+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The growing crisis facing Cardiff's rental market with landlords selling up and 100 people fighting for every property

Re: The growing crisis facing Cardiff's rental market with landlords selling up and 100 people fighting for every property

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    Tongwynlais is a separate one I believe, before this latest one, which they've refused to name. This one is the third I'm aware of and is not the Copthorne which was taken over some time ago.

Bear in mind, local people have to fight for "floor space" at the Huggard Centre. They are made to sleep there for months, among junkies and alcoholics who regularly cause problems, or lose their chance of a room in a shitty hostel some time in the future. Would you consider this acceptable?

It's not a right-wing thing Sludge, so there's no need to lean so far left on this.
    It's simply a disgraceful situation introduced and endorsed by a Tory government.
    I worked in homeless provision in Cardiff. People with housing problems are rarely homeless without any other problems

Drug , alcohol abuse , mental health problems generally go hand in hand

It's far from perfect that people who find themselves homeless are forced to put up with violence and abuse and alcohol and drug taking and intimidation .......but its part of the package unfortunately, its all very complex and I don't know anyone who would think it's a satisfactory situation

This thing certainly is a political issue , the comments on that Wales online are appalling . Give them a read and tell me its not right wing ?

White Patriot groups sticking leaflets through letterboxes trying to whip up hatred ?

Read the report you asked me to Google and tell me if you think comments made are not offensive and racist ?

Re: The growing crisis facing Cardiff's rental market with landlords selling up and 100 people fighting for every property

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Yep cardiff council sold many off
    They had no choice

Maggie Thatcher gave people the legal right to buy council houses

The council didn't actively sell them

The people in these houses made a decision to buy their house .......and the council had to sell it to them

No choice

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    This thing certainly is a political issue , the comments on that Wales online are appalling . Give them a read and tell me its not right wing ?

White Patriot groups sticking leaflets through letterboxes trying to whip up hatred ?

Read the report you asked me to Google and tell me if you think comments made are not offensive and racist ?
    Sludge, as I pointed out earlier, the article I was referring to wasn't the Tongwynlais one that you've since referred to.
    I can't say I've read the comments on any of them. There are clearly many brain-dead cavemen that respond to Wales Online articles, you know that as well as I do.

The comments have nothing to do with the point being made, which is a simple one.

Our own people are being treated like shit, while immigrants are living in plush hotels and are treated like royalty by comparison. I won't ask you again if you agree whether that is right, because you'd clearly prefer to bat it off towards the politicians.

I'm quite prepared to say that I not only think it's disgusting, but utterly unacceptable.

But there we go, the Tories like ticking boxes whilst destroying what's left of "great" Britain, as we both know.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
    If there were no landlords the housing crisis would be a lot worse.
    Ahahhahahaha

Sludge, as I pointed out earlier, the article I was referring to wasn't the Tongwynlais one that you've since referred to.
    I can't say I've read the comments on any of them. There are clearly many brain-dead cavemen that respond to Wales Online articles, you know that as well as I do.

The comments have nothing to do with the point being made, which is a simple one.

Our own people are being treated like shit, while immigrants are living in plush hotels and are treated like royalty by comparison. I won't ask you again if you agree whether that is right, because you'd clearly prefer to bat it off towards the politicians.

I'm quite prepared to say that I not only think it's disgusting, but utterly unacceptable.

But there we go, the Tories like ticking boxes whilst destroying what's left of "great" Britain, as we both know.
    You are using very odd language like .....our own people ......I really can't be engaging with you on this matter I am afraid

You are using very odd language like .....our own people ......I really can't be engaging with you on this matter I am afraid
    Here we fecking go.... OTT much Sludge?
    Our own people is in relation to the people who worked their balls off to build what we have. Don't try and turn it into a racial thing like you have with others.
    I'm not right-wing or racist.
    If you wish to defend such policies, then you are no better than the scum Tories that you claim to hate.

I don't care whether you wish to engage or not Sludge quite frankly. I made a comment, you hopped on it asking for links. I stand by what I've said and the fact that it has nothing whatsoever to do with race hate or right wing extremism.

You can think whatever you like though, of course.

Our own people is in relation to the people who worked their balls off to build what we have. Don't try and turn it into a racial thing like you have with others.
    If you wish to defend such policies, then you are no better than the scum Tories that you claim to hate.

I don't care whether you wish to engage or not Sludge quite frankly. I made a comment, you hopped on it asking for links. I stand by what I've said and the fact that it has nothing whatsoever to do with race hate or right wing extremism.

It’s a sad state of affairs that politics of recent years has more and more local people on the huggard centre floor, with the only criticism being that refugees are being treated better.

Are we saying the refugees should be there instead? Because that’s certainly what the right wing media of the uk want you to think.

Surely we should be saying that none of them should be. It’s a disgrace in 2022 that anyone is

Well you are the one talking about OUR people which wether you like it or not is the language the right wing use ......us and them

Another one is why are we helping these migrants when we have ex soldiers sleeping on the streets?

Look after our own etc etc

As for defending these policies I have no idea what your talking about , if the local council is breaking the law .....string em up

You told me what to Google after the link failed . That's what I did and I read a story about housing migrants . The comments on the article were right wing .

Well you are the one talking about OUR people which wether you like it or not is the language the right wing use ......us and them

Another one is why are we helping these migrants when we have ex soldiers sleeping on the streets?

Look after our own etc etc

As for defending these policies I have no idea what your talking about , if the local council is breaking the law .....string em up

You told me what to Google after the link failed . That's what I did and I read a story about housing migrants . The comments on the article were right wing .
    Your compass has swung so far left in recent years that you're running around in circles.

Nothing I said is right wing.
    I do not have a "us and them" mentality, I have simply made the point that OUR own family members and friends are suffering whilst foreign immigrants are being treated like royalty by comparison.

Stop deliberately picking apart people's posts and looking for anything even slightly un-PC Sludge, which is exactly what you've done here.

I've certainly never had you down in the past as an extreme lefty, normally think you're better than that, but I suspect maybe your compass needs a slight repair!

Your compass has swung so far left in recent years that you're running around in circles.

Nothing I said is right wing.
    I do not have a "us and them" mentality, I have simply made the point that OUR own family members and friends are suffering whilst foreign immigrants are being treated like royalty by comparison.

Stop deliberately picking apart people's posts and looking for anything even slightly un-PC Sludge, which is exactly what you've done here.

I've certainly never had you down in the past as an extreme lefty, normally think you're better than that, but I suspect maybe your compass needs a slight repair!
    I am sorry but this isn't making sense

The thread was about landlords and people renting off them in Cardiff

It was nothing to do with the emergency accommodation provided for refugees, asylum seekers and others or services for them such as catering to their cultural needs

You brought this up and have linked the problem with emergency housing in Cardiff for ....our own people , your words .......and the treatment of refugees

It's completely separate

I am no supporter of crappy housing provision for the homeless of Cardiff of whatever background . You are the person who has a dodgy compass , you are linking two different things and coming up with a right pea soup .

I am sorry but this isn't making sense

The thread was about landlords and people renting off them in Cardiff

It was nothing to do with the emergency accommodation provided for refugees, asylum seekers and others or services for them such as catering to their cultural needs

You brought this up and have linked the problem with emergency housing in Cardiff for ....our own people , your words .......and the treatment of refugees

It's completely separate

I am no supporter of crappy housing provision for the homeless of Cardiff of whatever background . You are the person who has a dodgy compass , you are linking two different things and coming up with a right pea soup .
    I said I consider it a far greater concern.
    It's on the same damn topic, housing.
    Now stop attacking people for simply using terms like "our own", you left-wing fruitcake

Many landlords turn run down properties into habital housing which would otherwise be left derelict. Surely that has to be a positive thing.
    That could be normal buyers doing that but many can't because buy to let and lack of social housing puts prices up massively.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Yep cardiff council sold many off
    Right to buy ended in 2019.

Cardiff Council would have sold their remaining properties long before this date as a stock transfer to a HA’s in order to remain as social housing.

Cardiff Council as well as HA’s are developing new social housing, but pressures on the construction industry ( not helped yet again by Covid, with people being offsite and people undertaking their own home improvements) therefore significant material uplifts will have caused significant delays to the process.

In 2020/21 there were 3,604 new social rented homes developed (84% developed by social landlords), which is significantly lower than forecasted.

The current demise of the private landlord is also due to the new renting homes act in Wales due to be implemented December 22 (originally July 22), one of the key aspects is the fit for human habitation whereby a tenant has the right to withhold their rent payments if the property is not fit for human habitation. This act is causing many of the private landlords to sell their properties and reducing the rental markets.

Why is everything a crisis these days

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Right to buy ended in 2019.

Cardiff Council would have sold their remaining properties long before this date as a stock transfer to a HA’s in order to remain as social housing.

Cardiff Council as well as HA’s are developing new social housing, but pressures on the construction industry ( not helped yet again by Covid, with people being offsite and people undertaking their own home improvements) therefore significant material uplifts will have caused significant delays to the process.

In 2020/21 there were 3,604 new social rented homes developed (84% developed by social landlords), which is significantly lower than forecasted.

The current demise of the private landlord is also due to the new renting homes act in Wales due to be implemented December 22 (originally July 22), one of the key aspects is the fit for human habitation whereby a tenant has the right to withhold their rent payments if the property is not fit for human habitation. This act is causing many of the private landlords to sell their properties and reducing the rental markets.
    https://statswales.gov.wales/Catalog...thority-tenure

Cardiff Council sold all its remaining homes before the end of Welsh Right To Buy in 2019? That didn't sound right to me and the table above show they still own and manage just under 13,500 (which is more than the combined Registered Social Landlord - mainly Housing Association - stock in the city).

The number of private rented homes in Cardiff has dropped very slightly in the past few years - unlike the position in England where it has continued to rise as a tenure in absolute numbers and as a percentage of the whole housing stock.

You make it sound as if legally withholding rent on a property that 'is not fit for human habitation' is a bad thing, and driving landlords to sales who would otherwise be maintaining a bigger rental market. Bad private landlords, some of the bigger ones leaching on former Council homes, are a major part of the housing supply and affordability problem in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    https://statswales.gov.wales/Catalog...thority-tenure

Cardiff Council sold all its remaining homes before the end of Welsh Right To Buy in 2019? That didn't sound right to me and the table above show they still own and manage just under 13,500 (which is more than the combined Registered Social Landlord - mainly Housing Association - stock in the city).

The number of private rented homes in Cardiff has dropped very slightly in the past few years - unlike the position in England where it has continued to rise as a tenure in absolute numbers and as a percentage of the whole housing stock.

You make it sound as if legally withholding rent on a property that 'is not fit for human habitation' is a bad thing, and driving landlords to sales who would otherwise be maintaining a bigger rental market. Bad private landlords, some of the bigger ones leaching on former Council homes, are a major part of the housing supply and affordability problem in the UK.
    If their homes are deemed "not fit for human habitation" then in my view it's morally obligatory on the Government to remove them from the landlords' control and get the landlords' to cough up the dosh for repairs or they get their homes confiscated. Tough love!

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    If their homes are deemed "not fit for human habitation" then in my view it's morally obligatory on the Government to remove them from the landlords' control and get the landlords' to cough up the dosh for repairs or they get their homes confiscated. Tough love!
    It’s a good thing however the new act is clearly contributing to the housing shortfall, in the short-term at least.
    Hopefully the future will result in better quality affordable homes. Personally I think modular house building is the way forward as has been discussed previously.

I'd be more concerned about the lack of social housing available to locals, and the fact that immigrants are being housed in hotels with their own chefs, whilst locals from the area are being forced to sleep on the floor of the huggard centre.
    Well said.

Call me old fashion but I was brought up to work for a living and not depend on handouts. Should be no social housing if you want a house work for it.

Call me old fashion but I was brought up to work for a living and not depend on handouts. Should be no social housing if you want a house work for it.
    I won't call you "old fashion", but I will call you an obvious Tory boy

D minus, I think.

Some credit for the effort of making the post or it would be a straight E

On the subject of WUMs and WUMing - did you know that Wu Ming is Chinese for 'anonymous', and also the pseudonym for a group of Italian authors formed in 2000 from a subset of the Luther Blissett community in Bologna!

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    That could be normal buyers doing that but many can't because buy to let and lack of social housing puts prices up massively.
    'normal buyers' can buy derelict properties at property auctions if they want to put the work in.

So let's say you work hard to buy a house

But one afternoon you are cleaning the guttering , fall and break your back

And end up in a wheelchair

You can't work and you and your wife and kids have to sell because you are in debt

So you need somewhere to live

You need social housing ......the housing you think is for layabouts

But now you need it

What are you going to do now ?

It's your only option

Quote Originally Posted by HyperboreanCCFC View Post
    Well said.
    It's complete bollocks

It's complete bollocks
    Says the Lefty that was interested in seeing links