+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patients sit on bins at overcrowded and visibly dirty UHW A&E unit

Patients sit on bins at overcrowded and visibly dirty UHW A&E unit

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/h...nt-ed-25143713

A Healthcare Inspectorate Wales (HIW) report on the Emergency Department at the University Hospital of Wales found the dignity and safety of patients "has been compromised on an almost daily basis for a sustained period of time".

Re: Patients sit on bins at overcrowded and visibly dirty UHW A&E unit

This was in the summer. Imagine how bad it is going to be in the middle of winter.

The top floor of the heath is allegedly empty too, not because they couldn’t fill it but because they haven’t the staff to run it.

I’ve been in the Heath a few times recently, my own ailments and my Mothers. It was chaos, I feel sorry for the staff because they get the brunt of the abuse when they are under immense pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    The top floor of the heath is allegedly empty too, not because they couldn’t fill it but because they haven’t the staff to run it.
    Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    I’ve been in the Heath a few times recently, my own ailments and my Mothers. It was chaos, I feel sorry for the staff because they get the brunt of the abuse when they are under immense pressure.
    It's a vicious circle. The Welsh NHS can't recruit the staff it needs because it's a shit place to work and the Welsh NHS is a shit place to work because it can't recruit the staff it needs.

Every other night on the main news there is a story about the latest NHS disaster

That's in England

We get the Welsh side of things

It's not great all over the country

My experience of the NHS , focused around Princess Of Wales is that its fantastic

I lost a lot of blood , a bit of weight and had stomach pains . Within 3 weeks I have had an endoscopy and a CT scan and a consultation and given the all clear

Of course other people will have horror stories but a lot of the attacks on the NHS in Wales are from Tories . If you think its bad now God help you if that lot ever get in .

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Do you think government general idea is to make it so bad that people who have cash just go private? Thus taking some people off waiting lists or away from state care? Can’t imagine how bad it will be in another 25 years

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Every other night on the main news there is a story about the latest NHS disaster

That's in England

My experience of the NHS , focused around Princess Of Wales is that its fantastic

I lost a lot of blood , a bit of weight and had stomach pains . Within 3 weeks I have had an endoscopy and a CT scan and a consultation and given the all clear

Of course other people will have horror stories but a lot of the attacks on the NHS in Wales are from Tories . If you think its bad now God help you if that lot ever get in .
    Stomach ulcer?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Stomach ulcer?
    They were making sure it wasn't bowel cancer which thankfully it wasn't

on a similar theme and not starting a new thread at last managed to book an appointment with a dentist today for February next year just for a check up too !

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    on a similar theme and not starting a new thread at last managed to book an appointment with a dentist today for February next year just for a check up too !
    Apparently the plan to address the lack of dentists in Wales is to increase the time between routine checkups to 18 months.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-63067230

A chronic staff shortage has left the NHS in Wales in a "dangerous and precarious state", a union has warned.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-63067230

A chronic staff shortage has left the NHS in Wales in a "dangerous and precarious state", a union has warned.
    My sister in law lost a lot of staff ( she is a private support provider) when the vaccine mandate was threatened, but the government has now done a u-turn on this but the damage was done.

A nurse working for an agency can earn in 3 days what a NHS nurse earns in 5 days. Add the ever increasing population and Covid, it's no wonder the NHS is on its knees.

That's in England

I'm glad you had a good experience and are better, but FFS Sludge, stop using it as a political football. It gives excuses for shit management and processes within the NHS.

As you say, there are issues irrespective of who happens to be in govt. Between health secretary and patient there are numerous layers of management. I suspect we should be looking there more closely.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
    A nurse working for an agency can earn in 3 days what a NHS nurse earns in 5 days. Add the ever increasing population and Covid, it's no wonder the NHS is on its knees.
    It's on its knees because there is not enough investment in it

The conservative central government , despite the recent almighty cock up fund the Welsh NHS . The conservative government are trying to implement tax cuts which will lead to cuts in the NHS , social services etc .

If the Welsh government is getting less funding for the NHS then clearly things are going to get worse .

If you give someone 100 quid to build a wall but you should be giving them 200 quid you are not going to get a very good wall

The Welsh govt are not building a very good wall but they need more money to build a better one

The conservative central government , despite the recent almighty cock up fund the Welsh NHS . The conservative government are trying to implement tax cuts which will lead to cuts in the NHS , social services etc .

If the Welsh government is getting less funding for the NHS then clearly things are going to get worse .

If you give someone 100 quid to build a wall but you should be giving them 200 quid you are not going to get a very good wall

The Welsh govt are not building a very good wall but they need more money to build a better one
    Sorry Sludge, but just endlessly pumping out this opinion is part of the problem. You aren't helping the NHS by just saying it, you are just repeating slogans.

The NHS has never had as much money. The Welsh Govt allocates it's resources and manages the NHS and has done so here in Wales for 20+ years. The SNP has even more autonomy in Scotland and they have the same problems.

There are massive structural issues. We need to strip the politics out of it, get real and sort the thing out for the benefit of us all.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Sorry Sludge, but just endlessly pumping out this opinion is part of the problem. You aren't helping the NHS by just saying it, you are just repeating slogans.

The NHS has never had as much money. The Welsh Govt allocates it's resources and manages the NHS and has done so here in Wales for 20+ years. The SNP has even more autonomy in Scotland and they have the same problems.

There are massive structural issues. We need to strip the politics out of it, get real and sort the thing out for the benefit of us all.
    so James structural issues you say . Are you saying too many pen pushers and not enough people on the ground within the NHS Wales ?

I,m hearing lots of vacancies within the NHS Wales what type of numbers are we talking here in Wales only ?

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    so James structural issues you say . Are you saying too many pen pushers and not enough people on the ground within the NHS Wales ?

I,m hearing lots of vacancies within the NHS Wales what type of numbers are we talking here in Wales only ?
    I base what I say there on knowing numerous people who work in the NHS. I also know that using it as a political football is deeply unhelpful

I base what I say there on knowing numerous people who work in the NHS. I also know that using it as a political football is deeply unhelpful
    Well I got to know loads of NHS staff during the last few years of my mother's life and the people using the NHS for gain more than anyone else was the Tories

The doctors , nurses and care workers I spoke to were appalled at the way Johnson and his lot jumped on the clap the NHS bollocks and deflected away from the crap situation so many found themselves in

You won’t like this, but hasn’t Brexit ensured that the pool of those willing to work in the NHS has got smaller? I accept that it’s hardly the same as picking fruit, but the numbers of UK based people willing to do certain jobs has decreased surely?

Isn't the Welsh Government diverting funding from other areas to better fund the Welsh NHS a possibility?

You'll also be aware the current UK government is collecting more in tax revenues than any government previously.

This is where you just guess when it comes to making outlandish statements. The NHS is massively funded , if you do a bit of research.

Here is an example~ UK’s post Brexit EU “divorce bill” reaches €50 billion, confirms Treasury... up from €40-45bn. The NHS burns through all that in less than 3 months!

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    This is where you just guess when it comes to making outlandish statements. The NHS is massively funded , if you do a bit of research.

Here is an example~ UK’s post Brexit EU “divorce bill” reaches €50 billion, confirms Treasury... up from €40-45bn. The NHS burns through all that in less than 3 months!
    There are 68m or so people in the UK. Assuming the NHS has a total budget of £204bn, that's £3k per man, woman and child per annum. Hospitals don't build themselves, and medical equipment (with all its precision) isn't known for being mass produced production line stuff. Training each doctor to registrar level can cost upwards of £400k, and training them beyond that even more.

The NHS has many issues, but it does an awful lot with the budget it does have. Private healthcare has its place (I know, I have it) but I'm more than happy to pay more in tax and NI if its earmarked for the NHS. Everyone deserves high quality healthcare as a basic right, and the only way to achieve that is to increase the funding in the NHS.

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    There are 68m or so people in the UK. Assuming the NHS has a total budget of £204bn, that's £3k per man, woman and child per annum. Hospitals don't build themselves, and medical equipment (with all its precision) isn't known for being mass produced production line stuff. Training each doctor to registrar level can cost upwards of £400k, and training them beyond that even more.

The NHS has many issues, but it does an awful lot with the budget it does have. Private healthcare has its place (I know, I have it) but I'm more than happy to pay more in tax and NI if its earmarked for the NHS. Everyone deserves high quality healthcare as a basic right, and the only way to achieve that is to increase the funding in the NHS.
    (apart from the private healthcare bit).