+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Would Robinson work well with a target man

Would Robinson work well with a target man

I’ve been really impressed with Robinson but I wonder if a classic little and large 2 up front would be even better? He seems to drop into pockets quite a lot to get the ball but then isnt in a position to get the ball in behind.

Re: Would Robinson work well with a target man

We’re not playing a style of game suited to a target man. He might work well with a partner though. For me the biggest problem is the speed of play. I have no problem with patient build-up, but when we decide to move the ball into the attacking area it has be quicker and more decisive. We’re giving trans far too much time to adjust and set up.

We’re giving trans far too much time to adjust and set up.[/QUOTE]

?? It's not a 5 minute job I'd guess

Talking of target men, we get the latest on Davies, Colwill and Adams before every game they miss, but Etete never gets a mention.

Etete was a strange signing, like Tanner is he thought of as a project???
    We needed an experienced forward , Hughill and Ikepeazu were signed in the January transfer window because we had identified that we needed better than what we currently had to choose from.

With the average tenure of a Championship manager being 18-20 months, it was odd that an inexperienced player was bought in for such a key position?

I hope Etete goes on to fulfill the potential that was spotted with us and he becomes a key player, I just don't see it happening this season

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    Etete was a strange signing, like Tanner is he thought of as a project???
    We needed an experienced forward , Hughill and Ikepeazu were signed in the January transfer window because we had identified that we needed better than what we currently had to choose from.

With the average tenure of a Championship manager being 18-20 months, it was odd that an inexperienced player was bought in for such a key position?

I hope Etete goes on to fulfill the potential that was spotted with us and he becomes a key player, I just don't see it happening this season
    Had Tanner been playing for the U21s I’ve not really noticed, anyone know how he’s doing.

at Preston apparently Robinson was most effective as a 10, would love to see Etete coming good at this level alongside him.
    Clearly not as a target man, but think Robinson is best with alongside an out and out striker

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Talking of target men, we get the latest on Davies, Colwill and Adams before every game they miss, but Etete never gets a mention.
    Brief mention in the pre-match press conference before Blackburn:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...udson-25163520

On Kion Etete, the manager said: "Yeah he has missed a bit, unfortunately for him. He had quite a decent injury to the ankle. We are getting him on the grass and then he has to do something specific for him. He’ll be a good addition to the squad and he’s not too far away."

Although I'm not quite sure what much of that means. 'Decent injury'?

Why would we want a ‘target man’ ? We are trying to play a different style of football now to what has gone before but all anyone does is complain that we need one. Do Liverpool, Arsenal or Man City play with one - no. If you want to go back to hitting it long all the time then fair enough but I thought that we were trying to get past that type of thing. Quick, mobile and technically gifted forwards is the way to go.

We could definitely do with a strong striker who can bring others into play. Ideally be an aerial presence as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Why would we want a ‘target man’ ? We are trying to play a different style of football now to what has gone before but all anyone does is complain that we need one. Do Liverpool, Arsenal or Man City play with one - no. If you want to go back to hitting it long all the time then fair enough but I thought that we were trying to get past that type of thing. Quick, mobile and technically gifted forwards is the way to go.
    Just because Liverpool and city don’t play with one doesn’t mea it isn’t a viable option for most styles of play. Works well with Fulham and mitrovic. It also doesn’t just mean a big tall lump. I’d include Kane, Giroud, Lukaku, ibrahimivic and even Lewandowski as examples of target men

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    Just because Liverpool and city don’t play with one doesn’t mea it isn’t a viable option for most styles of play. Works well with Fulham and mitrovic. It also doesn’t just mean a big tall lump. I’d include Kane, Giroud, Lukaku, ibrahimivic and even Lewandowski as examples of target men
    I agree. We really need an alternative to Robinson and Harris up top when it gets tough.
    Watched QPR v Reading last night and Andy Carroll played the whole game and scored a pen. He is the sort of back up we need.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    Think Man City have a decent 6ft 4ins centre forward .

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I’ve been really impressed with Robinson but I wonder if a classic little and large 2 up front would be even better? He seems to drop into pockets quite a lot to get the ball but then isnt in a position to get the ball in behind.
    Surely that suggests then that what we need isn't a target man but someone who'll get in behind? The way we play isn't suited to a traditional target man and the way Robinson drops into pockets of space and brings others into play is pretty much what a target man would do anyway

I dont junk anyone would argue we would be a better side with Keiffer in it. With Robinson just behind or alongside we would be almost unplayable at this level.

Edit: replied to wrong post 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by D. Advocaat View Post
    We’re giving trans far too much time to adjust and set up.
    ?? It's not a 5 minute job I'd guess[/QUOTE]

😂😂😂😂… very good (this was the post I meant to reply to)

No that tactic left thank god its way one dimensionally..

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Think Man City have a decent 6ft 4ins centre forward .
    I think you might be being a bit pedantic there. Haarland is absolutely nothing like a traditional target man. He is so much more - pace, power, two good feet etc etc. In my opinion anyone wanting us to have a target man is looking to take us back to playing long balls all the time, presumably so that they can then complain about us doing it, as they continually did during Warnocks period. Kane isn't a traditional target man either, he plays all over the pitch nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    I think you might be being a bit pedantic there. Haarland is absolutely nothing like a traditional target man..
    He is the ultimate traditional target man.

Quote Originally Posted by Brisbane CCFC View Post
    He is the ultimate traditional target man.
    Indeed he is

He's very technical but he's a target man

I would still like Hugill in January.

That's a good shout, and with Davies back, we would have some great options alongside Robinson Etete and Harris
    If fit I'd like to see Sean Morrison offered a 6 month contract as well as a back up CB
    Moving on Watters, Nelson, Whyte and Sang