+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you agree with Nicola Sturgeon when she says she detests Tory’s?

Do you agree with Nicola Sturgeon when she says she detests Tory’s?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63192125

I certainly detest a Home Secretary who says she dreams of and is obsessed by deporting people to Rwanda.

Re: Do you agree with Nicola Sturgeon when she says she detests Tory’s?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63192125

I certainly detest a Home Secretary who says she dreams of and is obsessed by deporting people to Rwanda.
    Does Nicola admire or detest the WEF?

Ms Sturgeon said. "I was referring to Tory party values and policies, policies that throughout much of my lifetime have devastated communities and plunged people into poverty."

I agree with her completely.

Of course James will be along soon to explain that political parties (their members, values and policies) are all an even mix of the good and the bad and the equivalent of rival knitting clubs - and accuse anyone who disagrees with him of being a bigot. Same old...

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Ms Sturgeon said. "I was referring to Tory party values and policies, policies that throughout much of my lifetime have devastated communities and plunged people into poverty."

Of course James will be along soon to explain that political parties (their members, values and policies) are all an even mix of the good and the bad and the equivalent of rival knitting clubs - and accuse anyone who disagrees with him of being a bigot. Same old...
    'When Ms Truss was campaigning to be Tory leader, the prime minister branded Ms Sturgeon as an "attention seeker" who was best ignored.'

.....I hate to break it to you Jon, but that sounds like a lot of the knitting clubs I've been banned from!

Yes, I detest them. Braverman is just one in a long line of thoroughly detestable individuals. Even IDS resigned over cuts to PIP. This lot are worse.

The idea politicians must remain civil at all times is silly, we all know how she feels. The same way your waiter in a restaurant doesn’t really care about your day or is walking around with a smile naturally.

Sturgeon is not only elected for her policies but her opinions and personality. All politicians are. Whether they should be judged on those things is a separate matter.

The Conservative government we’ve had for the last 12 years have enacted policies to benefit their voters and donors whilst simultaneously worsening the lives of huge swathes of the population. Arguably killing people in the process of to lining the pockets of their friends. Sturgeon saying “I detest them” is in line with a huge chunk of her voters and will probably win/keep more votes than it loses.

Interesting. I notice the headline the BBC are using is the quote “I detest Tories” whereas the actual quote in the article is “I detest THE Tories” a subtle but important difference the BBC seemed to carelessly miss….

How can you separate the person who brings in the policies from the policies themselves. I detest them too and know very few thank God.

More than happy to be mentioned here in championing the idea that hating people because of a certain characteristic is fundementally wrong. Cheers Jon.

This lot are particularly bad

Patel , the latest right wing nutter , the fat old health Secretary......how on earth have these people got prominent jobs ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    This lot are particularly bad

Patel , the latest right wing nutter , the fat old health Secretary......how on earth have these people got prominent jobs ?
    'The fat old Health Secretary' looks like Twiggy compared to most of the women you've seduced with the promise of a free large pie and chips down the years.

You rotter, you.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    More than happy to be mentioned here in championing the idea that hating people because of a certain characteristic is fundementally wrong. Cheers Jon.
    Values and policies that 'have devastated communities and plunged people into poverty' are not characteristics.

Detesting someone because they have certain physical features, were born into a particular culture or belief system, or don't like Marmite is fundamentally wrong.

Detesting someone who promotes attitudes or policies that have a real and damaging effect on family, friends, neighbours or distant communities is fundamentally right.

It is simple.

Values and policies that 'have devastated communities and plunged people into poverty' are not characteristics.

Detesting someone because they have certain physical features, were born into a particular culture or belief system, or don't like Marmite is fundamentally wrong.

Detesting someone who promotes attitudes or policies that have a real and damaging effect on family, friends, neighbours or distant communities is fundamentally right.

It is simple.
    It's not simple though. That's merely your opinion. And you can seek to justify it all you like, but other people would interpret it differently and accuse your beliefs of creating misery and poverty and creating division etc.

If you pour your hatred into the pot and they pour theirs in, before you know it you have a pretty grim, hate filled world. You think it's fair to hate because you accuse them of certain policies. Others may hate you for being godless or may hate you for supporting someone accused of antisemitism or any other things that may or may not be true. It's all hate fuelled by ideology and general intolerance.

The world is full of different opinions, tolerance and understanding is the way forward.

It's not simple though. That's merely your opinion. And you can seek to justify it all you like, but other people would interpret it differently and accuse your beliefs of creating misery and poverty and creating division etc.

If you pour your hatred into the pot and they pour theirs in, before you know it you have a pretty grim, hate filled world. You think it's fair to hate because you accuse them of certain policies. Others may hate you for being godless or may hate you for supporting someone accused of antisemitism or any other things that may or may not be true. It's all hate fuelled by ideology and general intolerance.

The world is full of different opinions, tolerance and understanding is the way forward.
    https://images.app.goo.gl/NVLYPaMCQmAJ3N6Q6

Such on that

This is lovely James but we’ve gone from sanctimony to burning martyr to piety in the space of a few months. Has your account been hacked? Anyway, have these 🌸🌼🌻 in lieu of a pint because there’s no way I’m going to set foot in a Spoons!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    This is lovely James but we’ve gone from sanctimony to burning martyr to piety in the space of a few months. Has your account been hacked? Anyway, have these ������ in lieu of a pint because there’s no way I’m going to set foot in a Spoons!
    I'm not sure what you mean, but I've always been pretty consistent that hatred of groups because of belief or any characteristic is plain wrong. Thanks for the flowers, I love them

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I'm not going there after you.

I'm not sure what you mean, but I've always been pretty consistent that hatred of groups because of belief or any characteristic is plain wrong. Thanks for the flowers, I love them
    You're welcome Mr J!

It is simple.
    The above is your opinion, which you often confuse for fact.

You're a cantankerous old tanky whose opinion doesn't really matter. You'd find fault with the Tories even if they said every man can smell Holly Willougbhy's underwear.

Reading this,

https://www.resolutionfoundation.org...ce%20inflation.

is it any surprise that there are people in this country who detest the party which has been in power for the last dozen years and more? A party that's latest leader and Chancellor were going to willingly make a decision which would have increased that gap between rich and poor if their "fiscal event" policies had been accepted in full.

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    The above is your opinion, which you often confuse for fact.

You're a cantankerous old tanky whose opinion doesn't really matter. You'd find fault with the Tories even if they said every man can smell Holly Willougbhy's underwear.
    Of course it's my opinion. What else could it be. Just like you and James and the Lither clones give opinions. I assume for all of us they are opinions based on our experience, values, analysis, hopes and fears. And based on our understanding of what are facts in a particular situation. And of course other people will disagree.

I don't see the virtue in fence-sitting, denying the impact of political decisions or championing some mythical 'middle ground' (like between racists and anti-racists!). These things do matter in the real world, even if they don't in a keyboard argument on a football message board. it is often a matter of life or death, or at the very least about quality of life.

Good to see 'tanky' thrown around too - even if misapplied. A blast from the past! As I have said in a recent thread, I was on the other side from the tankies. Just as a Tory accountant like you, with fantasies about Holly Willoughby's thongs, was on the other side of the Brexit divide from Farage.

If she'd said she hates Nazis that would still be wrong?

Of course it's my opinion. What else could it be. Just like you and James and the Lither clones give opinions. I assume for all of us they are opinions based on our experience, values, analysis, hopes and fears. And based on our understanding of what are facts in a particular situation. And of course other people will disagree.

I don't see the virtue in fence-sitting, denying the impact of political decisions or championing some mythical 'middle ground' (like between racists and anti-racists!). These things do matter in the real world, even if they don't in a keyboard argument on a football message board. it is often a matter of life or death, or at the very least about quality of life.

Good to see 'tanky' thrown around too - even if misapplied. A blast from the past! As I have said in a recent thread, I was on the other side from the tankies. Just as a Tory accountant like you, with fantasies about Holly Willoughby's thongs, was on the other side of the Brexit divide from Farage.
    Everyone has an opinion, and those opinions and belief systems are shaped by their own life experiences. Ignoring the hard left and far right, who are really two sides of the same coin, the left wish to see solutions to society's problems based on collective responsibility, whereas the right wish to see such solutions based more on personal responsibility. There is no right or wrong answer and each will have its merits for any given set of factors.

To lambast an entire group of people because they believe more in personal responsibility than collective responsibility is outright bigotry. The Tories don't go out of their way to ruin communities or make peoples lives more difficult as you have suggested. The Tories are of the opinion that that personal responsibility is the way to a better life. There is nothing wrong with that per se. Similarly there is nothing wrong with believing in shared responsibility either.

I don't support this government or what they stand for at all. But that doesn't mean I am going to hate them for it.

And why can't all your posts be injected with a little humour like this one?

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    If she'd said she hates Nazis that would still be wrong?
    Godwin's law?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Godwin's law?
    I'm not comparing them to Nazi's just testing whether you can't hate someone because of a characteristic other than those protected.

If you'd rather, is it ok to say you hate all rapists, all pedophiles, and so on.
    Doesn't always seem fundamentally wrong to me