+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Seven decades of Cardiff City v Coventry City matches.

Seven decades of Cardiff City v Coventry City matches.

Re: Seven decades of Cardiff City v Coventry City matches.

60s Ken Hale

70's Roy Barry

80's Peter Hormantschuk

I'm hoping they have a Ben Wilson playing for them

All correct, Coventry’s Ben Wilson used to play for us.

00s There were two Eddie Johnsons, luckily we ended up with the good one.

90s Viorel Moldovan

Both correct Loramski, I remember the other Eddie Johnson was regarded as quite a prospect in his youth;-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_...sh_footballer)

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Both correct Loramski, I remember the other Eddie Johnson was regarded as quite a prospect in his youth;-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_...sh_footballer)
    Those FA Youth Cup finals are interesting to look back on. For every Rooney, Pogba, Bale, Foden etc that appears there must be ten or more who don't make the grade. Chelsea have done well bringing players through, to be fair, but youth development seems such a lottery.

I wonder how we'd have done predicting where Bellamy's title-winning Academy squad would be now? Spence at Gloucester, Pinchard at Hereford, Patten and Margetson were unused subs as Fylde played Kidderminster recently, Reynolds at Penybont. Sam Bowen can't get a game at Newport, Kieron Evans goalless at Torquay, Dan Griffiths hasn't got a club after leaving Chippenham. All played some age group stuff for Wales, Plenty of time still, of course, but the writing is surely on the wall for a number of them. Hard to believe in some cases.

Anyway, back on topic. 10s Jonson Clarke-Harris

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Those FA Youth Cup finals are interesting to look back on. For every Rooney, Pogba, Bale, Foden etc that appears there must be ten or more who don't make the grade. Chelsea have done well bringing players through, to be fair, but youth development seems such a lottery.

I wonder how we'd have done predicting where Bellamy's title-winning Academy squad would be now? Spence at Gloucester, Pinchard at Hereford, Patten and Margetson were unused subs as Fylde played Kidderminster recently, Reynolds at Penybont. Sam Bowen can't get a game at Newport, Kieron Evans goalless at Torquay, Dan Griffiths hasn't got a club after leaving Chippenham. All played some age group stuff for Wales, Plenty of time still, of course, but the writing is surely on the wall for a number of them. Hard to believe in some cases.

Anyway, back on topic. 10s Jonson Clarke-Harris
    It doesn't help that the two Academy products who've made it into the first team squad are both injured at the moment, we shouldn't forget Bagan either (Eli King was a bit young for that team, but he's another who we shouldn't forget), so that's an above average number for a youth team I'd say (I always remember Sam Hammam saying his target was to get one Academy product breaking into the first team a year). However, I still believe there should haver been more from that team who made it into the first team squad on a regular basis.

We all know how bad Mick McCarthy turned out to be for us, but his overall managerial record is still a good one and I'd say it is a matter of fact that Sam Bowen would have played more first team football for us if he'd not got injured soon after being one of the best players on the pitch in the home game with Reading last season which we, somehow, lost despite being completely dominant. Although it can't be ruled out at the moment, it seems unlikely that Steve Morison will end up with as good a record in management as McCarthy has and yet, Bowen is in Newport's reserve team (if they have one now) now because Steve Morison didn't rate him, yet Mick McCarthy clearly did (it's said that Wintle was loaned to Blackpool because McCarthy thought Bowen could do a better job than him).

Keiron Evans is a strange one, Morison rated him highly enough to start with him in his first game in charge, but, somewhere along the line, our former manager changed his mind about him. Evans has struggled at Torquay as well, although I did see that he was selected as Man of the Match recently, only to fracture his ribs in the next game). If some of the rumours going around regarding Morison are true (I heard a few horror stories from a mate of mine who doesn't use social media yesterday - right or wrong, the rumours do seem to be widespread), then I'd say that some of the young players involved could well find it hard to move on from some of their experiences at Cardiff.

Clarke-Harris is correct for the 10s answer.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It doesn't help that the two Academy products who've made it into the first team squad are both injured at the moment, we shouldn't forget Bagan either (Eli King was a bit young for that team, but he's another who we shouldn't forget), so that's an above average number for a youth team I'd say (I always remember Sam Hammam saying his target was to get one Academy product breaking into the first team a year). However, I still believe there should haver been more from that team who made it into the first team squad on a regular basis.

We all know how bad Mick McCarthy turned out to be for us, but his overall managerial record is still a good one and I'd say it is a matter of fact that Sam Bowen would have played more first team football for us if he'd not got injured soon after being one of the best players on the pitch in the home game with Reading last season which we, somehow, lost despite being completely dominant. Although it can't be ruled out at the moment, it seems unlikely that Steve Morison will end up with as good a record in management as McCarthy has and yet, Bowen is in Newport's reserve team (if they have one now) now because Steve Morison didn't rate him, yet Mick McCarthy clearly did (it's said that Wintle was loaned to Blackpool because McCarthy thought Bowen could do a better job than him).

Keiron Evans is a strange one, Morison rated him highly enough to start with him in his first game in charge, but, somewhere along the line, our former manager changed his mind about him. Evans has struggled at Torquay as well, although I did see that he was selected as Man of the Match recently, only to fracture his ribs in the next game). If some of the rumours going around regarding Morison are true (I heard a few horror stories from a mate of mine who doesn't use social media yesterday - right or wrong, the rumours do seem to be widespread), then I'd say that some of the young players involved could well find it hard to move on from some of their experiences at Cardiff.

Clarke-Harris is correct for the 10s answer.
    I wasn't having a pop at the club at all there (or Morison), quite a few of those lads are still here and not just the ones around the first team currently (King did play a bit that season, as did Taylor Jones, Pritchard, Kavanagh and Ashford). It's what's happened to some of the others that baffles me and I was just pointing out that it happens at all clubs, even where the youth team is the best around.

Of course every player isn't going to make the grade but what separates those who do from those who don't is beyond me in a lot of cases. As I said, all the lads I mentioned in my previous post played for Wales at youth level (as did players like Coxe, Abbruzzese and O'Sullivan before them) so it's not just the club who saw potential in them. You saw more of Spence than I did, can you explain why he's playing for Gloucester now (and why Dan Griffiths hasn't got a club) while Mark Harris is playing regularly in the Championship? I'd be a liar if I said I saw that coming.