gig in January 81. A lovely bunch of guys! I had a great chat with Joey Ramone about our shared love of 60s girl groups. However, Lynyrd Skynyrd's 'One More From The Road', Thin Lizzy's 'Live & Dangerous and Free 'Live', piss all over that album from great height.

Just as well we all like different music and have contrasting tastes though, as liking the same dozen bands would be boring, eh?
    Live & Dangerous is well known for having loads of studio overdubs.

Jones has said on many occasions a big thanks to Glen matlock for playing all the guitar parts on the album...after a year or two he learnt them himself...how the feck does that make him an amazing guitarist?... he's openly admitted time and time again that he couldn't play ...sid couldn't either...listening back im impressed with cook and lydon.
    It is well documented that Matlock was out of the band by the time the majority of NMTB was recorded and that Steve Jones played guitar and bass on all the tracks during that session. (March to July 1977). It's possible that some of Sid Vicious' bass playing made it onto the recording of Bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It is well documented that Matlock was out of the band by the time the majority of NMTB was recorded and that Steve Jones played guitar and bass on all the tracks during that session. (March to July 1977). It's possible that some of Sid Vicious' bass playing made it onto the recording of Bodies.
    I think Glen might have played bass on Anarchy in the UK before he left the band.

The general view is that Matlock wrote a lot of the music and Lydon the lyrics.

Steve's guitar work on Bollocks is a sonic masterpiece. The Johnny Thunders licks, the squelches of feedback, the power chords. How a rock guitar should sound like.

The guitar stories behind Never Mind The Bollocks, by Steve Jones.

God Save the Queen

“It was [original Sex Pistols bassist Glen] Matlock’s riff. We would just go down to the studio, he’d have a riff, [and] it’d sound completely different to how it’d turn out. It was very weenie and weird, and wouldn’t sound [like] much. But when I got hold of his riffs and converted them into my style, that sounded a lot more meat and potatoes.

Pretty Vacant

“Glen came up with the intro to this one. He’s not a guitar player. Well, he thinks he is, but he’s shit. He came up with some good riffs – Pretty Vacant is a classic riff – but if he was playing guitar on it, it wouldn’t be the song it turned out to be. He’s a way better bass player than I am, but you can hide that a little bit more.”

https://www.loudersound.com/features...by-steve-jones