+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: VPN question

VPN question

I want to watch next month's World Cup games in New Zealand on my mobile phone but the games are only available to watch in NZ via a Sky Sports NZ subscription.
    Would it therefore be possible to use a VPN on my mobile phone to access BBC and ITV (which are ordinarily not available to access when abroad)?
    If so, which VPN would be best for the three weeks concerned?

Re: VPN question

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I want to watch next month's World Cup games in New Zealand on my mobile phone but the games are only available to watch in NZ via a Sky Sports NZ subscription.
    Would it therefore be possible to use a VPN on my mobile phone to access BBC and ITV (which are ordinarily not available to access when abroad)?
    If so, which VPN would be best for the three weeks concerned?
    I hate to be the one to tell you this, but the WC is in Qatar!

Edit: you should be fine with ExpressVPN and you can trial it first anyway.

Edit, Edit: I'm one of those paranoid people who always use a VPN anyway, for pretty much everything.
    Last edited by Citizen's Nephew; 26-10-22 at 07:01. Reason: GCHQ

Express VPN is pretty good.

Before you sign up, make sure you get a referral link (from someone who has kindly recommended it to you ahem cough cough).

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I hate to be the one to tell you this, but the WC is in Qatar!

Edit: you should be fine with ExpressVPN and you can trial it first anyway.

Edit, Edit: I'm one of those paranoid people who always use a VPN anyway, for pretty much everything.
    Cheers, CN. You silly arse

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Express VPN is pretty good.

Before you sign up, make sure you get a referral link (from someone who has kindly recommended it to you ahem cough cough).
    Terrible cough you have there, lardy.....

Go on, pm me, old fruit.

Just downloaded it and thought I would give it a go in reverse i.e. seeing if I could access NZ live TV. Sad to say that the live programmeon NZ1 was Coronation Street!

Just downloaded it and thought I would give it a go in reverse i.e. seeing if I could access NZ live TV. Sad to say that the live programmeon NZ1 was Coronation Street!
    Is Stan Ogden dead yet?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Is Stan Ogden dead yet?
    Not in NZ he isn't!

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Is Stan Ogden dead yet?
    I think so - but his string vest is still turning up at The Rovers Return unassisted.

Why not take the least complicated option and watch it in a bar, hotel or house?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Why not take the least complicated option and watch it in a bar, hotel or house?
    Because:

1. The tournament seems to be only accessible via Sky Sports NZ, a subscription channel which everyone doesn't have.
    2. Some games are early morning/late night when bars aren't necessarily open in small communities.
    3. I won't necessarily be near bars the whole time and those I may be near at any one time may not be showing the games.
    4. I will be staying in many locations and researching where games may be shown at every location would be a pain.
    5. I will probably be travelling when some of the games are on.

The VPN route is therefore the least complicated solution and which has now been solved.

Because:

1. The tournament seems to be only accessible via Sky Sports NZ, a subscription channel which everyone doesn't have.
    2. Some games are early morning/late night when bars aren't necessarily open in small communities.
    3. I won't necessarily be near bars the whole time and those I may be near at any one time may not be showing the games.
    4. I will be staying in many locations and researching where games may be shown at every location would be a pain.
    5. I will probably be travelling when some of the games are on.

The VPN route is therefore the least complicated solution and which has now been solved.
    VPN's are not great for live streaming and World Cup's tend to be universal, I remember bars opening up at 5am when I was travelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    VPN's are not great for live streaming and World Cup's tend to be universal, I remember bars opening up at 5am when I was travelling.
    I'm sure that the free trial for a month won't hurt me.

I use ExpressVPN on the phone, works for the BBC abroad every time

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    I use ExpressVPN on the phone, works for the BBC abroad every time

Tunnel bear for me, easy to use, $10 a month

Added to that bears are super adorable