+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The growing crisis facing Cardiff's rental market with landlords selling up and 100 people fighting for every property

The growing crisis facing Cardiff's rental market with landlords selling up and 100 people fighting for every property

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...ental-25070441

Landlords, letting agents and student groups have hit out at the growing crisis facing Cardiff's rental market with properties being sold off and more than 100 people fighting to secure every home listed.

Re: The growing crisis facing Cardiff's rental market with landlords selling up and 100 people fighting for every property

Buy-to-let landlords are parasites. My heart bleeds for them.

Re: The growing crisis facing Cardiff's rental market with landlords selling up and 100 people fighting for every property

There will be loads of issues coming together here, but I am not surprised some ill thought out Welsh Govt law is behind it at all.

I'd be more concerned about the lack of social housing available to locals, and the fact that immigrants are being housed in hotels with their own chefs, whilst locals from the area are being forced to sleep on the floor of the huggard centre.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Buy-to-let landlords are parasites. My heart bleeds for them.
    If there were no landlords the housing crisis would be a lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
    If the landlord took the house with them when they left then yes it would.

You can whistle all you like

This all boils down to conservative housing policy from Thatcher onwards and now everything is going tits up

The right to buy robbed local authorities of loads of properties

They were never replaced by successive governments

Buy to let was encouraged and made plenty of people a lot of money

Combined with this was the slashing of security in the rented sector with people previously able to live for many years renting the same property whilst enjoying the protection of a fair rent

Now it's all market rents .....which means money ! ......and sometimes only 6 months in a flat before you are given notice

No wonder this has become the area where people are dumped and rely on as a last resort

I hope if Truss and her mob of snake oil salesmen are given the boot that starmer bit by bit sorts out housing policy in this country

If we hadn't sold millions of feckin council houses there wouldn't have been the need for so many landlords .....who are there to make money ....in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    There will be loads of issues coming together here, but I am not surprised some ill thought out Welsh Govt law is behind it at all.
    Lack of affordable housing thanks to selling off council homes , failure to replace them and the promotion of buy to let are the main causes of this crisis

It's been on the cards for years

Thatcher onwards basically

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    I'd be more concerned about the lack of social housing available to locals, and the fact that immigrants are being housed in hotels with their own chefs, whilst locals from the area are being forced to sleep on the floor of the huggard centre.
    Got a link ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    If we hadn't sold millions of feckin council houses there wouldn't have been the need for so many landlords .....who are there to make money ....in the first place

Many landlords turn run down properties into habital housing which would otherwise be left derelict. Surely that has to be a positive thing.

Got a link ?
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wal...n-24947175.amp

That's the latest I've seen.

The Copthorne at Culverhouse Cross has been officially closed since last year. They fired all their kitchen staff to make way for foreign chefs that can accommodate a foreign menu.

Not bullshit either, I saw a few people at the time on twitter complaining that they knew of people that had been fired.

Fecking disgusting stuff.

The Copthorne at Culverhouse Cross has been officially closed since last year. They fired all their kitchen staff to make way for foreign chefs that can accommodate a foreign menu.

Not bullshit either, I saw a few people at the time on twitter complaining that they knew of people that had been fired.

Another hotel in Cardiff is being used to accommodate 'the unprecedented amount of asylum seekers', the staff have been given a few days notice.

Many landlords turn run down properties into habital housing which would otherwise be left derelict. Surely that has to be a positive thing.
    How many is many ?

Social housing should be provided by the state , there are some good landlords out there , one posts on here but let's not kid ourselves that the reason why people buy houses and flats is to make money

That's an invalid link

Invalid link

That's an invalid link
    Eh?
    It works perfectly sludge. If not for you then Google "Wales online immigrant hotel", that will bring the link up.

By the way, the hotel in the article is NOT the Copthorne. The Copthorne has been closed because of immigrants for a long time.

This one is more recent. They won't name it, but it's the 3rd I've heard of.

Another hotel in Cardiff is being used to accommodate 'the unprecedented amount of asylum seekers', the staff have been given a few days notice.
    Cardiff is a home office refugee and asylum seekers centre

Now wether it should be or people have objections to that is a different matter

Cardiff Council will have statutory duties to provide advice , assistance and in some cases temporary accommodation

If they are taking illegal measures to do this then that's one for the authorities to investigate

As for the increase in demand for accommodation and services then that's going to reflect the situation across the country

Eh?
    It works perfectly sludge. If not for you then Google "Wales online immigrant hotel", that will bring the link up.

By the way, the hotel in the article is NOT the Copthorne. The Copthorne has been closed because of immigrants for a long time.

Not for me it doesn't, its an invalid link

I will Google what you have said

Eh?

I have googled what you said and it appears to be referring to a hotel in tongwynlais and local residents being extremely pissed off by leaflets being distributed by a far right group

If people have been sacked from their jobs in order to bring in new staff to cook food for new arrivals that's something for the employment courts because chefs can easily cook for people with religious or ethnic needs

I don't have any issue with these people being cooked food suitable for their culture though

Some of the comments on that Wales online make me ashamed to be Welsh, they are better off living in 1930s nazi Germany

Tongwynlais is a separate one I believe, before this latest one, which they've refused to name. This one is the third I'm aware of and is not the Copthorne which was taken over some time ago.

Bear in mind, local people have to fight for "floor space" at the Huggard Centre. They are made to sleep there for months, among junkies and alcoholics who regularly cause problems, or lose their chance of a room in a shitty hostel some time in the future. Would you consider this acceptable?

It's not a right-wing thing Sludge, so there's no need to lean so far left on this.
    It's simply a disgraceful situation introduced and endorsed by a Tory government.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Yep they have driven a load of landlords out and now there is a shortage of rooms. Had a room in a house I have become available last week, reckon I had 50 enquires that day….as I was responding they just kept coming. Some offering me way more than what I was.
    Well done the WAG….Just what the hell they are trying to do who knows

Yep cardiff council sold many off

Got a link ?
    The old cardiff bay hotel on schooner way is full of Afghans I know that much, some hate it so much they want to go home