+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: EA announces the last-ever EA FIFA game: FIFA 23

EA announces the last-ever EA FIFA game: FIFA 23

https://www.pcgamer.com/ea-announces...ly-melancholy/

It's worth reading some of the backstory to this, but FIFA, in typical fashion, don't really make the best decisions.

Konami also f*cked up the Pro Evolution franchise last year so there's a gap in the market.

Coding and animating a complex football game is going to be very difficult without the decades of experience that EA or Konami have. Love them or hate them, they've a lot of game development behind them (Konami the company not the development side messed up PES due to them opting for a micro transaction model and losing the main single player option).

I own and have played every FIFA and PES title. In recent times I've been lucky enough to work on some of them both as a tester and animator. Ironically, I've always loved PES more though and the old community based around kit development and modding the non-licensed teams.

Nevertheless, it's going to be weird saying goodbye to an EA gaming franchise that's been part of a lot of people's lives for so long.

Tip: All those old FIFA and PES titles that you couldn't give away are now worth collecting (even the digital versions but obviously discs are better).

Re: EA announces the last-ever EA FIFA game: FIFA 23

I'm pretty sure I just posted this on the main site. How much more football related does a thread have to be?

Never liked either. Even the budget football games like Olympic soccer and three lions were better than both.
    I'm glad to see the back of them both, FIFA never changed yet was always allowed to dominate due to lack of serious competition. Pes was always similar in that it also never really changed that much.

Hopefully the next generations of kids will have better football games than those.

Looking forward to the new game arriving today. Bit the bullet and ordered like every year.
    It's only small tweaks these days, but it's still got to be done. I've lost hours and hours over the years on football games, first it was sensible soccer, then fifa / worldwide soccer, then PES and fifa, before imo PES went rubbish and its been just fifa for years now.
    Have to say it's not just the gameplay but all the licences too for me. Looking forward to getting into it later and hopefully city will have won the quadruple by christmas.

I was on the understanding though that they'd still be bringing this game out next year and the only real difference would be the name - I might be wrong?

p.s. this is most definitely a football-related post

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I'm pretty sure I just posted this on the main site. How much more football related does a thread have to be?
    It sounds like another great reset

Mine arrived yesterday, looking forward to having a go on FUT this weekend if I can get the tv

I don't know how much money they made but seems like a massive f**kup by FIFA to lose it, EA will just rebrand and continue to dominate the market just like Championship Manager/Football Manager

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Mine arrived yesterday, looking forward to having a go on FUT this weekend if I can get the tv

I don't know how much money they made but seems like a massive f**kup by FIFA to lose it, EA will just rebrand and continue to dominate the market just like Championship Manager/Football Manager
    How did you get it yesterday!
    I'm still watching the courier tracker. The joys of working from home.
    Bet there's a massive update to be installed too

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    I preordered it from Argos, it was meant to arrive today but came yesterday for some reason, I didn't pay extra or anything. I stuck the disk in yesterday, it only took 10 mins or so to download and update (ps4)

I preordered it from Argos, it was meant to arrive today but came yesterday for some reason, I didn't pay extra or anything. I stuck the disk in yesterday, it only took 10 mins or so to download and update (ps4)
    Well argos it is for me next year then for the first EA football or whatever its called
    good news about the update

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    Man, you've got it bad! I feel ya!

To answer your question from earlier about the title, yeah EA will be releasing what is effectively FIFA 24 but just won't be calling it that.

Here's some more about the 'falling out'.
    https://www.pcgamer.com/fifa-declare...l-be-the-best/

It's perfectly possible that if they partner with the right developers and publishers then it could be a great game. It's not a big window though to make something that can compete and as Konami found out (the the worst ever reviewed game on Steam is quite an accolade) gamers take a long time to adapt to change and these days, a multi-million $ game can bomb with a bad release edition and Metacritic reviews.

There's also a whole professional gaming industry behind FIFA (The Game) Tournaments with some massive prize money from sponsors so I think FIFA have flexed their muscles and EA have just called their bluff. It's a bit like us firing Morison and not having a replacement lined up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    It sounds like another great reset
    Exactly!

Man, you've got it bad! I feel ya!

To answer your question from earlier about the title, yeah EA will be releasing what is effectively FIFA 24 but just won't be calling it that.

Here's some more about the 'falling out'.
    https://www.pcgamer.com/fifa-declare...l-be-the-best/

It's perfectly possible that if they partner with the right developers and publishers then it could be a great game. It's not a big window though to make something that can compete and as Konami found out (the the worst ever reviewed game on Steam is quite an accolade) gamers take a long time to adapt to change and these days, a multi-million $ game can bomb with a bad release edition and Metacritic reviews.

There's also a whole professional gaming industry behind FIFA (The Game) Tournaments with some massive prize money from sponsors so I think FIFA have flexed their muscles and EA have just called their bluff. It's a bit like us firing Morison and not having a replacement lined up.
    Well, if EA keep the licences etc with proper names, clubs and so on, i'll be sticking with "EA fifa in disguise"
    I wonder if they may be able to bring a few other things, that do happen in real football but that maybe would've brought the fifa name into disrepute as it were. By that, I appreciate there will still be a line

I find FIFA is the same every year. I've always played PES, and i'm currently playing eFootball (which is the new PES) Its only got a Dream Team (FUT type) mode, but the game play is still better than FIFA imo. Its more unpredictable...

Well I’ve Managed one game in amongst work.
    First impression is that it’s good but basically the same as last year.
    As expected

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    I find FIFA is the same every year. I've always played PES, and i'm currently playing eFootball (which is the new PES) Its only got a Dream Team (FUT type) mode, but the game play is still better than FIFA imo. Its more unpredictable...
    That's really interesting. The Free-To-Play model has spoiled the franchise for me but I agree that that the physics have improved considerably from the first iteration of the new model. As I said earlier, I've been a big PES fan over the years and always felt that the best game would have been Pro Evolution Soccer physics with EA FIFA gameplay and menu systems.

Didn't know you are FIFA player. You're probably the one who keeps outbidding me each year on the rare Cardiff players!

Didn't know you are FIFA player. You're probably the one who keeps outbidding me each year on the rare Cardiff players!
    Shouldn't this thread be in the football section?

Why’s this thread, which is clearly football related, not on the main forum?

Managed to put a Cardiff City Squad together yesterday. I think our highest ranking player this season is Robinson. Made Doyle into a LWF and Ojo into a RWF with Robinson as a Finisher and won 3 out of 3 online so far against all gold sides. Use a high press and aggressive tackling by Wintle with the RB & LB overlapping.

Robinson doesn't last a full match though so Harris comes on. Ralls is knackered just after the start of the second half and Wintle needs replacing if your playing against golds and have to work hard defending an early goal.

Not going to get Fifa this year.
    I don't really gamble...but buying packs for FUT was a ridiculous waste of money.

Hope Warzone 2 is good

I feel this year's version lacks decent cupboard space and the flat screen TV could be bigger.

I feel this year's version lacks decent cupboard space and the flat screen TV could be bigger.
    The opposition will probably throw the kitchen sink at you in the next match.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    The opposition will probably throw the kitchen sink at you in the next match.
    If that happens, I'll probably throw the towel in.