+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Kwarteng says highest rate of income tax being abolished, and basic rate being cut to 19% from next April

Re: Kwarteng says highest rate of income tax being abolished, and basic rate being cut to 19% from next April

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Labour ain’t gonna put a female up as leader - more chance of a black England captain at a World Cup.
    Like Paul Ince you mean?

Re: Kwarteng says highest rate of income tax being abolished, and basic rate being cut to 19% from next April

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    under the radar it seems but repealing the IR35 tax rules is good news for self
    They are only repealing the amendments from recent years, not the whole concept of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    They are only repealing the amendments from recent years, not the whole concept of it.
    well the legislation killed me off but might get back on the gravy train come April next year !

Another cock up by Johnson which made another level of red tape within industry what a buffoon he was and probably still is !

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    Like Paul Ince you mean?
    Oh yeah I forgot about Ince’s token gesture…was that when Tony Adam’s was in Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I don’t think I can ever recall more blatant behaviour in all my life. Huge tax cuts for the rich at a time when the Government needs as much revenue as possible and at a time when they are at loggerheads with unions who are trying to negotiate cost of living pay rises for their members. It’s not only tone deaf but going to be incredibly damaging to the economy.

My son is a teacher in an affluent area. It’s a state school. He gets upset about some of the sheer poverty he sees. One child came into his class in tears after the February half term. Her mother had to sell their furniture to put food on the table. These bastards don’t care.
    It’s as if Kwarteng and Truss are waving two fingers at the vast majority of the public, wetting themselves laughing at the outrageousness of the whole pitch, and yet expecting to be drowned out with rapturous applause.

They may be right in the short term - there are plenty of LOMs out there - but there will be a backlash. Enough Is Enough demonstrations coming up around the country in a week will (hopefully) be part of that!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    It’s as if Kwarteng and Truss are waving two fingers at the vast majority of the public, wetting themselves laughing at the outrageousness of the whole pitch, and yet expecting to be drowned out with rapturous applause.

They may be right in the short term - there are plenty of LOMs out there - but there will be a backlash. Enough Is Enough demonstrations coming up around the country in a week will (hopefully) be part of that!
    We could be reaching the point where your average, flag waving, monarchist loving, immigrant hating, aspirational Brexit supporter suddenly comes face to face with its real meaning. I hear the sound of a massive (formerly) red wall collapse up North. I'd love to think it would also shake these people out of their delusional fantasy but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't have any sympathy with those who voted tory in places like grimsby I am afraid

They enabled these conservatives to get a huge majority

I am afraid they are going to have to deal with it now . I hope they send a huge message to their masters at the next election .

But I won't be counting on it .

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    We could be reaching the point where your average, flag waving, monarchist loving, immigrant hating, aspirational Brexit supporter suddenly comes face to face with its real meaning. I hear the sound of a massive (formerly) red wall collapse up North. I'd love to think it would also shake these people out of their delusional fantasy but I'm not holding my breath.
    I think they are too thick to be honest

A few assumptions on here that Labour will win the next election, I wish I could be so confident - I’ve heard the Tories described as an election winning machine down the years, seems to me the modern day Labour Party is an election losing one, they really do need to up their game.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    A few assumptions on here that Labour will win the next election, I wish I could be so confident - I’ve heard the Tories described as an election winning machine down the years, seems to me the modern day Labour Party is an election losing one, they really do need to up their game.
    The labour party are hopeless

Crap leader

80 seats vanished to the snp , never to return

The maths don't add up

If we got rid of starmer we might form a minority labour government but they need to do it soon

This current tory bunch seem to do everything to push the self destruct button and labour miss open goals 😑

Yes you make a fair point Bob. Labour seems to be ahead in the polls at the moment despite itself. It really needs to massively up it's game and quickly too but with Starmer in charge I'm not too confident it will happen as it should.

Given that this Government appears to feel so confident about the natural voting habits of the UK electorate they are openly taking the piss out of it with outlandish policies, there's a need to be cautious.

It's more than possible that when push comes to shove the majority of the public will be swayed by the slick, expensive Tory election propaganda and will vote as automotons accordingly.

Yes you make a fair point Bob. Labour seems to be ahead in the polls at the moment despite itself. It really needs to massively up it's game and quickly too but with Starmer in charge I'm not too confident it will happen as it should.

Given that this Government appears to feel so confident about the natural voting habits of the UK electorate they are openly taking the piss out of it with outlandish policies, there's a need to be cautious.

It's more than possible that when push comes to shove the majority of the public will be swayed by the slick, expensive Tory election propaganda and will vote as automotons accordingly.
    Just been listening to the New Statesman podcast and there was a woman on there saying that one of the findings from the dreaded focus groups over the past year is that people aren’t too bothered about the “unfairness” of society if it doesn’t affect them. They’re okay with tax cuts for the rich and, presumably, removing caps on bankers bonuses because they’re aspirational (hate that word because there’s such a thin line between aspiration and greed) and think they could be on the top tax rate one day.

If that’s true, then maybe this budget (because it is a budget) might prove to be more popular than many think - as usual the Tories are looking to divide and conquer.

I'm not the best person to comment on this as I don't follow or listen to any MSM except for sport but tend to get any soundbites from the centrist Guardian (it's free!) and if there's anything I need to know that's super urgent (Armageddon, synthetic food, Morison being sacked) then I'll get it on here or from Mrs Citizen!

What's Starmer's response been like over this? What about other Labour opposition ministers? Everything has been drowned out recently since her election because of the funeral. What's the blighter up to these days?

Just been listening to the New Statesman podcast and there was a woman on there saying that one of the findings from the dreaded focus groups over the past year is that people aren’t too bothered about the “unfairness” of society if it doesn’t affect them. They’re okay with tax cuts for the rich and, presumably, removing caps on bankers bonuses because they’re aspirational (hate that word because there’s such a thin line between aspiration and greed) and think they could be on the top tax rate one day.

If that’s true, then maybe this budget (because it is a budget) might prove to be more popular than many think - as usual the Tories are looking to divide and conquer.
    Yes that piece is depressing. I'm with you entirely on the 'aspirational' tag. To me it really is just a euphemism for greed and selfishness and brings out the worst of the human psyche. I can't understand why some people want more than anyone else. Why can't it be 'aspirational' just to have a modest home and sufficient food and shelter for everyone?

Given that the sort of 'aspirational' card the Tories play is unrealistic for most why do people keep falling for it? If this aspirational idea were true then taken to it's logical conclusion society would collapse. If everyone become aspirational and achieved their dreams of becoming Surgeons, Judges and Bankers then who would be left to pick up all our shit? Fantasy politics rule it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

All the best with that Jon. My son will certainly go on strike if his union vote for strike action

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    All the best with that Jon. My son will certainly go on strike if his union vote for strike action

My take on it all:

Cut in income tax / NI - clearly good for growth. I don't think many are calling for it. I'll get about an extra £70 a month. I'll do something with that, but I'll spend some of it, so will be good for growth. Likely dwarfed by any increase in my mortgage that may come next year mind..

Bankers Bonus cap ending - Good I think. We all know what would happen if the UK capped footballers wages - we would lose talent abroad, and that is what seems to have happened. I can't stand the banks, but I'll hold my nose on it and see what happens.

Abolition of 45% rtax for those earning over £150,000. I don't support that. £150,000 is a very good wage. You are undoubtedly wealthy with that salary. It is true that Labour never had such a rate but that is irrelevent. It's also true that money will seep back into the economy, but at that level I would say it will be spent less well than the tax take would.

Cancelling rise in Corportation Tax. Probably good.I think in practiceit damages our competitiveness

New and start-up companies able to raise up to £250,000 under scheme giving tax relief to investors. - this and other investment policies sound good

Stamp duty cuts. Absolutely good. Strikes me as a cruel and curious tax. I hope Drakeford replicates this.

Generally increased borrowing - this worries me a lot tbh.

All in all, it's a risky set of policies. It should be noted that Labour were criticising tax rises only a few months ago, stating: “This is not the time to consider tax rises, we are in the middle of an economic crisis.” so I think there is a degree of hypocrisy there.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b1806739.html

It will be an interesting few months. If it works and we finally get proper levels of growth again then all good. If not, then we could be in significant trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    My take on it all:

Cut in income tax / NI - clearly good for growth. I don't think many are calling for it. I'll get about an extra £70 a month. I'll do something with that, but I'll spend some of it, so will be good for growth. Likely dwarfed by any increase in my mortgage that may come next year mind..

Bankers Bonus cap ending - Good I think. We all know what would happen if the UK capped footballers wages - we would lose talent abroad, and that is what seems to have happened. I can't stand the banks, but I'll hold my nose on it and see what happens.

Abolition of 45% rtax for those earning over £150,000. I don't support that. £150,000 is a very good wage. You are undoubtedly wealthy with that salary. It is true that Labour never had such a rate but that is irrelevent. It's also true that money will seep back into the economy, but at that level I would say it will be spent less well than the tax take would.

Cancelling rise in Corportation Tax. Probably good.I think in practiceit damages our competitiveness

New and start-up companies able to raise up to £250,000 under scheme giving tax relief to investors. - this and other investment policies sound good

Stamp duty cuts. Absolutely good. Strikes me as a cruel and curious tax. I hope Drakeford replicates this.

All in all, it's a risky set of policies. It should be noted that Labour were criticising tax rises only a few months ago, stating: “This is not the time to consider tax rises, we are in the middle of an economic crisis.” so I think there is a degree of hypocrisy there.

It will be an interesting few months. If it works and we finally get proper levels of growth again then all good. If not, then we could be in significant trouble.
    .....and the Universal Credit rule changes?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    .....and the Universal Credit rule changes?
    I'm not sure how they will play out in practice, but I think work is important for families, kids and parents mental health and in principle, encouraging more people to work is no bad thing. If people flatly refuse then clearly there are far greater issues at play.

My ex is on U/C and works part time. What is frustrating is that she would happily do a shift or two in a coffee shop or pub (as would I as it goes) for extra cash, but she would lose nearly all of the gain in wages by losing U/C.

A way to square that circle is needed really, as it would help her, the economy and govt finances to say gain £200 a month privately but lose £50 a month in U/C or something?

I'm not sure how they will play out in practice, but I think work is important for families, kids and parents mental health and in principle, encouraging more people to work is no bad thing. If people flatly refuse then clearly there are far greater issues at play.

My ex is on U/C and works part time. What is frustrating is that she would happily do a shift or two in a coffee shop or pub (as would I as it goes) for extra cash, but she would lose nearly all of the gain in wages by losing U/C.

A way to square that circle is needed really, as it would help her, the economy and govt finances to say gain £200 a month privately but lose £50 a month in U/C or something?
    Hmmm. We'll have to discuss that sometime. It's ideological and what is 'work' anyway? Forcing people to put their health at risk has pretty serious consequences too.

My take on it all:

There is, of course, one simple way to ensure growth - rejoin the CU, SM and eventually the EU.

But you know that James, you're just not yet ready to admit your voting mistake in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude Blue View Post
    There is, of course, one simple way to ensure growth - rejoin the CU, SM and eventually the EU.

But you know that James, you're just not yet ready to admit your voting mistake in 2016.
    I don't subscribe to that view at all though. People forget that pre 2016 were hardly halcyon days, and western EU nations are typically characterised by low growth. There's no magic pill.

I do concede that trade matters, and the benefit of Brexit in this case is only realised should we enact more trade deals with fast growing global economies.

First Team

There is currently rampant inflation in the UK caused by a plethora of aggregate supply shocks (some local, some global). It's not being caused by excess aggregate demand.

The BoE is doing what it's mandated to do with its one tool, interest rates (monetary policy), to try to control inflation. So, in the lingo, the UK is operating tight monetary policy and raising interest rates. Raising interest rates is designed to dampen consumer demand and investment effectively reducing aggregate demand.

It would be crazy in this circumstance to simultaneously operate a loose fiscal policy (tax cuts). You're stoking aggregate demand financed by government borrowing at a time when you're supposedly trying to control inflation.

So two things are likely to occur - more inflation and higher interest rates.

The "markets" have clearly decided that is not a good recipe. The UK is turning itself into a basket case. It will be interesting to see if the GBP hits parity with the Euro or the USD first.

It's macroeconomic policy from a madhouse.

This is what I don't get. My brother in law was saying this about his sister earlier. I thought one of the main points/benefits of UC was that it was designed in a way that meant people wouldn't suffer financially from taking more work on.