+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Ninian Stand shop

Re: New Ninian Stand shop

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    We have a large valleys support , but outside support is not unique to Cardiff City as you suggest , almost daily.
    If I suggested that , daily or not then that might be worthy of debate

But that's not what I say

I don't actually know what you are saying and I don't think you do either

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I wonder if the support within the city of Cardiff would be better if the city was clustered amongst other large towns and cities. Would people become more parochial, more loyal towards the area they come from? Imagine towns like Ponty, Bridgend, Merthyr etc being a fair bit larger and having professional football teams, but Cardiff being the largest club and area. Would that create more of a footballing hotbed, actually somebody else to worry about and therefore, creating more identity, intensity? In short, do we suffer from not having any real local competition, making South Wales a bit sleepy in terms of local football support. I'm thinking Yorkshire, Lancashire and London, albeit on a much smaller scale.

P.s if you think that this post is just bollocks, please say so
    No it's interesting

Burnley , Preston , Blackburn , Bolton

Rotherham, Barnsley , Bradford , Doncaster , Huddersfield all have good support within the towns they represent

I personally think the percentage of locals following Burnley , Preston etc is far higher than it is with us

Now Newport are back in the league are locals from Risca, Cwmbran etc supporting County or do many of them still follow city ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    The shop in St Davids Centre was perfect for people doing a bit of Christmas shopping for their kids or grandkids. Just a pity that a lot of the stuff in there was red.
    I am proud to stay I stuck an A4 'Back to Blue' poster on it's window once on a saturday afternoon. Was still there a couple of hours later

I thought it was pretty obvious this was match day.
    The shop in town was great but like others have said empty, the cost of rent, utilities, rates, staff in st David’s 7 days a week was likely totally unviable.
    Selling merchandise there on match days makes complete sense

Huh , just to clarify, most clubs have a significant amount of support from outside the town they are from , particularly isolated teams , I know for a fact that the majority of Cardiff support comes from within the city itself.
    Do you?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    No it's interesting

Burnley , Preston , Blackburn , Bolton

Rotherham, Barnsley , Bradford , Doncaster , Huddersfield all have good support within the towns they represent

I personally think the percentage of locals following Burnley , Preston etc is far higher than it is with us

Now Newport are back in the league are locals from Risca, Cwmbran etc supporting County or do many of them still follow city ?
    Burnley pop 75,000 average gates 18k
    Cardiff pop 375,000 (at least) average gates 18k

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Burnley pop 75,000 average gates 18k
    Cardiff pop 375,000 (at least) average gates 18k
    Barnsley .......average gates around 12000 ?

They get almost all their support from the town , it's about the size of Burnley

I know for a fact that the majority of Cardiff support comes from within the city itself.
    How do you know that?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    How do you know that?
    Club database , was a few years ago though where they conducted a sense check.

I’d argue it’s probably more now with the decline of the rail services.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Do you?
    I wonder if he's considering the other out of city areas such as the Vale, Barry, Port Talbot, Bridgend, Cwmbran etc ?

I'd be surprised if the majority of City's support comes within the Cardiff City unitary authority.

Club database , was a few years ago though where they conducted a sense check.

I’d argue it’s probably more now with the decline of the rail services.
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    X

There was a shop in the St David’s Centre many years ago but it always seemed empty.

Frankly, outside of match day, I’m not sure there is a huge untapped demand for City merchandise.
    It only sold the red kit, so neither myself, family and relations, nor City supporting friends would even think of purchasing stuff from it.

Why not go for a smallish shop in one of the arcades if the rent and rates in St Davids are too prohibitive

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    It only sold the red kit, so neither myself, family and relations, nor City supporting friends would even think of purchasing stuff from it.

Why not go for a smallish shop in one of the arcades if the rent and rates in St Davids are too prohibitive
    Be great to see a City stall in Cardiff Market.

Browse and pick up a some vinyl in Kelly's Records, grab a pizza from Ffwrnes then go looking for a City pin badge without that red worm thing at the bottom.

Loads of Tourists in Palma, i bet that Real Mallorca do a roaring trade during the holiday season.
    In that same shopping area they both both Barca and Real Madrid stores too which were rammed when I was there.

I wonder if the support within the city of Cardiff would be better if the city was clustered amongst other large towns and cities. Would people become more parochial, more loyal towards the area they come from? Imagine towns like Ponty, Bridgend, Merthyr etc being a fair bit larger and having professional football teams, but Cardiff being the largest club and area. Would that create more of a footballing hotbed, actually somebody else to worry about and therefore, creating more identity, intensity? In short, do we suffer from not having any real local competition, making South Wales a bit sleepy in terms of local football support. I'm thinking Yorkshire, Lancashire and London, albeit on a much smaller scale.

P.s if you think that this post is just bollocks, please say so
    I don't think people in Wales are as parochial as in England - ie, in regard to identifying with a specific area/City. Probably to do with the fact that there's a 'Welsh' identity which is more widespread proportionately amongst the population that in England. Again, as you comment, we also don't have the rivalries that occur in England across whole regions - we just have Swansea..

How can the club possibly be criticised for opening a second shop on site for match days ? Not everyone wants to go around the ground and squeeze into a packed main shop to buy things. If there wasn't the demand for this they wouldn't do it. At the end of the day they are trying to help their customers, which should be applauded. Other items - not all Barnsley fans come from the town. There are a number of outlying towns and villages Such as Darfield and Wombwell where Barnsley have traditionally drawn support. Also the point about Burnley is that they might have a smaller catchment area and similar crowds to us but they have been playing in the Premier League for quite a bit of the last ten years and yet they didn't sell out their stadium even then, whereas we did in 2018/2019. There is much more crowd potential here than there.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I am proud to stay I stuck an A4 'Back to Blue' poster on it's window once on a saturday afternoon. Was still there a couple of hours later
    Wow you mad lefty bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Be great to see a City stall in Cardiff Market.

Browse and pick up a some vinyl in Kelly's Records, grab a pizza from Ffwrnes then go looking for a City pin badge without that red worm thing at the bottom.
    Spot on mate. You could even pick up some decent clobber from 'Mojo King' on the balcony upstairs

Spot on mate. You could even pick up some decent clobber from 'Mojo King' on the balcony upstairs
    Isn't that Mojo King place a bit 'Mod' in style and cut?

He's still got a few Screamadelica Bluebird Ts left. I gig one a couple of weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I don't think people in Wales are as parochial as in England - ie, in regard to identifying with a specific area/City.
    I assume you just mean in regards to football? Wales is parochial down to a village level!

Isn't that Mojo King place a bit 'Mod' in style and cut?
    Yes, that's the place! G'won you know you want to start looking cool

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    He's still got a few Screamadelica Bluebird Ts left. I gig one a couple of weeks ago.
    Nice, although I'm not really a fan of Primal Scream so I wouldn't get one

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Open a Liverpool Shop in Cardiff

Fortune to be made

Fake Feckers
    I agree. South Wales has a plastic problem above and beyond other regions but what to do...shame, mock and ridicule in the hope they eventually sense

Nice, although I'm not really a fan of Primal Scream so I wouldn't get one
    Over rated band from what i've heard