+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff Council considers collecting black bin bags every three weeks to improve recycling rates

Cardiff Council considers collecting black bin bags every three weeks to improve recycling rates

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/c...cting-25090254

The council's cabinet will make a decision on the proposed recycling strategy next week.

Re: Cardiff Council considers collecting black bin bags every three weeks to improve recycling rates

There definitely won't be any unintended consequences as a result of this plan.

Re: Cardiff Council considers collecting black bin bags every three weeks to improve recycling rates

Oh, dearie, dearie me, more fly tipping in the lanes and back streets

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Oh, dearie, dearie me, more fly tipping in the lanes and back streets
    Yep…mate of mine is a driver binman says they are clueless nowadays, they can’t cope since they went to a four day week.
    Every three weeks….bonkers

That poxy thin bin we got can’t cope with 2 weeks.
    This is disgraceful and we’ll pay more and get less.

Cardiff has a big problem with contamination of the recyclable waste that is collected. People put all sorts of disgusting stuff in their green bags up to and including soiled nappies, which isn't discovered until it gets to the recycling centre and then the entire contents goes in the incinerator. So what does the council expect to happen if it starts collecting non-recyclable waste even less frequently?

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Cardiff has a big problem with contamination of the recyclable waste that is collected. People put all sorts of disgusting stuff in their green bags up to and including soiled nappies, which isn't discovered until it gets to the recycling centre and then the entire contents goes in the incinerator. So what does the council expect to happen if it starts collecting non-recyclable waste even less frequently?
    It'll only get worse for sure. This skinny black bin once every two weeks is bad enough. If they change it to every three weeks, I'll be shoving all-sorts in the recycling bags and I'm sure everyone else will too.
    What an absolute joke.

do you not have " wheelie bins " in Cardiff ( I know my mum doesn't in barry ) ? ? ? we have 3, Household, Recycling and Green ( for garden stuff ) and a box for Glass

I know when the bins went fortnightly in rct I said the same but I reckon I could go three weeks now. And more stuff is recyclable.
    Be a disaster to Miss putting the bin out though

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    do you not have " wheelie bins " in Cardiff ( I know my mum doesn't in barry ) ? ? ? we have 3, Household, Recycling and Green ( for garden stuff ) and a box for Glass
    We have 4 wheelie bins in Sheffield - although the collection rates have been going backwards for years: big black bin for general waste (2 weekly), big brown bin for glass/metal/plastic cans and bottles (4 weekly), small blue in for paper - used to be a box which we were allowed to keep ‘yippee’ (4 weekly), big green bin for garden waste (4 weekly for 6 months and an extra charge).

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I live in Barry and it’s unbelievable. A box for glass, a box for food waste, a bag for paper, a bag for cardboard, a bag for plastics, a bag for green waste and then black bags, storage for all these is next to impossible (I’m lucky I have side land). Then to add they don’t take any soft plastics.

That’s before mentioning the bags are hardly weighted so any slight wind and recycling is all over the street. Then even if it’s not windy the recycling guys are sloppy chucking it as quickly as possible. System is useless.

Both Sheffield and Barry sound like an absolute nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    We have 4 wheelie bins in Sheffield - although the collection rates have been going backwards for years: big black bin for general waste (2 weekly), big brown bin for glass/metal/plastic cans and bottles (4 weekly), small blue in for paper - used to be a box which we were allowed to keep ‘yippee’ (4 weekly), big green bin for garden waste (4 weekly for 6 months and an extra charge).
    ever other week for them all down in Wilts, household and glass box one week, the other 2 the next, apart from bank holidays when they seem to not lose 1 day but sometimes 3 or 4 days, so they stack up then come back and collect them in a few days time again

Garden waste does cost £60 for 6 months though

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Should it just accept dumping waste needlessly?

It's been every three weeks for a few years up here in Blaenau Gwent. Families with 2 and 3 kids are finding it hard work.

I know at least one councillor reads this board, I bloody well hope he’s taking on board the feedback on here

They've targeted the public enough over recycling rates and now it's about time the governments shifted their focus to retailers and manufacturers. The majority of the public I think do what they can, but we're still met with excessive amounts of non-recyclable packaging when we go shopping.

Been 3 weeks down here in Pembrokeshire for a few years. Bit of a pain at first but unless you've got a large family it's ok.
    Cardiff, with its HMO's and much larger population will be more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I live in Barry and it’s unbelievable. A box for glass, a box for food waste, a bag for paper, a bag for cardboard, a bag for plastics, a bag for green waste and then black bags, storage for all these is next to impossible (I’m lucky I have side land). Then to add they don’t take any soft plastics.

That’s before mentioning the bags are hardly weighted so any slight wind and recycling is all over the street. Then even if it’s not windy the recycling guys are sloppy chucking it as quickly as possible. System is useless.
    I am in the Vale like you and I think it's OK

Blue recyclable plastic

White paper

Orange cardboard

Green garden waste

Food waste

It's fine as far as I am concerned , binmen always polite

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    Both Sheffield and Barry sound like an absolute nightmare
    Not a nightmare for us but not as frequent a collection service as a few years back. At least we have bins for everything not boxes or bags. Our black bin for general waste each fortnight is rarely half full. The others (monthly) do fill up but never to the top. Big families may struggle - as do students who have trouble with the whole idea of bins, waste, disposal, recycling and closing lids!

Is it not the case that the vast majority of council refuge and recycling operations are in fact ........outsourced to private companies ?

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    It's been every three weeks for a few years up here in Blaenau Gwent. Families with 2 and 3 kids are finding it hard work.
    In the Blaenau Gwent area they are now checking your black bags for recyclable material. Last week I had a knock at the door from the council, they handed me a letter and reporting that I had recyclable material in my waste and if it continued I could be fined!

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Is it not the case that the vast majority of council refuge and recycling operations are in fact ........outsourced to private companies ?
    Not sure if ‘vast majority’ but a lot. There were a lot of reports 5 years ago (Aug 2017) of a big spike in upheld complaints about bin services around the country. At that time (I think) about 40% were outsourced. I have seen a few reports since of councils bringing the service back in house but even more going the other way. Probably about 50:50 now with most of the big ones contracted out.

Sheffield bins have been done by Amey for about 15 years - mostly under a Labour council.

Quote Originally Posted by 79blue View Post
    In the Blaenau Gwent area they are now checking your black bags for recyclable material. Last week I had a knock at the door from the council, they handed me a letter and reporting that I had recyclable material in my waste and if it continued I could be fined!
    There's also a 'chap' that goes around checking you have the right stuff in the three recycling boxes.

People were equally enraged when it went from weekly to fortnightly, but I must admit, three-weekly is too much in my opinion.

I'd probably rather see more communal bins, which are common on the continent, although I can imagine they are abused and things get dumped.

three weekly strikes me that we would see waste building up and an increase in fly tipping. Aside from anything else, if you miss one day, you could be in a right mess (literally)