+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rangers v Liverpool

Rangers v Liverpool

Well that escalated quickly.

Re: Rangers v Liverpool

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/63203416

Rangers and Celtic are Championship teams for me, they get mullered in the Premier League

Sludge is off celebrating around the pubs of Cowbridge with his Liverpool top while posting stuff on his favourite Kop message board.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/63203416

Rangers and Celtic are Championship teams for me, they get mullered in the Premier League
    Based on their current squads maybe. If they had the Premier League money they would be up there competing. It's not that difficult to understand.

Rangers have crowds we could only dream of week in week out, and they’re not even a capital 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    Based on their current squads maybe. If they had the Premier League money they would be up there competing. It's not that difficult to understand.
    Thanks for the lesson and I agree in principle. Their fans are entitled and used to winning (apart from when they play decent teams), it would be interesting to see how they react to a relegation battle or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Rangers have crowds we could only dream of week in week out, and they’re not even a capital 😂
    They also win week in week out.

They also win week in week out.
    Well they didn't win last night that's for sure.

But they’re not

They’re historically a huge club and still have a massive fan base but a league that is struggling. So at the moment theyre in the same relevance of Club Bruges and Rapid Wien

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Well they didn't win last night that's for sure.
    It was a valiant effort.

Yes they are well supported but its exactly the same each season, who out of Celtic or Rangers will win the league. To me as a football fan that does become quite tedious and boring but to them i guess the crowd numbers don't lie and they love it.
    There will come a point when I think they will join the english set up in some capacity for sure, thats just football and it forever moves.
    They took a hammering last night and celtic haven't exactly set the champions league alight but i still think they are probably mid table prem teams in comparison with the standard of squads, don't forget rangers got to the europa final last year, no mean feat.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    Yes they are well supported but its exactly the same each season, who out of Celtic or Rangers will win the league. To me as a football fan that does become quite tedious and boring but to them i guess the crowd numbers don't lie and they love it.
    There will come a point when I think they will join the english set up in some capacity for sure, thats just football and it forever moves.
    They took a hammering last night and celtic haven't exactly set the champions league alight but i still think they are probably mid table prem teams in comparison with the standard of squads, don't forget rangers got to the europa final last year, no mean feat.
    Cardiff City got to the final of the FA Cup in 2008. No mean feat

it isnt guaranteed by any means, look at Sunderland, they have massive crowds but they haven't been "up there competing" for a long time.

Celtic and Rangers are huge clubs, and would easily be comparable to Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd etc if they were in the Premier League, and on many measurements they are comparable now, even though they are in such a demonstrably weaker league.

Didn't watch the game, but I don't think last night was typical - remember Rangers were an inch or two off winning the Europa League last season.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Celtic and Rangers are huge clubs, and would easily be comparable to Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd etc if they were in the Premier League, and on many measurements they are comparable now, even though they are in such a demonstrably weaker league.

Didn't watch the game, but I don't think last night was typical - remember Rangers were an inch or two off winning the Europa League last season.
    they could easily be up there with the big premier league clubs, or they could make a complete mess of it and really struggle. they wouldn't be the big fish in a small pond any more

They're 2 of the biggest clubs in the world. They have dedicated fan groups in every country. I've been in O'Neill's and Dempsey's when Celtic have been playing and there's been loads of Celtic fans decked out in colours. Go to Preston, New York, Tokyo and Bangkok and you'll see the same.
    Man United, Liverpool, Real Madrid, etc have millions of fans in Asia and Africa. But in terms of actual supporters with connections to the clubs, Celtic and Rangers are in the top 10 globally and I'd guess top 4 in the UK.

This thread has gone the way I’d hoped, after casually dripping the grenade haha. Interesting discussions though.

Agree with all of that.

Liverpool just beat Bournemouth 9-0 and Palace 7-0 last season, freak results like that happen. Obviously Rangers are nowhere near comparable to Liverpool in terms of quality but 9 times out of 10 Liverpool wouldn't get anywhere near scoring 7 against them. They only won 2-0 at Anfield last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Agree with all of that.

Liverpool just beat Bournemouth 9-0 and Palace 7-0 last season, freak results like that happen. Obviously Rangers are nowhere near comparable to Liverpool in terms of quality but 9 times out of 10 Liverpool wouldn't get anywhere near scoring 7 against them. They only won 2-0 at Anfield last week.
    Good point about the freak results.

I’d like them to join the English leagues by the way, I just think they’d be in for a bit of a shock.

Liverpool are 10th, Everton 12th, West Ham 13th and Villa (the club Gerard left Rangers for) are 16th. I don't think Celtic or Rangers would comfortably waltz into the top 10. I think it would take at least 3 seasons of EPL money to establish themselves

Thanks for the lesson and I agree in principle. Their fans are entitled and used to winning (apart from when they play decent teams), it would be interesting to see how they react to a relegation battle or two.
    Rangers were demoted to the bottom tier of Scottish football not that long ago, and were still getting bigger crowds than us.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Cardiff City got to the final of the FA Cup in 2008. No mean feat
    And the League Cup Final against Liverpool gaining a very creditable 2-2 draw losing on penalties. That was a bigger feat than losing to Pompey.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Rangers were demoted to the bottom tier of Scottish football not that long ago, and were still getting bigger crowds than us.
    Fair play to them, didn't even make a dent in their attendances.

10/11 - 45,305 - Premiership
    11/12 - 46,324 - Premiership
    12/13 - 45,744 - League 2
    13/14 - 42,657 - League 1
    15/16 - 45,325 - Championship
    16/17 - 48,893 - Premiership

For some reason the 14/15 season in the Championship was only 31,425. I can only assume there was some external factors that affected their crowds then.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    They were still a MASSIVE fish in a very small pond

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Fair play to them, didn't even make a dent in their attendances.

10/11 - 45,305 - Premiership
    11/12 - 46,324 - Premiership
    12/13 - 45,744 - League 2
    13/14 - 42,657 - League 1
    15/16 - 45,325 - Championship
    16/17 - 48,893 - Premiership

For some reason the 14/15 season in the Championship was only 31,425. I can only assume there was some external factors that affected their crowds then.
    that size of crowd doesn't give them that much of a financial advantage.
    even in the championship the additional income will be completely dwarfed by the parachute payments of the clubs that received them.