+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Three City XIs, how many of our current squad would make the first team?

Three City XIs, how many of our current squad would make the first team?

Three squads from more recent times. How many players from our current squad would replace any of these in the first team?

I reckon Collins is an upgrade on all of our left backs. O'Dowda maybe as a replacement for Burke or Noone.
    Otherwise, I'm clutching at straws a bit.

Dave Jones 2009/10

Marshall
    McNaughton Hudson Gerrard Kennedy
    Burke Rae Ledley Whittingham
    Chopra Bothroyd

Malky Mackay 2012/13

Marshall
    Connolly Hudson Turner Taylor
    Noone Kim Gunnarsson Whittingham Bellamy
    Helgarsson

Neil Warnock 2017/18

Etheridge
    Manga Morrison Bamba Bennett
    Paterson Gunnarsson Ralls
    Mendez-Laing Zohore Hoilett

Re: Three City XIs, how many of our current squad would make the first team?

Wintle or Rinomhota replace Paterson imo

I'd have Romeo/Ng ahead of Peltier/Manga under Warnock

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Wintle or Rinomhota replace Paterson imo
    If either could chip in with almost a goal per 3 games, then great.

Romeo for Connolly

Kipre for Gerrard

Possibly Allsop for Etheridge in 17/18 especially when I remember Etheridge's kicking. A very small sample size of matches to judge him on, but Jamilu Collins might get into all of those teams.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Kipre for Gerrard

Jamilu Collins definitely gets in even based only on the little I've seen.

Imagine Etheridge in this team playing with an active football playing keeper too. Think that might finish off a few of our fans.

Pick any if the current left backs over Bennett

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Kipre for Gerrard
    Possibly Turner as well.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Three squads from more recent times. How many players from our current squad would replace any of these in the first team?

I reckon Collins is an upgrade on all of our left backs. O'Dowda maybe as a replacement for Burke or Noone.
    Otherwise, I'm clutching at straws a bit.

Dave Jones 2009/10

Marshall
    McNaughton Hudson Gerrard Kennedy
    Burke Rae Ledley Whittingham
    Chopra Bothroyd

Malky Mackay 2012/13

Marshall
    Connolly Hudson Turner Taylor
    Noone Kim Gunnarsson Whittingham Bellamy
    Helgarsson

Neil Warnock 2017/18

Etheridge
    Manga Morrison Bamba Bennett
    Paterson Gunnarsson Ralls
    Mendez-Laing Zohore Hoilett
    Some good teams there would love to add Chopra and Bothroyd (at their prime) to this team and it would take us from relegation potential to automatic promotion candidates!

Which version of NML are we getting - the one who burst on the scene out of nowhere in the first half of the season and was unplayable, or the one the second half of the season who was more of a passenger as we ground out results? If it’s the latter I’d have O’Dowda in over him.

Seeing those teams depresses me tbh. I agree with Bob over Etheridge and that's it as far as I'm concerned. O'Dowda is a good player and so is Wintle but they're not players I would go that extra mile to watch and they're not playing in a functioning, solid team.

Absolutely criminal that Dave Jones didn't get us promoted with the money he was spending on wages

It is not only whether the current players would make those sides better but whether the players in those sides would make today's players better

For me odowda Kipre Collins Ng and wintle would all add something to those sides

Lynex would have to be in there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    If either could chip in with almost a goal per 3 games, then great.
    If Paterson can...

Joe Ralls also managed several goals in that team. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that Rinomhota could play Paterson's role

A decent number of those Paterson goals came from being a make shift striker didn’t they? He fit the style that team played but for an all round midfielder I’d take Wintle or Rino every time.

I think Ralls Rino and Wintle would replace Gavin Rae in the Jones team.

Ng and Kipre before Gerrard and Turner.