+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Russia Heading For Defeat ??

Are Russia Heading For Defeat ??

This DT article is intresting to say the least:

Russia's northern front line in Ukraine appears to have collapsed, with military chiefs in Kyiv saying the army has recaptured at least 3,000sq km.

The biggest advances have been to the south east of Kharkiv, with Ukrainian soldiers raising their flags above towns along an important transport route used by Russian forces to supply units in Donbas.

"Since the beginning of September around 2,000sq km have been liberated," Volodymyr Zelensky said in his evening update on Saturday.

"These last few days the Russian army has shown us its best side, its back. It's a good choice for them to flee."

By Sunday morning Valerii Zaluzhnyi, the commander-in-chief of the armed forces, said the area stood at about 3,000sq km, roughly the size of Lancashire.

"In the Kharkiv direction, we began to advance not only to the south and east, but also to the north. There are 50km to go to the state border [with Russia]," General Zaluzhnyi said.

Re: Are Russia Heading For Defeat ??

Will it go to VAR?

Seems as if Putin's targeting Ukraine's energy grid. Why he didn't do so on day 1 instead of pussyfooting around until day 200 is anyone's guess.

No electricity - refrigerated food goes bad, all fuel pumps stop, water stops running through pipes, farms can't harvest, etc. He ought to blow Zelensky's presidential palace to smithereens if he's really become serious.

Ukraine war: Kharkiv blackouts caused by targeted Russian attacks - Zelensky - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62873205

Putin's strikes cut water and power in Kharkiv in 'revenge' for Ukraine's recent victories - https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...world-news-ont

If all the intelligence is coming from Ukraine then I’d keep an open mind.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    If all the intelligence is coming from Ukraine then I’d keep an open mind.
    I think it's difficult to see Ukraine recovering all its territory but who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I think it's difficult to see Ukraine recovering all its territory but who knows?
    I just can't see that happening. Some kind of deal seems like the only peaceful outcome; Putin can claim a victory of sorts, Zelensky can claim to have pushed the Russians back from Kiev etc.

Maybe a new Ukraine based on the extents of it's language. It is essentially what happened to most of Europe after WW2.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I just can't see that happening. Some kind of deal seems like the only peaceful outcome; Putin can claim a victory of sorts, Zelensky can claim to have pushed the Russians back from Kiev etc.

Maybe a new Ukraine based on the extents of it's language. It is essentially what happened to most of Europe after WW2.
    I think you will find that many Ukranians whose first language is Russian won't be impressed by being handed over to the Russians.

I think you will find that many Ukranians whose first language is Russian won't be impressed by being handed over to the Russians.
    No, I know they won't. There is no easy solution whatsoever. But Russia currently occupies those areas and seemingly won't let go.

This Russian Duma member is extremely bullish. Says Britain can be reduced to a wasteland in three minutes flat. He suggests Berlin would be the first target of their 6,000-strong nuke arsenal.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    This Russian Duma member is extremely bullish. Says Britain can be reduced to a wasteland in three minutes flat. He suggests Berlin would be the first target of their 6,000-strong nuke arsenal.

Who would have guessed that UK and Germany would be on their lists of targets and could be obliterated? Similarly, submarines belonging to the allies are moving around the seas without coming up for air and with their computers programmed to target nukes at Moscow and other major Russian cities.

Telegraph running with this below...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-ne...nuclear-plant/

"Russian soldiers who refuse to fight during periods of martial law will face stricter punishment, the country’s parliament has decreed, in a sign the Kremlin may be considering full military mobilisation.
    Russia’s State Duma rushed through a bill on Tuesday introducing extra penalties for crimes such as desertion during times of martial law and general mobilisation. It also singled out “voluntary surrender” and looting as separate crimes punishable by imprisonment of 10 years and 15 years, respectively.
    The bill, which still needs to be signed off by Putin, is the clearest sign yet that the Kremlin is laying the groundwork for general mobilisation, which up until now it has avoided.
    It comes amid a lightning-fast Ukrainian counter-offensive and a mounting Russian manpower crisis.
    Meanwhile, Moscow-backed separatists in Ukraine's eastern Donbas region said on Tuesday that they will hold referenda on becoming part of Russia from September 23 to 27."

Putin wouldn't have wanted a long drawn out war like this (well to be honest we don't actually know his original mad objectives in starting this) but there seems to be a lot of noise trying to find resolutions as lets be honest neither country will want this to go into the winter. That BBC piece above is interesting from Erdogen that Putin wants a quick end but what does that actually consist of to make it happen? Referendums in the Donbas will surely be fixed and challenged by both countries whoever loses.

Generally we have seen a period of stalemate, for what 4-5 months? I don't think that will continue for the next 4-5 months. I think something will give. I just think as I've thought all along that each side will need to claim something from this...unless Putin is somehow removed, which I guess seems more likely if the military loses faith in him.

Russia announces more referendums in the controlled parts of Ukraine on whether to become parts of Russia!
    to take place this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Russia announces more referendums in the controlled parts of Ukraine on whether to become parts of Russia!
    to take place this week.
    Ballot counters need not apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post

Just look at the expressions on the faces of the other people in the studio - it says it all. The speaker is an absolute fruit cake and they know it but scarily there may be others like him in Putin's inner circle!

Let's get ready to rumble.

Who would have guessed that UK and Germany would be on their lists of targets and could be obliterated? Similarly, submarines belonging to the allies are moving around the seas without coming up for air and with their computers programmed to target nukes at Moscow and other major Russian cities.
    It's known as mutually assured destruction (mad), isn't it? I'm not sure whether nukes are all they're made out to be.

Nikola Tesla, possibly the greatest mind ever who invented AC electricity amongst many others, who died around 80 years ago, allegedly claimed he could kill literally any number of people and nobody would know how it was done.

His most famous quote is: "If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."

He was talking of scalar weaponry, gravity waves, etc.

Thank god we have nuclear weapons

Please don't tell me that nut case Truss is in charge ?

Its heresay ( meaning i cant back it with real facts , just that anyone saying the opposite can )..but the mighty Russian army got their arses kicked and are on the run still. I wouldn't be surprised if their so called nuclear arsenal isn't as impressive as they try to make out.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if their so called nuclear arsenal isn't as impressive as they try to make out.
    Let's hope it spurs on the opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Let's hope it spurs on the opposition.
    Weapons and even keeping an army up to war like conditions cost a fortune. I have a feeling due to whats happened in Ukraine that
    Putin has rested on his laurels over the last years.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    Its heresay ( meaning i cant back it with real facts , just that anyone saying the opposite can )..but the mighty Russian army got their arses kicked and are on the run still. I wouldn't be surprised if their so called nuclear arsenal isn't as impressive as they try to make out.
    I’d agree with you regarding Russia’ nuclear capability, I’d also argue ours isn’t up to what they say either.

That being said , you would only need about 10 anyway to cause catastrophic damage

I’d agree with you regarding Russia’ nuclear capability, I’d also argue ours isn’t up to what they say either.

That being said , you would only need about 10 anyway to cause catastrophic damage
    I think we only ever have 1 battle ready vanguard sub on patrol at any one time carrying about 8 tridents missiles.
    Each missile can carry about 10 warheads.
    So yeah, that'll do.
    The other 3 subs are either in training, docked or refurbishment/repair.

But thats the deterrent. Nobody ever knows where that sub is.

There will never be a world war with nukes anyway, it'll be total destruction of the northern hemisphere as too many countries have them.
    As soon as one goes off the'y all be going off.

Do you base your argument on anything not mentioned in the post immediately above?