+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Senghenydd Colliery explosion - 109 years ago today

Senghenydd Colliery explosion - 109 years ago today

An interesting piece of history, some things I did not know.
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/16...y-industry-spt

Re: Senghenydd Colliery explosion - 109 years ago today

I live in Senghenydd and a few years goa they rigged up the original Siren which was used to signal the beginning and end of the shifts They also used it to signal a pit emergency by giving 6 long blasts and on the day of the official opening of the memorial gardens.It was an overcast misty morning and the sound coming down the valley was like nothing I 've ever heard before.Can't seem to find the words to do it justice but everybody stopped in their tracks and anyone that heard it that morning couldn't fail to be moved.

International

I recall being up there in the mid 60s. It was a dead town. A whole generation missing, totally grey and lifeless. One of the most depressing things I ever saw. I was only about 14 but I could feel it and recognise it even then

Horrific tragedy and to think that deep pit mining and the dangers that came with it were a way of life that so many communities were built around for so long.

I'm sure we have a few ex miners on here? Anyone with relatives or family history of tragedies like the one discussed?

I’ve just returned from the wonderful annual service. The children of the local schools were amazing as always, singing their hearts out. If any of you have time please visit our Heritage Museum and our National Memorial Garden, website here http://www.abervalleyheritage.co.uk/about-us/ and like our Facebook Page.

We are all volunteers and we are always looking for help and or donations. If there are any millionaires out there who would like to help, please message me

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    I live in Senghenydd and a few years goa they rigged up the original Siren which was used to signal the beginning and end of the shifts They also used it to signal a pit emergency by giving 6 long blasts and on the day of the official opening of the memorial gardens.It was an overcast misty morning and the sound coming down the valley was like nothing I 've ever heard before.Can't seem to find the words to do it justice but everybody stopped in their tracks and anyone that heard it that morning couldn't fail to be moved.
    There you go The Hooter was sounded for our 100 year anniversary. The Hooter is on display in our museum. https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail...tage/648979260

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    I’ve just returned from the wonderful annual service. The children of the local schools were amazing as always, singing their hearts out. If any of you have time please visit our Heritage Museum and our National Memorial Garden, website here http://www.abervalleyheritage.co.uk/about-us/ and like our Facebook Page.

We are all volunteers and we are always looking for help and or donations. If there are any millionaires out there who would like to help, please message me
    Fatty Junior was representing Cwmaber Junior today, I made sure she was presentable!

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty Thornton View Post
    Fatty Junior was representing Cwmaber Junior today, I made sure she was presentable!
    Fatty Junior did you proud.

Just crazy how much things have changed in 1 lifetime.

I live in Caerphilly and I thought my grandfather worked in the Sengenydd pit but reading it he must have been in Nantgarw or one of the others as it closed in 1928.

A proper valleys town

Growing up in the valley, you’re always reminded of it. Reading the list of names and addresses is entirely grim, an entire generation of men wiped from a small community. Nearly 100 victims from High Street and Commercial street alone.

On a lighter note, over 900 watched our football team last Saturday against Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Horrific tragedy and to think that deep pit mining and the dangers that came with it were a way of life that so many communities were built around for so long.

I'm sure we have a few ex miners on here? Anyone with relatives or family history of tragedies like the one discussed?
    Not quite on the same scale. Grew up in Cymmer, Porth. My father worked as a miner in Ynysbwl colliery (apart from his wartime service in the RAF). He had two very serious accidents - once (1953) the roof caved in and he was unconscious for 6 weeks, lost sight in his left eye and his sense of smell (which he missed most). Surface job then until money wasn't enough - went back underground and then someone started the conveyor belt without sounding warning - lost his left leg (1970). Compensation enabled them to buy a small bungalow into retirement - just over £6000 if I recall - -peanuts really, but he was comfortable enough in later life.

I went down the pit with him one day 'on tour' - dreadful place - showed me where his accidents happened and also where they used to keep the horses - he always said there was more of an inquest if a horse got hurt than a miner!

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Not quite on the same scale. Grew up in Cymmer, Porth. My father worked as a miner in Ynysbwl colliery (apart from his wartime service in the RAF). He had two very serious accidents - once (1953) the roof caved in and he was unconscious for 6 weeks, lost sight in his left eye and his sense of smell (which he missed most). Surface job then until money wasn't enough - went back underground and then someone started the conveyor belt without sounding warning - lost his left leg (1970). Compensation enabled them to buy a small bungalow into retirement - just over £6000 if I recall - -peanuts really, but he was comfortable enough in later life.

I went down the pit with him one day 'on tour' - dreadful place - showed me where his accidents happened and also where they used to keep the horses - he always said there was more of an inquest if a horse got hurt than a miner!
    Your father was certainly a brave man to go back down the pit after the first serious accident.
    It's a very interesting insight into how grim and often dangerous it must have been back then working in a coal mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Parry View Post
    Growing up in the valley, you’re always reminded of it. Reading the list of names and addresses is entirely grim, an entire generation of men wiped from a small community. Nearly 100 victims from High Street and Commercial street alone.

On a lighter note, over 900 watched our football team last Saturday against Barry.
    When I visited the memorial garden in Senghenydd what struck me was how far some of the dead were travelling to work, there were some from Cardiff, not just the small, local, community. Not just that, but the range of ages as well, there boys as well as men who were lost.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Just crazy how much things have changed in 1 lifetime.

I live in Caerphilly and I thought my grandfather worked in the Sengenydd pit but reading it he must have been in Nantgarw or one of the others as it closed in 1928.

A proper valleys town
    He may have worked in The Windsor Pit in Abertridwr. We’ve just unveiled a new memorial for those killed in that pit. Every man killed has his name on the memorial (sponsored by family/friends). We are also taking names of those who worked in the Windsor Pit. If your grandfather did work there maybe something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    He may have worked in The Windsor Pit in Abertridwr. We’ve just unveiled a new memorial for those killed in that pit. Every man killed has his name on the memorial (sponsored by family/friends). We are also taking names of those who worked in the Windsor Pit. If your grandfather did work there maybe something to consider.
    My mother confirmed he worked in the Bedwas and Nantgarw pits