+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Britain chose finance over industry, austerity over investment, and a closed economy over openness to the world.

Britain chose finance over industry, austerity over investment, and a closed economy over openness to the world.

Re: Britain chose finance over industry, austerity over investment, and a closed economy over openness to the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    “bitter, failing and nonsensical” sounds right to me.

Re: Britain chose finance over industry, austerity over investment, and a closed economy over openness to the world.

Don't understand why this article is blaming the left? Left hasn't had any power in 40+ years.

Most interesting point I thought was that working people in average did not vote for this government. It was as I expected, older retired people who are completely out of touch with the needs of the average person.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Don't understand why this article is blaming the left? Left hasn't had any power in 40+ years.

Most interesting point I thought was that working people in average did not vote for this government. It was as I expected, older retired people who are completely out of touch with the needs of the average person.
    Older, retired people gave the government an eighty seat majority? Hardly. Even if they all voted Tory to a man, it wouldn't create that sort of whitewash.
    A lot of people who don't normally vote Tory did so at the last election because:
    1. Things were going okay then, and people tend to vote with their wallets.
    2. They liked bouncy bob-along Boris, and
    3. They wanted to make sure that Brexit was actually carried out, according to the referendum.
    The fact is, a lot of working class people voted for Brexit, and then again for Boris, because they held age-old concerns about immigration. Hence, normal left wing Labour voters turned to the Tories for the reason stated - so you could argue it's their fault we're in this mess.

An interesting article clearly making some valid points. Lots of things in that article are just plain wrong however, and another example of just giving the audience what they want to believe rather than, well, the truth.

A cohort of older, middle-class, grievously nostalgic voters demanded Brexit, and they got it.

Wealthier groups typically voted Remain. Working class, or poorer housesholds overwhelmingly voted leave. A key part of his argument is simply plain wrong.

That kinda thing undermines much of the rest of it tbh

I also think it's over-stating the case quite considerably. Are we really the laughing stock of Europe? Hardly - they all have problems as bad, or worse, than ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    An excellent piece. One of the best I've read in a long while. Good writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    An excellent piece. One of the best I've read in a long while. Good writing.
    You really need to read more.

An interesting article. An economic commentary with a very obvious political slant, some of which holds true, other aspects are a bit adrift from reality.

Overall I do agree with the general tone

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    You really need to read more.

An interesting article. An economic commentary with a very obvious political slant, some of which holds true, other aspects are a bit adrift from reality.

Overall I do agree with the general tone
    Bit condescending so early on a Friday morning! Have a muffin and another coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Bit condescending so early on a Friday morning! Have a muffin and another coffee.
    it was sarcasm old fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    it was sarcasm old fruit.

🍩☕️🤙😄