+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sala pilot - crash plane was "dodgy".

Sala pilot - crash plane was "dodgy".

For some reason, I find this story brings home what an absolute disgrace the whole thing was more than any other I've read.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62594529

Re: Sala pilot - crash plane was "dodgy".

Absolutely disgraceful affair, makes me embarrassed to be a Cardiff fan to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Absolutely disgraceful affair, makes me embarrassed to be a Cardiff fan to be honest.
    Why, we didn’t organise this flight. David Henderson, Willie McKay & David Ibbotson are to blame for this. If you know that a vehicle you are going to travel in is not roadworthy, would you still go ahead?

Wasn’t the flight that we organised refused?

Apart from the withholding of payment probably advised by their lawyers, what have Cardiff city actually done wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Apart from the withholding of payment probably advised by their lawyers, what have Cardiff city actually done wrong?
    Used a discredited, dodgy agent, cocked up the player's registration and stories like this

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...ealed-14019857

have to raise the possibility that they were aware of the sort of planes McKay was capable of hiring for cross channel journeys.

I don't think there's too much wrong with Cardiff seeking legal clarification on the status of the transfer fee either, in what was a pretty unique occurrence. Being portrayed in the press as us refusing to pay, or withholding payment, made us look like the bad guys.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Used a discredited, dodgy agent, cocked up the player's registration and stories like this

have to raise the possibility that they were aware of the sort of planes McKay was capable of hiring for cross channel journeys.
    Maybe I’m being thick but how is Sala’s choice of agent Cardiff City’s fault

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I don't think there's too much wrong with Cardiff seeking legal clarification on the status of the transfer fee either, in what was a pretty unique occurrence. Being portrayed in the press as us refusing to pay, or withholding payment, made us look like the bad guys.
    Well we have pretty much refused to pay haven't we?

I get the impression that McKay was more employed by Nantes than Sala personally, although that's something we'll probably never know for sure.

The whole thing is truly sickening.
    The majority of the blame has to lie with Henderson, the man running unlicensed flights with a plane he knew to be dodgy, and a pilot that even the owner had asked him never to use.

He's possibly already out of prison, despite effectively sending this young lad to his grave.

McKay should definitely have shouldered some of the blame too, he knew damn well what kind of cowboy operation he was using.

What's even more frightening is that such flights are seemingly being allowed on a much greater and more regular basis.
    The aviation industry itself clearly has a lot to answer for in that respect too. Some of these flights should never be allowed to begin with by the sounds of it.

McKay was not Sala's agent or at least he wasn't until we became interested in him. That Daily Mirror story tells of how Warnock and Blackwell went over to France to watch a couple of Marseille players in a game with Nantes and ended up being more impressed by Sala - McKay and his son travelled with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Well we have pretty much refused to pay haven't we?
    Until the legal aspect had been decided, yes.

For some reason, I find this story brings home what an absolute disgrace the whole thing was more than any other I've read.

I feel exactly the same Bob. I'm say here feeling quite angry and upset having read this

McKay was not Sala's agent or at least he wasn't until we became interested in him. That Daily Mirror story tells of how Warnock and Blackwell went over to France to watch a couple of Marseille players in a game with Nantes and ended up being more impressed by Sala - McKay and his son travelled with them.
    I'd love to know the full extent of Warnock relationship with mckay including how did his two sons get contracts with us as footballers? I don't think I have ever seen someone explain the history to that particular deal

We've made some weird deals before but that one is way off the charts for me

Mark McKay was given the mandate to sell Sala by Nantes.

International

Half hour BBC video of the story

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...-emiliano-sala

And the comments

Audio of a telephone call to a fellow pilot has been exclusively obtained by the BBC, revealing for the first time the technical difficulties Mr Ibbotson had on the journey to France.

In it, he says he heard "a bang" during the flight and complained that he could feel a "very low mist" inside the 35-year-old Piper Malibu plane.

"I'm mid-Channel and 'bang'," Mr Ibbotson told friend, Kevin Jones, about his flight to Nantes.

In audio obtained by the BBC, pilot David Ibbotson revealed the plane he was taking Sala to Cardiff on was "dodgy".

"I'm flying along and then 'boom'. I thought, 'what's wrong?' So I put everything forward and checked my parameters, everything was good and it was still flying, but it got your attention."

He added: "That Malibu, occasionally you've got like a mist every so often. You can feel it, very, very low throughout the airframe."

Mr Ibbotson, 59, said he also realised the Piper Malibu's left brake pedal wasn't working after landing at Nantes Atlantique Airport. "This aircraft has got to go back in the hangar," he told his friend.

The conversation was accidentally recorded and has since been obtained by the BBC's Transfer: The Emiliano Sala Story podcast.

Going through security at Nantes Airport is the only time Emiliano Sala is seen with pilot David Ibbotson
    Ahead of the flight back to Cardiff, Mr Ibbotson added: "Normally I'd have my life jacket between my seats but tomorrow I'll be wearing my life jacket."

The only two people on the plane were Emiliano Sala and Mr Ibbotson, from Crowle, in North Lincolnshire, whose body has never been found.

International

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
    Why, we didn’t organise this flight. David Henderson, Willie McKay & David Ibbotson are to blame for this. If you know that a vehicle you are going to travel in is not roadworthy, would you still go ahead?
    Totally agree they turned a blind eye to the potential danger, just like a drunk driver seven, eight, nine pints a night a quick drive home, i've done it before i'll be fine, until they kill someone!

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Wasn’t the flight that we organised refused?
    There was, we should have had a policy in place where they only travel in commercial planes or where the alternative flight has been agreed and the company vetted, but it's easy to be wise after the event.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Totally agree they turned a blind eye to the potential danger, just like a drunk driver seven, eight, nine pints a night a quick drive home, i've done it before i'll be fine, until they kill someone!
    these are the older generation, the newer / younger pilots are trying to move away from this " grey area " of no commercial / paid flights

I dont know about anything else but you should be embarrassed with your post. City offered Sala a commercial flight and it was turned down because he wanted to stay in Nantes a bit longer to say goodbye to his friends. Sala chose to get on the plane, even though he obviously wasn't happy with it. The flight was arranged through third parties and was nothing to do with the club. What part of all this don't you understand ?

International

The BBC version of events differs from that, and overall seems more balanced, they say that Sala was offered a commercial flight, but that Sala wanted more time in Nantes to see his friends so went with Henderson's offer.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
    Mark McKay was given the mandate to sell Sala by Nantes.
    And his father was heavily involved in the deal even though he wasn`t allowed to under football rules as he had been banned from being a licenced intermediary (still is) and therefore not allowed to be involved in any manner whatsoever in football transfers. Neil Warnock knew this as he had known Willie McKay for several years and done transfer deals with him at other clubs he managed , but still he dealt with him, shared flights with him, had meetings with him etc. The directors of CCFC must also have known this about McKay (it takes a few minutes research to check) but still allowed Warnock to deal with him and signed off playing contracts with two of McKay`s sons. The directors have never explained why they did so , even when specifically questionned about it.

CCFC is in no way responsible for the tragic fatal plane crash or in its organisation but should never have got involved in the deal in the first place knowing who was brokering it.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Ninian1962 View Post
    And his father was heavily involved in the deal even though he wasn`t allowed to under football rules as he had been banned from being a licenced intermediary (still is) and therefore not allowed to be involved in any manner whatsoever in football transfers. Neil Warnock knew this as he had known Willie McKay for several years and done transfer deals with him at other clubs he managed , but still he dealt with him, shared flights with him, had meetings with him etc. The directors of CCFC must also have known this about McKay (it takes a few minutes research to check) but still allowed Warnock to deal with him and signed off playing contracts with two of McKay`s sons. The directors have never explained why they did so , even when specifically questionned about it.

CCFC is in no way responsible for the tragic fatal plane crash or in its organisation but should never have got involved in the deal in the first place knowing who was brokering it.
    The third highest goal scoring Striker in France becomes avaiable (at that time in that season, Mbappe and Naymar were 1st and 2nd) we need a striker and we shouldn't buy him because we don't like the agent, get real.

No one was worried about what agents all the Strikers recently linked were using, it's not even a consideration only the cost to the club.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    The BBC version of events differs from that, and overall seems more balanced, they say that Sala was offered a commercial flight, but that Sala wanted more time in Nantes to see his friends so went with Henderson's offer.
    I think it's reasonable to assume that someone at City knew what the alternative to a commercial flight might entail. It's hardly as if McKay was unknown to certain people at the club.

yet another take on this. Hard to see how we can come out of this unscathed...

https://nation.cymru/sport/emiliano-sala-dodgy-plane/