Thread: Denmark’s sponsor

Denmark’s sponsor

Only a small stand, but a stand none the less
    https://football-italia.net/denmark-...-cup-in-qatar/

Re: Denmark’s sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    Only a small stand, but a stand none the less
    https://football-italia.net/denmark-...-cup-in-qatar/
    Might be being cynical here and I'm sure their unease at it being in Qatar is real but but I suspect they knew full well that the publicity they'd get from this will outstrip any they'd lose from the logo being slightly harder to see. The commentators will probably mention it every game, let alone the fact everybody's talking about it now

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Might be being cynical here and I'm sure their unease at it being in Qatar is real but but I suspect they knew full well that the publicity they'd get from this will outstrip any they'd lose from the logo being slightly harder to see. The commentators will probably mention it every game, let alone the fact everybody's talking about it now
    The commentators will not mention it, They'll be briefed.

Dortmund did something very similar a couple of seasons ago, except their shirt (and badge, and sponsor) was all black. The shirt was very popular, apparently. A stealth football shirt.

Crap looking shirt and a crap excuse for a "protest". How many Danish Krone will Hummel be donating from the sales to help similar causes? I'm guessing whatever number it is ends in a 0.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Crap looking shirt and a crap excuse for a "protest". How many Danish Krone will Hummel be donating from the sales to help similar causes? I'm guessing whatever number it is ends in a 0.

Strange choice of words !!!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

But you already knew that

So it Denmark that don’t want be visible there or Hummel?
    Because if it’s Denmark then there would’ve been a much more meaningful and impacting way of not being visible in Qatar

Will FIFA even let them do that?

I'd like to see every single player who scores reveal an Amnesty International t-shirt as they celebrate (although it'll probably be too hot to wear 2 layers, what with it being in the middle of a bloody desert). That would piss FIFA off no end.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The commentators will not mention it, They'll be briefed.
    I think they will. How could they not?

I'm all for it Hummel and the Danish FA may get some publicity for it which doesn't offend anyone. If it's a by-product of making a stand, then so be it.

Of course, the real cynic will say that to make a full stand, the Danes wouldn't participate.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post

I'm all for it Hummel and the Danish FA may get some publicity for it which doesn't offend anyone. If it's a by-product of making a stand, then so be it.

Of course, the real cynic will say that to make a full stand, the Danes wouldn't participate.

Like Scotland did?

Sorry Jim, I've never recovered after Jordan cheated and that Dutch ref giving handball against Dave Phillips.

Damned if they do and damned if they don't really. It no doubt helps Hummel to produce an attractive, different and 'moral' shirt that will no doubt sell well, but equally, it is a powerful symbolic gesture and there is only so much countries can do shy of actually boycotting the world cup.

Hummels statement of: “We support the Danish national team all the way, but that isn’t the same as supporting Qatar as a host nation.” is actually very strongly worded. Actually saying they don't support the host nation of a world cup.

I think the issue with boycotting is that they'd be kicked out of FIFA and there would e huge repercussions for football in Denmark going forward. I seem to remember reading an article a couple of years ago where certain countries were exploring the implications of refusing to go even if they qualified.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    I thought it was quite witty actually. Not rofl or lol territory, but almost a touche

More virtual signalling from a sport that does not give a flying duck.. if they really cared they'd not be there .

It's a nice looking shirt though.

Qatar's response

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/qatar-de..._campaign=feed

I guess it's kickstarted a conversation at least

A hollow protest IMO. Boycott it if you're serous.

I wonder how many people on here who say that the Danish team should pull out of the tournament as a matter of principle will actually watch it themselves even though they may have similar criticisms of the host nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I wonder how many people on here who say that the Danish team should pull out of the tournament as a matter of principle will actually watch it themselves even though they may have similar criticisms of the host nation.
    Yep, this. It's easy to say Denmark should pull out when you've got nothing riding on it.

I don't like the world cup going there but I'm honest and admit my morals aren't so strong that I'll avoid it or boycott it. Otherwise it's virtual signalling, as someone on here put it earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I think that if they feel that strongly about it, they should pull out of the tournament as a matter of principle.
    I don't think that the world cup should be in Qatar.
    I'll be watching it myself.
    I also won't be designing a shirt to show my semi-outrage about it

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    I think that if they feel that strongly about it, they should pull out of the tournament as a matter of principle.
    So if it's all or nothing, does that mean Wales supports Qatar?

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    The ramifications of such absolutism may be quite severe and impact participation of the Danish national team future tournaments for years to come. Thankfully, you and I are not in a situation where we have to make such a judgement call - and both you and I will watch it regardless. Personally, I think the gesture is brave and has already highlghted the subject matter in the media (so much so that the Qatari hosts aredoing their best to cobble together a response for the consumption of the world's media) whereas as doing absolutely nothing would not have had any effect whatsoever.
    Knocking other parties for doing something whilst we do nothing ourselves (and regarding a matter we agree on) is not without irony, of course.
    I would like Wales to do the same thing.