+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: EFL clubs to discuss energy crisis as Mansfield change kick-off to 1pm

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: EFL clubs to discuss energy crisis as Mansfield change kick-off to 1pm

I’m sure I remember early evening kick offs to save on using the floodlights at Ninian Park in the early eighties, it was towards the end of the season and the kick off times got a bit later as the evenings got longer. One o’clock on a Saturday would inconvenience a lot of people, I don’t like it when we have a lunchtime game on Sky, seems to break up the day more than a 3:00 pm game.

Quote Originally Posted by Toggs View Post
    I’m sure I remember early evening kick offs to save on using the floodlights at Ninian Park in the early eighties, it was towards the end of the season and the kick off times got a bit later as the evenings got longer. One o’clock on a Saturday would inconvenience a lot of people, I don’t like it when we have a lunchtime game on Sky, seems to break up the day more than a 3:00 pm game.
    In 77/78 City were banned from using their floodlights because of a very strict interpretation of the Safety of Sports Ground Act by the local council and Ninian Park's capacity was reduced to 10,000 for a while. As the season went on, kick off times gradually changed to 2.30 and then 2 o clock (don't think they ever got earlier than that). I can remember there were some "night" games early in the season which kicked off at 5.30 and 6, but they soon stopped as the nights drew in and you began to see afternoon kick offs in midweek for things like Welsh Cup games.

We averaged 12,790 in 76/77, but that was following a promotion and, after a season of struggle, I think you would have expected a drop in attendances in 77/78, but I'd say that the average for 77/78 of 8,365 as we struggled again was at least partly down to kick off times that were inconvenient for some. That said, in 78/79 when we went finished the season with a long, unbeaten run that took us well clear of trouble, the average gate only rose to 9,246.

So, while it's a long time ago and allowances have to be made for that, it seems to show that clubs would be wise to budget for a loss of income through lower attendances if they opt for earlier kick offs.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    In 77/78 City were banned from using their floodlights because of a very strict interpretation of the Safety of Sports Ground Act by the local council and Ninian Park's capacity was reduced to 10,000 for a while. As the season went on, kick off times gradually changed to 2.30 and then 2 o clock (don't think they ever got earlier than that). I can remember there were some "night" games early in the season which kicked off at 5.30 and 6, but they soon stopped as the nights drew in and you began to see afternoon kick offs in midweek for things like Welsh Cup games.

We averaged 12,790 in 76/77, but that was following a promotion and, after a season of struggle, I think you would have expected a drop in attendances in 77/78, but I'd say that the average for 77/78 of 8,365 as we struggled again was at least partly down to kick off times that were inconvenient for some. That said, in 78/79 when we went finished the season with a long, unbeaten run that took us well clear of trouble, the average gate only rose to 9,246.

So, while it's a long time ago and allowances have to be made for that, it seems to show that clubs would be wise to budget for a loss of income through lower attendances if they opt for earlier kick offs.
    In fact, Bob, as far as I can remember on the issue the local council were threatening to give Ninian Park a zero capacity for games. City stated they would then play their games at the worse Somerton Park, where no such capacity was in force at that time whilst City, staging international games had to comply with it earlier. Only then did the local council relent and gave us a 10,000 capacity.

StT
    <><