+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I must have missed the election.

I must have missed the election.

I see we’ve got another new Government, it’s not the one which gave us ten years of austerity as we were all in it together trying to balance the books. It’s also not the one that was going to level us all up, this one is promising us trickle down economics whereby those generous rich folk will spend the massive amounts they make in tax cuts on us plebs. We’ve certainly gone through so many fresh starts and new eras over the past twelve years, but the funny thing is I can’t remember being asked to vote for or against all of these brave new worlds.

Seriously, the Governing party has zig zagged all over the place in the last twelve years and, initially at least all of these wild extremes have been put through on the nod of an electorate of about 170 thousand - this is no way to run a country.

Re: I must have missed the election.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I see we’ve got another new Government, it’s not the one which gave us ten years of austerity as we were all in it together trying to balance the books. It’s also not the one that was going to level us all up, this one is promising us trickle down economics whereby those generous rich folk will spend the massive amounts they make in tax cuts on us plebs. We’ve certainly gone through so many fresh starts and new eras over the past twelve years, but the funny thing is I can’t remember being asked to vote for or against all of these brave new worlds.

Seriously, the Governing party has zig zagged all over the place in the last twelve years and, initially at least all of these wild extremes have been put through on the nod of an electorate of about 170 thousand - this is no way to run a country.
    Obscene costs for a state funeral.
    Obscene wealth for 1%
    Obscene corruption, lies and ideology.
    Obscene levels of degradation and humiliation for the poorest and most vulnerable in our society.
    Obscene levels of financial reward for sniffing cocaine all day and shifting numbers around on a MacBook,
    Obscene excuses.
    Obscene levels of power and disregard for democracy and our civil liberties.

Obscene environmental policies.
    Jacob Reese Mog
    Fracking!

....meanwhile climate campaigners arrested on suspicion of blocking roads or other offences are waiting up to six months in prison before being tried.

Tory vermin

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Obscene costs for a state funeral.
    Obscene wealth for 1%
    Obscene corruption, lies and ideology.
    Obscene levels of degradation and humiliation for the poorest and most vulnerable in our society.
    Obscene levels of financial reward for sniffing cocaine all day and shifting numbers around on a MacBook,
    Obscene excuses.
    Obscene levels of power and disregard for democracy and our civil liberties.
    The problem is that over the years so many people have fallen for the mantra "the low paid are lazy, work hard and you'll get rich" and they hold the super rich in awe and respect. In their aspirational delusion they are oblivious to the truth that we are all sacrificial lambs at the altar of the rich and powerful and we're all being shafted as a consequence.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    The problem is that over the years so many people have fallen for the mantra "the low paid are lazy, work hard and you'll get rich" and they hold the super rich in awe and respect. In their aspirational delusion they are oblivious to the truth that we are all sacrificial lambs at the altar of the rich and powerful and we're all being shafted as a consequence.
    Yes, and once again the demonisation of the poorest and most vulnerable carries on. The Universal Credit changes and the rules relating to working hours are a great example of once again implying the poor and vulnerable are responsible for exorbitant state costs when 10s of billions have been wasted over the last 12 years through awful ministerial appointments and subsequent financial decisions and management of those departments.

I mentioned in another thread that I made the conscious decision to never work for anybody else ever again when I was retired in my early 40s. I've been self-employed/freelance ever since. This notion that bankers are worth more than medical services staff who train 3, 5, 7 years and pay for their tuition is obscene.

A few days ago my wife had to call 999 for an ambulance for me due to serious bleeding related to a serious medical condition I live with. She was told it would take 3 to 4 hours and I should try and get there in a taxi. I shouted to my wife to tell them to f*ck off. I've had a guts full.

This is the reality of Britain. Our government and its ideology and mismanagement as well as a continual disregard for basic decency is putting millions of its citizens (subjects) at serious risk. That risk is from not being able to see a doctor, afford heating, food and travel costs and quite often the subsequent mental breakdowns that result.

I am sick to death with jargon like 'trickle down economics' and want to see everyone treated with equal opportunity and living conditions. I can't even believe I'm writing this in 2022.

Yes, and once again the demonisation of the poorest and most vulnerable carries on. The Universal Credit changes and the rules relating to working hours are a great example of once again implying the poor and vulnerable are responsible for exorbitant state costs when 10s of billions have been wasted over the last 12 years through awful ministerial appointments and subsequent financial decisions and management of those departments.

I mentioned in another thread that I made the conscious decision to never work for anybody else ever again when I was retired in my early 40s. I've been self-employed/freelance ever since. This notion that bankers are worth more than medical services staff who train 3, 5, 7 years and pay for their tuition is obscene.

A few days ago my wife had to call 999 for an ambulance for me due to serious bleeding related to a serious medical condition I live with. She was told it would take 3 to 4 hours and I should try and get there in a taxi. I shouted to my wife to tell them to f*ck off. I've had a guts full.

This is the reality of Britain. Our government and its ideology and mismanagement as well as a continual disregard for basic decency is putting millions of its citizens (subjects) at serious risk. That risk is from not being able to see a doctor, afford heating, food and travel costs and quite often the subsequent mental breakdowns that result.

I am sick to death with jargon like 'trickle down economics' and want to see everyone treated with equal opportunity and living conditions. I can't even believe I'm writing this in 2022.
    Spot on, great post

Spot on, great post
    Ain't it just

Great post!

Good post, it irks me that pundits keep on saying we’ve got a new Government, but, strictly speaking they’re right I suppose. This one most resembles the old Tea Party in America who were the forerunners of the modern day Republican Party. Those nutters from groups like the Taxpayer’s Alliance are very influential in this version of the Conservative party apparently and I’veheard Truss and Kwarteng described as fanatics recently - don’t think that’s too far out and all of these decisions currently are being made on the say so of a minority ofTory MPs and Conservative party members.

Good post, it irks me that pundits keep on saying we’ve got a new Government, but, strictly speaking they’re right I suppose. This one most resembles the old Tea Party in America who were the forerunners of the modern day Republican Party. Those nutters from groups like the Taxpayer’s Alliance are very influential in this version of the Conservative party apparently and I’veheard Truss and Kwarteng described as fanatics recently - don’t think that’s too far out and all of these decisions currently are being made on the say so of a minority ofTory MPs and Conservative party members.
    One other thought, usually I wouldn't be in favour of a General Election every time a Prime Minister changes, but this one represents such a radical change of approach from the previous one that it seems to me that she should have a bigger mandate from the electors than the current one she has. You can argue whether red wall voters were only influenced by Brexit, but, if that's not the case, then what Truss represents is nothing like what they thought they were voting for when they backed Johnson's version of the party that, let's not forget, has been in power for twelve years and more.

It's a nightmare. Both Kwarteng and Truss were in the group of authors who wrote Britannia Unchained.

The book received renewed attention under the Johnson government, which had all five co-authors as ministers and three of them occupying two of the Great Offices of State. Several writers argued that the book was indicative of Boris Johnson's objectives for Brexit and wider reforms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britannia_Unchained

It's a nightmare. Both Kwarteng and Truss were in the group of authors who wrote Britannia Unchained.

The book received renewed attention under the Johnson government, which had all five co-authors as ministers and three of them occupying two of the Great Offices of State. Several writers argued that the book was indicative of Boris Johnson's objectives for Brexit and wider reforms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britannia_Unchained
    It really is the real raison d'etre for Brexit. Most people who blithely voted for it thinking it was all about the Flag, Blue Passports and banishing Johnnie Foreigner were duped. The real reason for it is to remove all regulation, constrain worker rights and thereby boost the prosperity and power of the top elite within an idyllic state of Singapore on Thames. Far from a vote to restrain the elite, it would afford them plenary and dictatorial power.

It really is the real raison d'etre for Brexit. Most people who blithely voted for it thinking it was all about the Flag, Blue Passports and banishing Johnnie Foreigner were duped. The real reason for it is to remove all regulation, constrain worker rights and thereby boost the prosperity and power of the top elite within an idyllic state of Singapore on Thames. Far from a vote to restrain the elite, it would afford them plenary and dictatorial power.
    Yup. You're on the money!

No he is not, he is portraying Brexit voters as thick daily mail reading racists and it gets on my fcking nerves.

Brexit to me was NEVER about immigration.
    I would open up free movement of those in Europe tomorrow.
    Brexit to me was about the state of The EU.
    The fat cat pigs at the trough and the lack of democracy.
    I'm with Yanis Varoufakis and would support DiEM25

The next election is Labour's to lose.
    I can't stand Truss and I hope Labour win.
    I wish that the likes of Eddie Dempsey and Mick Lynch were more involved in Labour politics.

Most of all though I wish that certain sections of the left would stop their sneering at the working classes and their reasons for voting leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    No he is not, he is portraying Brexit voters as thick daily mail reading racists and it gets on my fcking nerves.

I wish that the likes of Eddie Dempsey and Mick Lynch were more involved in Labour politics.

Most of all though I wish that certain sections of the left would stop their sneering at the working classes and their reasons for voting leave.
    I think he's on the money because there was a massive element of leave voters who didn't vote for very much other than xenophobia stoked by decades of right wing MSM propaganda.

I think it's possible to be angry about losing European Citizenship without sneering and I certainly wasn't, and I'm pretty sure Dorcus wasn't but there will be an element of that going on online but I think that's understandable too even though I don't like it.

I too support DiEM25 but that doesn't mean I think our leave vote is the right approach in the same way as I don't think I want to cut off my nose to spite my face.

I think we have to be careful not to get wrapped up in the divide-and-conquer policies of the UK Conservative party and far right but most importantly, we don't lose sight of the need to look out for one another and that corruption and human greed is rife within our own UK institutions and we're in no position to crow.

He really isn't. It's just a series of weird, inaccurate, arrogant and borderline ignorant tropes that shed far more light on why the Remain side lost than why Leave won.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    He really isn't. It's just a series of weird, inaccurate, arrogant and borderline ignorant tropes that shed far more light on why the Remain side lost than why Leave won.
    Everybody lost James.

I think we have to be careful not to get wrapped up in the divide-and-conquer policies of the UK Conservative party and far right but most importantly, we don't lose sight of the need to look out for one another and that corruption and human greed is rife within our own UK institutions and we're in no position to crow.
    Remember these words the next time you think about bashing swathes of people with differing opinions.

Well said about Dempsey and Lynch.

Remember these words the next time you think about bashing swathes of people with differing opinions.
    If I voted in a referendum which effectively prevented you from flying to see Wales play, you's feel pretty p*ssed off Wash. Maybe bitter even.

Then how do you feel I feel when everything I do in a professional capacity is more difficult and more expensive and a lot of other things that I am affected by are more difficult and expensive.

The bashing cuts both ways Wash and I'll acknowledge I'm no saint but I'm also honest in that I will never, ever, get over having my European Citizenship taken away from me.

Well said about Dempsey and Lynch.
    Would that be the brexit loving Eddie Dempsey?

Or the one who praised the people who turn out at Tommy Robinson marches?

Perhaps the one who has some rather dubious views on Ukraine/Russia/Putin?

If I voted in a referendum which effectively prevented you from flying to see Wales play, you's feel pretty p*ssed off Wash. Maybe bitter even.

Then how do you feel I feel when everything I do in a professional capacity is more difficult and more expensive and a lot of other things that I am affected by are more difficult and expensive.

The bashing cuts both ways Wash and I'll acknowledge I'm no saint but I'm also honest in that I will never, ever, get over having my European Citizenship taken away from me.
    I appreciate your frustration and disappointment CN.
    Everybody looks at the world through a different prism.

My point though isn't about the disappointment with the outcome it is how the disappointment is reacted to with nastiness and falsehoods.

Trump supporters were not too dissimilar as remainers IMO in not accepting a result that they didn't like.

Finally, in a world that seems divided more than ever...we should all be reaching across the aisles to be as by Bipartisan as possible.
    Hopefully that way the toxicity will die down somewhat and we can all get back to respecting each other as humans...except Jacks obvs (If they count as human that is).

I appreciate your frustration and disappointment CN.
    Everybody looks at the world through a different prism.

My point though isn't about the disappointment with the outcome it is how the disappointment is reacted to with nastiness and falsehoods.

Trump supporters were not too dissimilar as remainers IMO in not accepting a result that they didn't like.

Finally, in a world that seems divided more than ever...we should all be reaching across the aisles to be as by Bipartisan as possible.
    Hopefully that way the toxicity will die down somewhat and we can all get back to respecting each other as humans...except Jacks obvs (If they count as human that is).
    Totally agree mate.

It's all about finding that common ground Wash!

Quote Originally Posted by Claude Blue View Post
    Would that be the brexit loving Eddie Dempsey?

Or the one who praised the people who turn out at Tommy Robinson marches?

Perhaps the one who has some rather dubious views on Ukraine/Russia/Putin?
    Yep, the same one that Ash Sarkar and Owen Jones bashed.

The one that was Pro-Brexit....I mean the horror!!

The one that tried to understand and stated his thoughts on Robinsons popularity.
    He didn't support Robinson or his supporters in any sense from what I can gather.

As far as Russia/Ukraine go....different people think different things....one man's Azov is another man Wagner for instance.

Can you hold your nose enough to back this?

https://wesayenough.co.uk/