+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The growing crisis facing Cardiff's rental market with landlords selling up and 100 people fighting for every property

Re: The growing crisis facing Cardiff's rental market with landlords selling up and 100 people fighting for every property

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    I won't call you "old fashion", but I will call you an obvious Tory boy
    I was brought up in a house that had no central heating no double glazing just a coal fire, it was still like that when I left home to get married. If my parents had gone down the route of a council house we would have had double glazing and central heating.

Re: The growing crisis facing Cardiff's rental market with landlords selling up and 100 people fighting for every property

Quote Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
    I was brought up in a house that had no central heating no double glazing just a coal fire, it was still like that when I left home to get married. If my parents had gone down the route of a council house we would have had double glazing and central heating.
    E minus. Would be an F, but you did try.

When I started working in housing in the mid 1980s it was still a tenure of choice. One third of the homes in Sheffield were Council homes (about 90,000 back then - down from a peak of over 100,000 in the late 70s). Housing Associations were still at the margins. It is now down to about 35,000.

People were generally proud of their rented homes. The fetish with home ownership was around but not as dominant as it became. A lot of homes (houses, flats, maisonettes and bungalows) were well cared for and people put time, money and effort into making them as good as they could be.

Back then Councils were more able to ensure repairs were done quickly and there were annual improvement programmes - from central heating to rewiring to new double glazed windows. Tenants Associations were everywhere and active. Local politicians echoed their voters in seeing Council housing as a ladder that people could follow through their lives - from starter flat to family home to OAP bungalow. It was social and collective and affordable. There were few 'sink estates' and most tenants were either in work or retired.

Thatcher blew up that model!

Says the Lefty that was interested in seeing links
    There is no link between people from foreign countries and landlords in Cardiff flogging their houses

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    When I started working in housing in the mid 1980s it was still a tenure of choice. One third of the homes in Sheffield were Council homes (about 90,000 back then - down from a peak of over 100,000 in the late 70s). Housing Associations were still at the margins. It is now down to about 35,000.

People were generally proud of their rented homes. The fetish with home ownership was around but not as dominant as it became. A lot of homes (houses, flats, maisonettes and bungalows) were well cared for and people put time, money and effort into making them as good as they could be.

Back then Councils were more able to ensure repairs were done quickly and there were annual improvement programmes - from central heating to rewiring to new double glazed windows. Tenants Associations were everywhere and active. Local politicians echoed their voters in seeing Council housing as a ladder that people could follow through their lives - from starter flat to family home to OAP bungalow. It was social and collective and affordable. There were few 'sink estates' and most tenants were either in work or retired.

You are wasting your time with some of the feckwits on here I am afraid

Was that in Litherland?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    You're right, what drugs are they on?

Did you live in social housing at the time?

There is no link between people from foreign countries and landlords in Cardiff flogging their houses
    That didn't seem to bother you at all when you were asking for links to articles Sludge.
    It only seemed to bother you after you suddenly decided you didn't like the term "our people"... Is that not correct?

Let me break it down for you because you're doing my head in with your leftist shit and your inference that I may somehow be right wing....

When I refer to "my people", I'm referring to my family and friends. People I care a hell of a lot more about than foreign refugees.

When I refer to "our people", it's a very similar concept. My family, your family, the family's of the people posting here, and all our friends.
    When I refer to "our people", I'm pointing somewhat to the fact that we are obviously all Welsh, and that our grandfather's, great grandfather's etc, are the fabric that Wales was obviously built upon.

Their hard work, grafting in the mines etc, and our hard work to sustain what was built and inherited.

It's not right fecking wing, no matter how much your left-sided brain wants to try to paint it that way.

It's just concern for people that I consider my brethren.

For however many years I might exist on this earth, I am never really going to consider some random foreign Charlie that suddenly decides to rock up on these shores, my "brethren" moreso than my own family and friends, not even more than YOUR family and friends.

My point was that I feel somewhat aggrieved by the fact that foreigners rock up here and get housed in hotels, whilst "our own" (I know, you love that term...)
    are getting f*cked by the system, physically and mentally.

For the record, one of my best mates committed suicide not long after going through places like the Huggard Centre, not that I would expect you to give half a f*ck mind, your leftist brain thinks it's all good after all...

My point may not have been entirely relevant in the context of the thread. However, it wasn't exactly off topic in as much as it's still housing related and absolutely ties in.

You clearly didn't think it off topic at the time either, you asked for links ffs...
    You only decided otherwise when you decided that you didn't like my use of terminology, and it was somehow right wing...

I won't continue ranting, I don't wish to drag things down. I think I've made my points, and hopefully you can see the wood for the fecking trees...
    Have a good evening Sludge, I know you're not a bad bloke... Do yourself a favour though and quit trying to attack people over simple and innocent terminology though eh? We don't have to be extreme fecking left in order to not be extremely right, right,?

Now you’ve done it…..ps you’d have sky sports too for sure

That didn't seem to bother you at all when you were asking for links to articles Sludge.
    It only seemed to bother you after you suddenly decided you didn't like the term "our people"... Is that not correct?

Let me break it down for you because you're doing my head in with your leftist shit and your inference that I may somehow be right wing....

When I refer to "my people", I'm referring to my family and friends. People I care a hell of a lot more about than foreign refugees.

When I refer to "our people", it's a very similar concept. My family, your family, the family's of the people posting here, and all our friends.
    When I refer to "our people", I'm pointing somewhat to the fact that we are obviously all Welsh, and that our grandfather's, great grandfather's etc, are the fabric that Wales was obviously built upon.

Their hard work, grafting in the mines etc, and our hard work to sustain what was built and inherited.

It's not right fecking wing, no matter how much your left-sided brain wants to try to paint it that way.

It's just concern for people that I consider my brethren.

For however many years I might exist on this earth, I am never really going to consider some random foreign Charlie that suddenly decides to rock up on these shores, my "brethren" moreso than my own family and friends, not even more than YOUR family and friends.

My point was that I feel somewhat aggrieved by the fact that foreigners rock up here and get housed in hotels, whilst "our own" (I know, you love that term...)
    are getting f*cked by the system, physically and mentally.

For the record, one of my best mates committed suicide not long after going through places like the Huggard Centre, not that I would expect you to give half a f*ck mind, your leftist brain thinks it's all good after all...

My point may not have been entirely relevant in the context of the thread. However, it wasn't exactly off topic in as much as it's still housing related and absolutely ties in.

You clearly didn't think it off topic at the time either, you asked for links ffs...
    You only decided otherwise when you decided that you didn't like my use of terminology, and it was somehow right wing...

I won't continue ranting, I don't wish to drag things down. I think I've made my points, and hopefully you can see the wood for the fecking trees...
    Have a good evening Sludge, I know you're not a bad bloke... Do yourself a favour though and quit trying to attack people over simple and innocent terminology though eh? We don't have to be extreme fecking left in order to not be extremely right, right,?
    I will try and explain things again for you

You brought up the topic about foriegn people getting better treatment than .....our own

I asked for a link after the one you provided for me didn't work

I wanted to see evidence of what you were claiming

You told me to Google a few key words and I couldn't come up with anything at all apart from a Wales on line page with loads of racist rants

So I am afraid as far as it appears there is no link to poor housing in Cardiff and money being spent on looking after refugees ?

That's what you were clearly suggesting

I am not going to comment on the suicide you refer to , it would be completely inappropriate to do so

I have no idea if you are left or right wing or whatever

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Did you live in social housing at the time?
    Yes I did.

I was a Council tenant in Hyde Park flats for 3 years (and lived in a Council house before that - but a friend's tenancy not mine).

I will try and explain things again for you
    Yes
    You brought up the topic about foriegn people getting better treatment than .....our own

I asked for a link after the one you provided for me didn't work

I wanted to see evidence of what you were claiming

You told me to Google a few key words and I couldn't come up with anything at all apart from a Wales on line page with loads of racist rants

So I am afraid as far as it appears there is no link to poor housing in Cardiff and money being spent on looking after refugees ?

That's what you were clearly suggesting

I am not going to comment on the suicide you refer to , it would be completely inappropriate to do so

I have no idea if you are left or right wing or whatever
    Just to mention everyone in the world is "our people", we all emigrated from East Africa. Your right this original post is going way of topic. Let's return to more interesting stuff like putting a red hot poker up Liz's a**e to get Britain Moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Just to mention everyone in the world is "our people", we all emigrated from East Africa. Your right this original post is going way of topic. Let's return to more interesting stuff like putting a red hot poker up Liz's a**e to get Britain Moving.
    She's got everything under control now

Yeah right

She's got everything under control now

Yeah right
    She's incontinent

Why do you have such apparent hatred to the Tory voter (Tory scum is your usual terminology)
    Perhaps that Tory voter was from a normal background who went to college to better himself. The same person then ended up with a fantastic job ( with a bit of luck on the way ) and found that that particular party benefited his family financially and ethical slightly better than the other parties on offer, although the same person is entitled to change his mind if he sees fit.
    Hardly scum.

I’ve seen you in Cowbridge a few times over the years which I find astounding considering it’s a Tory scum stronghold. Why on earth would you go there , that’s the equivalent of a Cardiff fan living in Swansea.

Yes I did.

I was a Council tenant in Hyde Park flats for 3 years (and lived in a Council house before that - but a friend's tenancy not mine).

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Why do you have such apparent hatred to the Tory voter (Tory scum is your usual terminology)
    Perhaps that Tory voter was from a normal background who went to college to better himself. The same person then ended up with a fantastic job ( with a bit of luck on the way ) and found that that particular party benefited his family financially and ethical slightly better than the other parties on offer, although the same person is entitled to change his mind if he sees fit.
    Hardly scum.

I’ve seen you in Cowbridge a few times over the years which I find astounding considering it’s a Tory scum stronghold. Why on earth would you go there , that’s the equivalent of a Cardiff fan living in Swansea.
    Next time you see me say hello

Unless you are a tory

Next time you see me say hello

Unless you are a tory
    I will the next time I there , if you’re about mooching

A couple of comments - and I speak from experience. Firstly, the buy-to-let landlords selling up are probably relatively new to the market with high loan-to-equity, working to tight margins. It's not a good business model nowadays and is going to become even worse. Just losing 1 month's rental in a 12 month period would today mean 1000's of landlords losing money.

Secondly, most people would prefer to rent a half-decent property in the private sector as opposed to a council run/housing association one, where your likely to be surrounded by problems day and night. You'll also find pretty quickly that any problems with the property you may have, take a lot longer to get repaired that any enforcement action in the private sector.

The private rental market is getting smaller each month - the demand is increasing. Folk who want to enjoy quiet, untroubled living, will soon have nowhere to go other than council 'manage' properties.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Actually we didn't. Modern thinking is that we all originated further south from around Mozambique

Did you know that sub-saharan Africans were in these islands before the anglo-saxons, jutes and Danes and other Germanic tribes. They served as Roman auxiliaries. I always like to point this out to the intellectually challenged racists.

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    Actually we didn't. Modern thinking is that we all originated further south from around Mozambique

Did you know that sub-saharan Africans were in these islands before the anglo-saxons, jutes and Danes and other Germanic tribes. They served as Roman auxiliaries. I always like to point this out to the intellectually challenged racists.
    https://www.history.co.uk/article/th...roman-africans

Somewhere out there - maybe out in the open air - a refugee from Litherland is having a melt down!

https://www.history.co.uk/article/th...roman-africans

Somewhere out there - maybe out in the open air - a refugee from Litherland is having a melt down!
    Is he really out in the open air do you think? I mean al fresco like?