+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Denmark’s sponsor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Denmark’s sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I wonder how many people on here who say that the Danish team should pull out of the tournament as a matter of principle will actually watch it themselves even though they may have similar criticisms of the host nation.
    I think that if they feel that strongly about it, they should pull out of the tournament as a matter of principle.
    I don't think that the world cup should be in Qatar.
    I'll be watching it myself.
    I also won't be designing a shirt to show my semi-outrage about it

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    I think that if they feel that strongly about it, they should pull out of the tournament as a matter of principle.
    So if it's all or nothing, does that mean Wales supports Qatar?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    So if it's all or nothing, does that mean Wales supports Qatar?
    Kind of yeah it does. I refuse to go, but yes I will be watching from home. I'm a massive Welsh fan but I'd have absolutely loved us to pull out, it would have dwarfed the pride I felt in the Euro 2016 team if we'd done that

The ramifications of such absolutism may be quite severe and impact participation of the Danish national team future tournaments for years to come. Thankfully, you and I are not in a situation where we have to make such a judgement call - and both you and I will watch it regardless. Personally, I think the gesture is brave and has already highlghted the subject matter in the media (so much so that the Qatari hosts aredoing their best to cobble together a response for the consumption of the world's media) whereas as doing absolutely nothing would not have had any effect whatsoever.
    Knocking other parties for doing something whilst we do nothing ourselves (and regarding a matter we agree on) is not without irony, of course.
    I would like Wales to do the same thing.

The ramifications of such absolutism may be quite severe and impact participation of the Danish national team future tournaments for years to come. Thankfully, you and I are not in a situation where we have to make such a judgement call - and both you and I will watch it regardless. Personally, I think the gesture is brave and has already highlghted the subject matter in the media (so much so that the Qatari hosts aredoing their best to cobble together a response for the consumption of the world's media) whereas as doing absolutely nothing would not have had any effect whatsoever.
    Knocking other parties for doing something whilst we do nothing ourselves (and regarding a matter we agree on) is not without irony, of course.
    I would like Wales to do the same thing.
    So lives lost and being lost to this tournament are only worth a token gesture, not something that would have ramifications for Denmark.
    I’d absolutely love a BIG nation to have pulled out and suffer the consequences. Maybe others might have followed. Maybe it could’ve led to the implosion of the corrupt footballing bodies that have decided all of this

So lives lost and being lost to this tournament are only worth a token gesture, not something that would have ramifications for Denmark.
    I’d absolutely love a BIG nation to have pulled out and suffer the consequences. Maybe others might have followed. Maybe it could’ve led to the implosion of the corrupt footballing bodies that have decided all of this
    Thanks for misrepresenting what I said. I'm out.

Thanks for misrepresenting what I said. I'm out.
    I just thought that the gist was that its better to do something small than nothing at all, as no nations are brave enough to pull out (potentially because they'd be afraid of the consequences). If I've misrepresented that apologies.
    Personally it does feel like a token gesture (or virtue signalling as others have called it).
    Either be brave or be a coward but don't bother with something like this, which at best the majority won't notice and at worst is a kick in the teeth to those who have suffered and continue to suffer because of this world cup.

I would be a coward and i'll be watching it, on that we can agree

I just thought that the gist was that its better to do something small than nothing at all, as no nations are brave enough to pull out (potentially because they'd be afraid of the consequences). If I've misrepresented that apologies.
    Personally it does feel like a token gesture (or virtue signalling as others have called it).
    Either be brave or be a coward but don't bother with something like this, which at best the majority won't notice and at worst is a kick in the teeth to those who have suffered and continue to suffer because of this world cup.

I would be a coward and i'll be watching it, on that we can agree