+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We really should have a General Election.

We really should have a General Election.

Okay, when a PM changes (e.g. Blair to Brown or Cameron to May) there shouldn't be an automatic General Election, but when you're talking about Johnson to Truss as we get a fourth Prime Minister within just over sic years (with every chance of a fifth one soon it would appear) it becomes different -although two of them won overall majorities at subsequent elections, having the last three PMs foisted on us by a tiny percentage of the electorate is not right.

Also, although I've never been a reader of party manifestos, I would expect what the Government does after an election to broadly resemble what appeared in their manifesto. I'd imagine that people voted Tory in 2019 expecting Johnson to "get Brexit done" and to see the "levelling up" programme implemented. In fact, Brexit is far from done when you consider the position in Northern Ireland and, surprise, surprise levelling up has just proved to be a lot of Johnson style hot air and bluster.

However, the main reason we should have an election is that, in the past few months, we've seen the "election" of a PM who attracted the votes of a minority of Tory MPs and party members entitled to vote whose approach was revolutionary and nothing like the version of Conservatism set out in the 2019 manifesto. Similarly, with the demise and humiliation of the Truss/Kwarteng axis, we're now, it seems, due for yet more austerity - again, can anyone show me where that was promised in the 2019 manifesto?

In the past month, Government financial policy has switched from one extreme to the other, with neither programme bearing much relationship to to what the voters of the UK were offered in the Conservative Party manifesto - they did not have a mandate for Truss' trickle down bollox and they don't have one for more years of austerity.

Re: We really should have a General Election.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Okay, when a PM changes (e.g. Blair to Brown or Cameron to May) there shouldn't be an automatic General Election, but when you're talking about Johnson to Truss as we get a fourth Prime Minister within just over sic years (with every chance of a fifth one soon it would appear) it becomes different -although two of them won overall majorities at subsequent elections, having the last three PMs foisted on us by a tiny percentage of the electorate is not right.

Also, although I've never been a reader of party manifestos, I would expect what the Government does after an election to broadly resemble what appeared in their manifesto. I'd imagine that people voted Tory in 2019 expecting Johnson to "get Brexit done" and to see the "levelling up" programme implemented. In fact, Brexit is far from done when you consider the position in Northern Ireland and, surprise, surprise levelling up has just proved to be a lot of Johnson style hot air and bluster.

However, the main reason we should have an election is that, in the past few months, we've seen the "election" of a PM who attracted the votes of a minority of Tory MPs and party members entitled to vote whose approach was revolutionary and nothing like the version of Conservatism set out in the 2019 manifesto. Similarly, with the demise and humiliation of the Truss/Kwarteng axis, we're now, it seems, due for yet more austerity - again, can anyone show me where that was promised in the 2019 manifesto?

In the past month, Government financial policy has switched from one extreme to the other, with neither programme bearing much relationship to to what the voters of the UK were offered in the Conservative Party manifesto - they did not have a mandate for Truss' trickle down bollox and they don't have one for more years of austerity.
    I couldn't agree with you more. It's the only way to get some direction for UK politics as even the tories themselves are so divided now.

I'd accepted Truss was PM without the will of the people. I'd also accept (to a point) that they may veer from their manifesto somewhat because, let's not deny it, they've had a fairly bad hand dealt them over recent years.

It's the shambles she's made of it in the last few weeks that is the end of it. We've now got a Chancellor running the country, rightly or wrongly ripping up the plans that made her PM, while she is nowhere to be seen and toothless. Even his own party didn't get Jeremy Hunt far in their leadership contest, but here he is, proxy PM.

A general election can't come soon enough.

Well the longer the Tories are in charge the longer they have to con the voters

I personally will be emigrating to porthcawl if the country votes this lot in after all the lies and backtracking

It wouldn't surprise me though . There are a lot of thick voters in the UK .

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

It doesn't matter so much that we change PM's between election cycles. It matters a lot more whether the new leader dramatically deviates from the manifesto. Voters can't change much anyway. As we have recently seen, international (((bankers))) run Western countries and dictate policy. Who voted them in?

A general election would seem to be the only way to tidy up UK politics - at least for the short term. For the Tories it would also give them a reasonable chance of being back in government within 5 years, not 7.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Well the longer the Tories are in charge the longer they have to con the voters

I personally will be emigrating to porthcawl if the country votes this lot in after all the lies and backtracking

It wouldn't surprise me though . There are a lot of thick voters in the UK .
    Were you one of the thick voters conned by Blair and his illegal neo con wars?

I can't say I have an issue with a party passing the baton on to a new leader without a general election. That seems reasonable and (should!!) ensure stability. If it happened twice, I think there are serious questions about the legitimacy of that government.

Bob is right about the deviation from the manifesto too. Johnson offered, agree or not, something quite different both to what was initially proposed under Truss, and what we now seem set for under Truss. In fact, I have no idea what any of the policies are as things stand.

I think we need stability right now more than anything else. An election will come in due course maybe sooner than you think but I don't think one should be called now.

You lot missing Boris Johnson yet!?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

No.

I dread to think who you lot give us next though.

😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    No.

I dread to think who you lot give us next though.

������
    The Downing St cat.

The Downing St cat.
    😂😂😂

The Downing St cat.
    I'd certainly welcome Larry the Mouser

I can't say I have an issue with a party passing the baton on to a new leader without a general election. That seems reasonable and (should!!) ensure stability. If it happened twice, I think there are serious questions about the legitimacy of that government.

Bob is right about the deviation from the manifesto too. Johnson offered, agree or not, something quite different both to what was initially proposed under Truss, and what we now seem set for under Truss. In fact, I have no idea what any of the policies are as things stand.

I think we need stability right now more than anything else. An election will come in due course maybe sooner than you think but I don't think one should be called now.

No, Like with all good comedies you can think back to the funniest bits but they always have a short shelf life

You talk about batons being handed on, but it’s a 4 x one month relay when it comes to Chancellors and a 4 x two years one for Prime Ministers (although the baton looks to have been dropped at the last change).

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    A general election would seem to be the only way to tidy up UK politics - at least for the short term. For the Tories it would also give them a reasonable chance of being back in government within 5 years, not 7.
    I suppose whilst it could be strategically advantageous to let labour deal with the shitstorm of the next x years. The Tories know oh too well how easy it is to pin everything on the party who just left for a solid 8-10 years.

I think we will most likely limp along to a slightly early election rather than anything drastic.

Well ask Labour to call for a vote in the house of commons they say they are ready and their manifesto sounds like a winner ,anyone got a copy they post up

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Well ask Labour to call for a vote in the house of commons they say they are ready and their manifesto sounds like a winner ,anyone got a copy they post up
    While it wouldn’t make sense to have a manifesto out there two years ahead of an election, they can just piece a load of rubbish together as long as it’s what people want to hear. No one will be worried about going down a different route entirely once they’re in power, they could just change the leader

Quote Originally Posted by HyperboreanCCFC View Post
    No

Quote Originally Posted by HyperboreanCCFC View Post
    Were you one of the thick voters that was conned by Farage and voted to leave EU or were you one of the thick voters that thought Fat arsehole liar Boris J was a good PM..or are you one of the thick voters that thought Liz truss was a going to save the UK from economic disaster?

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    Were you one of the thick voters that was conned by Farage and voted to leave EU or were you one of the thick voters that thought Fat arsehole liar Boris J was a good PM..or are you one of the thick voters that thought Liz truss was a going to save the UK from economic disaster?
    He's a feckin tory so he is all three

CCMB Wefers & Globalists

Be careful what you wish for

FREE ADVICE
    Clandestine

He's a feckin tory so he is all three
    Watch out he's A dolf again. Says it all.

Were you one of the thick voters who thought calling people thick voters would help you win elections only to lose several of them in a row but still adopt the same tactic?

Were you one of the thick voters who thought calling people thick voters would help you win elections only to lose several of them in a row but still adopt the same tactic?
    So why does it appear these voters who fell for the nonsense put out and voted for it in places where European aid was vital ......appear to be turning against the Tories and supporting Labour in huge numbers ?

So why does it appear these voters who fell for the nonsense put out and voted for it in places where European aid was vital ......appear to be turning against the Tories and supporting Labour in huge numbers ?
    Did they fall for the nonsense, or did you? Who knows.

EU aid is a tiny proportion of what is spent by central government in the same areas. There is an argument it achieved very little of substance and the UK paid far more into the EU than it received, so there is a strong argument that it was a very inefficient way to spend and receive money.

Just different opinions. No one side was thick and the other enlightened. To think such a simplistic thing would likely put someone in the former of those camps anyway.

Farage wasn't a Tory, How did he con voters?
    I have my own reasons for disliking Boris and have long been disillusioned with the current political landscape/setup. Boris isn't Conservative enough for me. Why was Boris a bad PM for you? A few parties at number 10 that he barely attended?
    Liz Truss's economic policy may well prove the correct call in the medium term, i think you're guilty of letting international (((bankers))) tell you who is electable.