+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wales considering renaming as Cymru

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Wales considering renaming as Cymru

I don't get the reference to Turkey. Are they saying the Turks, officially and unofficially used to call themselves Turkey?

There's very different reasons why a Welsh person would happily call the team "Wales". For me it's being as I don't speak Welsh and the language is as foreign to me as Turkish. Rightly or wrongly.

Why confuse the international population anymore? Most barely know Wales as it is.

Why change something that is not Broken.

On English speaking broadcasters Sky/BT/BBC we can be referred to as Wales
    and on S4C or any other Welsh publications they can call us Cymru.

Seems to work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I don't get the reference to Turkey. Are they saying the Turks, officially and unofficially used to call themselves Turkey?

There's very different reasons why a Welsh person would happily call the team "Wales". For me it's being as I don't speak Welsh and the language is as foreign to me as Turkish. Rightly or wrongly.

Why confuse the international population anymore? Most barely know Wales as it is.
    Ironic as the etymology of Wales is old English for foreigner, much the same as Walloon is in Belgium. Wales came about because in Old Saxon, these lands were Wealas - the plural for foreigners.