+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Well Never Forget Liz

Well Never Forget Liz

Those 44 days, knocks George Canning into a cocked hat by approx 74 days. We won't see her ilk again.

I propose we have a pub chain in her name; Liz and Lettuce.

Re: Well Never Forget Liz

Remove a week for the Queens death, and it's 37 effective days.

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    Remove a week for the Queens death, and it's 37 effective days.
    First one Liz departs and then the other.

I'd say it was a fortnight for the Queen's death - it felt much longer at the time.

Does anyone have any sympathy for Truss on a human level? I do, but when I think of the way she has switched her position around on all sorts of subjects to benefit her career and how she, reportedly gloated at Cabinet members who backed Sunak as she told them they were sacked suggests that I shouldn't.

However, I can't help thinking that's her life lived now then, she's a relatively young woman, but she's going to be viewed as an embarrassment and failure for the rest of her days. Imagine how she must have felt for those few days after she became Prime Minister and how all that optimism turned to dust within a few weeks as she was humiliated and brow beaten - she brought it on herself, but how does she pick up the threads of her life from here?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'd say it was a fortnight for the Queen's death - it felt much longer at the time.

Does anyone have any sympathy for Truss on a human level? I do, but when I think of the way she has switched her position around on all sorts of subjects to benefit her career and how she, reportedly gloated at Cabinet members who backed Sunak as she told them they were sacked suggests that I shouldn't.

However, I can't help thinking that's her life lived now then, she's a relatively young woman, but she's going to be viewed as an embarrassment and failure for the rest of her days. Imagine how she must have felt for those few days after she became Prime Minister and how all that optimism turned to dust within a few weeks as she was humiliated and brow beaten - she brought it on herself, but how does she pick up the threads of her life from here?
    She's a dogmatic, smug opportunist who seemed an impostor during the leadership contest and is responsible for her own downfall. I have more sympathy for the people who will be adversely affected by her idiotic tenure as PM.

When was the last time anything got done in Parliament?

Not me. She has humiliated herself - but at the same time seems to lack any empathy or self awareness. She will surround herself for the rest of her life with a bubble of similar Trussonomics zealots who believe it was misfortune rather than gross stupidity that forced her out of office. I'm sure she will develop a victim complex and live her life in a bubble of Truss fandom - with no thought for the real victims of her right wing economic experiment and political ineptitude.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Not me. She has humiliated herself - but at the same time seems to lack any empathy or self awareness. She will surround herself for the rest of her life with a bubble of similar Trussonomics zealots who believe it was misfortune rather than gross stupidity that forced her out of office. I'm sure she will develop a victim complex and live her life in a bubble of Truss fandom - with no thought for the real victims of her right wing economic experiment and political ineptitude.
    So you're a Wefonomics zealot then?

Nope no sympathy. Like others I feel sorry for people who have had their mortgages affected and so on.
    She has made a career out of changing her mind, and doing whatever it takes to get to the top.
    Won the leadership through saying whatever it took.
    Once she got the leadership she nailed her colours to the mast. Look after the 1% who got her there, at all costs.
    She wasn't left alone to make all these decisions, she would have been surrounded by advisors. She chose to ignore it and went her own way for her own gain. Refused reports that would've told her the damage she'd do, for her own gain.
    The memes will die down and she'll still get paid £115k a year for that shambles. If she has any shred of dignity left she should refuse it.

I agree. I don't think she ever came across as a particularly nice person (in the way Rishi Sunak does) or a people person (like Boris) but yes, I do have sympathy on a human level. Of course, I hope she goes on to lead a happy life and has a successful career etc, I suspect outside of politics. Behind the scenes of course she has an extraordinary level of experience in one of the greatest offices in the world, signing numerous trade deals etc, so she will be fine.

There's longer lessons here mind. Jon says it was a right-wing economics experiment. I'm really not so sure. It was a lack of preparedness, but the idea of borrowing to splurge on reducing gas bills isn't particularly right-wing. It's the same thing that would have snared Corbynomics ultimately.

It does also create precedent that chancellors are now terrified of the bond markets - maybe thats no bad thing, but with interest rates generally rising globally it does invite a more fiscally conservative world for everyone to operate in. Again, perhaps no bad thing.

I don't think she has a post politics career as an after-dinner speaker ahead of her, unless she pays the guests to attend.

Her most lucrative option might be to release, no holds barred, tell all exposés on cabinet colleagues but I think those would definitely have to be ghost written.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    So you're a Wefonomics zealot then?
    You are really having trouble seeing the dots aren't you - let alone joining them up.

If you think the only two possible economic/political alternatives for the world are your interpretation of Klaus Schwab's evil masterplan, or Liz Truss' drive for a low tax, small state, de-regulated Singapore on the Thames with 'magic growth', you are beyond help.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I don't think she has a post politics career as an after-dinner speaker ahead of her, unless she pays the guests to attend.

Her most lucrative option might be to release, no holds barred, tell all exposés on cabinet colleagues but I think those would definitely have to be ghost written.
    Yeah agreed. I can see why people may want Johnson to speak at their event, even though I would steer very clear. But there's no market for Truss.

She is awful, although ironically it was those car crash speeches that made her reputation.

Bollocks to her

And apart from left leaning Tories who probably should be liberals ......bollocks to any Tories too

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Bollocks to her

And apart from left leaning Tories who probably should be liberals ......bollocks to any Tories too
    you're going soft