+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Would a young Earnshaw have done anything in this team?

Would a young Earnshaw have done anything in this team?

Any thoughts?

Re: Would a young Earnshaw have done anything in this team?

Hed obviously hed improve the squad.

Buries the Watters chances v Birmingham.

He would have finished more chances that’s for sure. However he would needed a bigger partner.

Lots of backflips, I’d guess.

Don’t think there’s room in the game for pure out and out poachers anymore like Earnie

Seemingly strikers need to either be a target man or inverted forward/wingers

A young Earnshaw would arguably improve any Championship team

Bloody hell, yes! There’ve been plenty of chances this season for a young Earnshaw. He’d have been in the right place for most of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitman View Post
    Don’t think there’s room in the game for pure out and out poachers anymore like Earnie

Seemingly strikers need to either be a target man or inverted forward/wingers
    Was Earnie just a poacher, he used to frighten the f*** out defenses when running at them or a ball in behind. Maybe my memory but thought he had a bit more to him then just a fox in the box?
    Last edited by OurManFlint II; 03-10-22 at 14:35. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Was Earnie just a poacher, he used to frighten the f*** out defenses when running at them or a ball in behind. Maybe my memory but thought he had a bit more to him then just a fox in the box?
    He was/is one of my favourite City players.

I think so. Earnie as a footballer played the same way he did when he was 13,14,15. I ran a junior side that came up against him during that period. He was very good at finding small pockets of space in the penalty box and pulling the trigger with one touch, that's all he needed. There have been opportunities that Earnie thrived on during his career, loose balls in the box, but none of our strikers have had the ability to anticipate those balls like Earnie could.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I think so. Earnie as a footballer played the same way he did when he was 13,14,15. I ran a junior side that came up against him during that period. He was very good at finding small pockets of space in the penalty box and pulling the trigger with one touch, that's all he needed. There have been opportunities that Earnie thrived on during his career, loose balls in the box, but none of our strikers have had the ability to anticipate those balls like Earnie could.
    Have you read his book? Started out playing with a football made of plastic carrier bags! I like your description of him. One touch. He’d have scored several in this side. He’s another one who never seems to age!

Earnie would be a winger/inside forward in this day and age. Outside of the lower leagues almost nobody plays a front 2 with a striker playing off the back shoulder any more.

Having said that, I think with his pace and finishing ability he'd still be a very good player, he'd have had to up his work rate though in today's game. Wasn't it at West Brom where he scored a goal a game in the Prem and still couldn't get off the bench because the manager didn't rate his tracking back and they had a big falling out?

Peter Thorne would be excellent in the modern game, in my opinion, such a clever footballer at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Lots of backflips, I’d guess.
    Only if he had the supply that would give him goalscoring opportunities

Yes. He'd score 10-15 goals.