+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Wales considering renaming as Cymru

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wales considering renaming as Cymru

Thoughts? Think they'd still be Wales to me. https://www.theguardian.com/football...-world-cup-faw

Re: Wales considering renaming as Cymru

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Thoughts? Think they'd still be Wales to me. https://www.theguardian.com/football...-world-cup-faw
    So change the name of the national team, in a country where only about 30% of the population speak the language. Very clever. Almost as idiotic as changing all the road signs.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    So change the name of the national team, in a country where only about 30% of the population speak the language. Very clever. Almost as idiotic as changing all the road signs.
    30? No where near, 10% maybe

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    30? No where near, 10% maybe
    dml1954 might be right for once!

The (2011) census determined that 18.56% of the population could speak Welsh and 14.57% could speak, read and write in the language.

The most recent Annual Population Survey (June 2020), as conducted by the Office for National Statistics, suggests that 28.6% of people in Wales aged three and over were able to speak Welsh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Welsh-speakers

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    dml1954 might be right for once!

The (2011) census determined that 18.56% of the population could speak Welsh and 14.57% could speak, read and write in the language.

The most recent Annual Population Survey (June 2020), as conducted by the Office for National Statistics, suggests that 28.6% of people in Wales aged three and over were able to speak Welsh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Welsh-speakers
    Dml may be even closer than that! 29.7% as of year ending June 2022. Seems a little high to me tbh

https://gov.wales/welsh-language-dat...2021-june-2022

My thoughts are no thank you , stick with Wales

Not comparable at all - why is it idiotic to be able to conduct your life in the language of your birthplace that you were raised with and understand and use daily?

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Not comparable at all - why is it idiotic to be able to conduct your life in the language of your birthplace that you were raised with and understand and use daily?
    Because 70% of the population cant speak Welsh. It is wrong to pander to the minority and therefore marginalise the majority. It is about time that the majority stood up to be counted against the vociferous and sometimes fanatical minority who basically run the country. Just because someone doesn’t speak the language doesn't make them any less Welsh or important.

Because 70% of the population cant speak Welsh. It is wrong to pander to the minority and therefore marginalise the majority. It is about time that the majority stood up to be counted against the vociferous and sometimes fanatical minority who basically run the country. Just because someone doesn’t speak the language doesn't make them any less Welsh or important.
    Why is it wrong to try and keep alive a language that was almost wiped out by our neighbours?

Its hardly a hassle for anyone, you can call it Wales, others can call it Cymru. It's not as if we have many songs involving the words.

Why people are getting their knickers in a twist I don't know.

There have been a few discussions on here where there is a general agreement that the Welsh support and authorities seem to be amplifying slightly more nationalistic tones than they used to. Some support that, others dont. Personally, I think that's a dangerous road to go down and it seems Noel Moody may be behind some of it? It's notable that the Rep of Ireland did used to be known as Ireland.

I don't support this idea. Wales is what the majority of people in Wales refer to their country as. It's also how the rest of the world know us (if they know us at all)

I would feel less connection as a result to be honest. It's not comparable to our rebrand, but it is a rebrand nonetheless and seems a strange move to rock a steady boat.

I think it might appeal to the cracac in pontcanna

And those yes Cymru lot

But when Bryn Terfel sings the national anthem and says the blood of caradog flows through him then when asked by the BBC who are his sporting heroes he says fecking man United I say what a load of bollocks all this fake nationalism is

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

And those yes Cymru lot

But when Bryn Terfel sings the national anthem and says the blood of caradog flows through him then when asked by the BBC who are his sporting heroes he says fecking man United I say what a load of bollocks all this fake nationalism is
    As someone said elsewhere, City 1st, Wales 2nd. If they do this I'll support England instead.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    As someone said elsewhere, City 1st, Wales 2nd. If they do this I'll support England instead.
    🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

As the nomenclature 'Wales' is cognate with Wallachia (part of Romania), Wallonia (Southern Belgium) and Cornwall and effectively means 'stranger' or 'foreigner', it makes sense to adopt the name bestowed upon us by our own culture rather than a description foisted upon us by those not from these islands.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

And those yes Cymru lot

You are the biggest Uncle Tom of the lot, boot licker

Anyway, Caerdydd are home on Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Anyway, Caerdydd are home on Wednesday
    Some of our esteemed forum members have been referring to our Western cousins by their Welsh name of Abertawe for years

Well ahead of the curve on here

I don't get the reference to Turkey. Are they saying the Turks, officially and unofficially used to call themselves Turkey?

There's very different reasons why a Welsh person would happily call the team "Wales". For me it's being as I don't speak Welsh and the language is as foreign to me as Turkish. Rightly or wrongly.

Why confuse the international population anymore? Most barely know Wales as it is.

Why change something that is not Broken.

On English speaking broadcasters Sky/BT/BBC we can be referred to as Wales
    and on S4C or any other Welsh publications they can call us Cymru.

Seems to work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I don't get the reference to Turkey. Are they saying the Turks, officially and unofficially used to call themselves Turkey?

There's very different reasons why a Welsh person would happily call the team "Wales". For me it's being as I don't speak Welsh and the language is as foreign to me as Turkish. Rightly or wrongly.

Why confuse the international population anymore? Most barely know Wales as it is.
    Ironic as the etymology of Wales is old English for foreigner, much the same as Walloon is in Belgium. Wales came about because in Old Saxon, these lands were Wealas - the plural for foreigners.

Doesn’t bother me in the slightest. Would help promote the Welsh (Cymru) language and is the Welsh word for Wales so not a rebrand really.

Got to be fishing here.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Got to be fishing here.
    Not really. Turn on the radio and there's endless public service announcements in Welsh. Welsh is now above English on all new road signage etc. Texts from the NHS to my phone are in Welsh, followed by English. Parking machines are in Welsh by default, etc. English comes 2nd in everything. Wales is run by Welsh bigots. If that spreads to their football team they can stuff it.

Not really. Turn on the radio and there's endless public service announcements in Welsh. Welsh is now above English on all new road signage etc. Texts from the NHS to my phone are in Welsh, followed by English. Parking machines are in Welsh by default, etc. English comes 2nd in everything. Wales is run by Welsh bigots. If that spreads to their football team they can stuff it.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Got to be fishing here.
    Nah, I don't think anything will ever top the Welsh language in its ability to piss off some on here. Quite sad really.

I think this thread has hit all the classics already and it's barely been up for two hours.