+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: When Will The Left ?

Re: When Will The Left ?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Well, not me. The most recent comment I made on all that is that if there was an election tomorrow I would vote Labour. I've voted for the red lot more than the blue and voted for one of each in the last Cardiff council elections.

What is frustrating is when for some people, EVERYTHING is the fault of the government. It just isn't so.

Just like not EVERYTHING in Cardiff is the fault of Cardiff Council. Not EVERYTHING in Wales is the fault of the Welsh Govt etc etc etc.

It's no different to people who think the glory days are guaranteed if we just sack the manager.
    Nonsense

The tory party and its government have been a car crash on acid and the last few months have seen them ignore
    the country to try and sort out their own mess

You have been a constant source of support for the shysters

It would irk less if you just came clean but pretending to be a soft tory is a joke .

The only way I would believe you in your claim you don't always vote Tory would be to vote labour , Liberal, Plaid or green in a proxy vote on your behalf

And even then I would check ✔

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I could name one whose loyalty to a particular party will override anything else.😀
    Keep it to yourself

For my two-pennyworth.

In terms of the challenges facing this country, asylum seeking boat people are more noise than heat. Offered a choice of key issues in polls, immigration gets about 20% of top three choices. At the time of the Brexit referendum it was double that.

It certainly triggers the 20%, including a few on here. There is also a shifting narrative. Those who have suddenly found the Albanians in the last months as the latest heat source would have more credibility if they were not equally as vociferous about the "genuine" asylum seekers before Tirana apparently emptied.

That said, for me, the Albanian surge smells. A mature process should be able to separate genuine asylum seekers, chancing economic migrants and illegal immigrants. The Albanian issue mobs them all together.

I understand the argument that about 80% of female Albanians are granted asylum because of their risk of or actual sexual exploitation. What I can't quite rationalise is how they sought to escape sexual exploitation by putting themselves in the hands of people traffickers, who would be the most likely people to exploit them. You have to wonder what happens to these poor women once they are granted asylum when the likely contacts in the UK are possibly the people who shuttled them here in the first place!

There is a real risk that the genuine asylum seekers looking at the UK, where we take a small burden compared with most of the remaining EU, are more vulnerable because of the posture of the UK government and people exploiting Albanians, for whatever reason!

No, my position on the Rwanda plan is that people offered no alternative and that was broadly rooted (I argued) that people didn't seem to have a big issue with what was going on.

Read this:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63488070

Anyone saying several months ago what is now being reported as fact would have been chastised by many on the left. Albanian gangs? People smugglers? Emptied Albanian towns etc? The default argument against that was that these are desperate people and this is heartless etc.

It's good you say people should be sent back if they fail asylum claims, but this still costs us a lot of money, it takes years and often because of the same lawyers who are desperate to prevent serious foreign criminals being deported.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59243086

Anyway, finally it seems people appreciate whats going on. Shame that wasn't acknowledged months ago
    what's wrong with settling them here?

I don't use the term 'lefty lawyers' constantly.

But there are plenty of law firms looking to unpick any issue related to immigration, whether it's trying to prevent Jamaican criminals being deported to encouraging anyone to claim asylum in the UK.

And I do think that's irresponsible and not making the country a better place

This is the guy behing Cranbrook Legal who helped keep a murderer in the UK. Brilliant, thanks for that mate.
    His twitter is an A-Z of left-wing causes. No doubt he does very well out of it all.
    https://twitter.com/AmerZaman13
    one of the greatest things we have in our democracy is due process, and our government cannot just treat the people under its jurisdiction in any old manner. If this means that everyone has a legal route to redress then so be it.

Thats nice of you Peter.

Not everyone agrees with you or Eric you know. It's important to have different opinions.

I do think there is a collective naivity on the left about what has happened in the English channel this summer, yes.

And when have I ever referenced a piece of economic data that is inaccurate about Europe? I'm not sure you have ever in fact disagreed with me on that - indeed, you wouldn't be disagreeing with me, you would be disagreeing with eurostat in most cases.
    or maybe the left understand the situation just as well as you do, but they have a difference of opinion on how to solve the issue and just how serious theissue is to the UK.

You're all about differing opinions - amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    or maybe the left understand the situation just as well as you do, but they have a difference of opinion on how to solve the issue and just how serious theissue is to the UK.

You're all about differing opinions - amirite?
    Of course, that goes without saying.

If someone says something on an internet forum it is an opinion, not a statement of fact.

Nonetheless, I do think there was a naivity. Hiding behind the 'everyone is a desperate refugee' etc etc does create a culture where people can (and seemingly have) exploited it.

Of course, 'the right' can be excused of being heartless too. But on this occasion I think there has been a naivity.

Of course, that goes without saying.

If someone says something on an internet forum it is an opinion, not a statement of fact.

Nonetheless, I do think there was a naivity. Hiding behind the 'everyone is a desperate refugee' etc etc does create a culture where people can (and seemingly have) exploited it.

Of course, 'the right' can be excused of being heartless too. But on this occasion I think there has been a naivity.
    Or the left see lots of vote potential?? Let's hope there desire and motivations are right sadly I have my doubts , I do think they see votes in metropolitan high density areas .. not easy to find that is so .

Saw some dubious material posted in a recent by election with a large Muslim population, of Boris shaking hands with the Indian prime minister ( why was that ? )

one of the greatest things we have in our democracy is due process, and our government cannot just treat the people under its jurisdiction in any old manner. If this means that everyone has a legal route to redress then so be it.
    Of course. But we also have bad laws and we have poor interpretations of the law. And if it means almost anyone can claim asylum, the process takes a great many months, it can be exploited by criminal gangs and is all funded by a taxpayer, many of whom can barely feed themselves, then people have a right to be miffed about the system.

This stock answer of 'its the law, thats fine!' is not what people say when it goes the other way.

I think sooner or later politicians will wake up to the realisation that the solutions (and maybe only with limited results) to this problem are only found with global cooperation. I don't think any one country can both effectively and humanely resolve the issue.

I think it would also be a massive help if politicians of all hues stop treating this issue as a political football and start levelling up with people and collectively begin a process of public education with the aim of dampening the hostile discourse.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Or the left see lots of vote potential?? Let's hope there desire and motivations are right sadly I have my doubts , I do think they see votes in metropolitan high density areas .. not easy to find that is so .

Saw some dubious material posted in a recent by election with a large Muslim population, of Boris shaking hands with the Indian prime minister ( why was that ? )
    I think it's more a case of being absolutely blindsided by the whole identity politics / race debate, so any criticism of things like immigration levels or asylum processes is seen as racism.

Now don't get me wrong, often the criticism is based on that, which is plainly wrong, but it's also possible that the processes in place, no matter how sensitive, can break down, fail, be exploited or abused etc.

It's similar to the mermaids charity, where any criticism was labelled as transphobic etc, and that provides cover for all kinds of bad processes. Likewise, grooming gangs where people kept quiet for fear of being labelled racist.

We need to move on from this kind of thing, it's a real curse IMO

any evidence of what appears at first sight to be a wild statement?
    You must be the only person not currently aware of this. Type 'Albanian drug gangs UK' into Google. The list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude Blue View Post
    He's probably been watching "Gangs of London"
    Nope - its common knowledge.

NATALIE ELPHICKE: Asks When will The Left admit this is no refugee crisis... but simply illegal immigration ..

It's a cracking question ..
    What can happen when the right start culture wars about immigration.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-63526659

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    What can happen when the right start culture wars about immigration.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-63526659
    No thats what happens when you ignore issues Bob.

No thats what happens when you ignore issues Bob.
    No, that’s what happen when immigration is treated in the manner the UK Government, certain newspapers and broadcast outlets treat it. Immigration only becomes an issue when right wing politicians and media people want it to be.

Once again, you just lazily equate anyone with a different opinion to yours on this subject with being in favour of an immigration freefor all. Also, before you ask, I don’t have an easy answer to the problem because there isn’t one, but what I do know is that expensive gimmicks like the Rwanda one are not the answer, they’re merely weapons in the culture war theGovernment wants to fight.

No, that’s what happen when immigration is treated in the manner the UK Government, certain newspapers and broadcast outlets treat it. Immigration only becomes an issue when right wing politicians and media people want it to be.

Once again, you just lazily equate anyone with a different opinion to yours on this subject with being in favour of an immigration freefor all. Also, before you ask, I don’t have an easy answer to the problem because there isn’t one, but what I do know is that expensive gimmicks like the Rwanda one are not the answer, they’re merely weapons in the culture war theGovernment wants to fight.
    I'm not sure what you are saying?

You are implying that some terrorist acted because 'the right' made a 'culture war' of this. I would cast doubt on that. I'd say it happened because nothing has been done about what now seems to be a mass exploitation of the system.

What you are saying is no different to people who equated the murder of Davied Amess with Angela Rayner calling people 'Tory Scum' at the conference a short while before.

These things are far more complex as you know. You can't just label everything a 'culture war'. As I said before, if anyone is guilty of that, it's those that hide behind accusations of racism / xenophobia etc as a means to do nothing about it.

We've all known for months and months that something was going wrong. Was Rwanda an expensive gimmick? I dunno. Maybe it would have served as a real deterrent and not led to costs being as high as £7m a day. Who knows. That was it's intention - to smash the business model, not to send thousands to Rwanda, but to prevent there being thousands of dubious claims in the first place. What was she labelled for it? Evil bitch and the rest, with no alternatives given.

It's that policy vacuum that gives extremists (which DO exist unfortunately) the space to operate.

And immigration was an issue for years and years - again, people ignored it. Hoped it would go away, and then Brexit happened.

We cannot keep ignoring issues and hope they disappear. The current situation has been obvious since last summer at least.

Well said. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, we had the same rhetoric from the right regarding the unemployed, disabled and vulnerable for years which caused untold damage to the lives of people within those demographics.

You are implying that some terrorist acted because 'the right' made a 'culture war' of this. I would cast doubt on that. I'd say it happened because nothing has been done about what now seems to be a mass exploitation of the system.

What you are saying is no different to people who equated the murder of Davied Amess with Angela Rayner calling people 'Tory Scum' at the conference a short while before.

These things are far more complex as you know. You can't just label everything a 'culture war'. As I said before, if anyone is guilty of that, it's those that hide behind accusations of racism / xenophobia etc as a means to do nothing about it.

We've all known for months and months that something was going wrong. Was Rwanda an expensive gimmick? I dunno. Maybe it would have served as a real deterrent and not led to costs being as high as £7m a day. Who knows. That was it's intention - to smash the business model, not to send thousands to Rwanda, but to prevent there being thousands of dubious claims in the first place. What was she labelled for it? Evil bitch and the rest, with no alternatives given.

It's that policy vacuum that gives extremists (which DO exist unfortunately) the space to operate.

And immigration was an issue for years and years - again, people ignored it. Hoped it would go away, and then Brexit happened.

We cannot keep ignoring issues and hope they disappear. The current situation has been obvious since last summer at least.
    I'd be interested to know why the influx of these foreign nationals troubles you so. How do you think it would affect you adversely?

Have you read some of the stuff the guy put online? It struck me that he was very poorly educated, likely had additional untreated needs, lonely (/living in his own world), he is absolutely the perfect target to be 'radicalised' and the right wing press have stepped over the line many times in that regard, stoking up hate around this issue over the years. He certainly wasn't somebody making an informed rational decision who decided one day 'not enough is being done to address this issue'.

frontpage.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Have you read some of the stuff the guy put online? It struck me that he was very poorly educated, likely had additional untreated needs, lonely (/living in his own world), he is absolutely the perfect target to be 'radicalised' and the right wing press have stepped over the line many times in that regard, stoking up hate around this issue over the years. He certainly wasn't somebody making an informed rational decision who decided one day 'not enough is being done to address this issue'.

frontpage.jpg
    Why bother debating. This is the person who said gammon was a racist term, GB news isn't right wing and that nobody in the UK wants to stop all immigration.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Why bother debating. This is the person who said gammon was a racist term, GB news isn't right wing and that nobody in the UK wants to stop all immigration.
    All of which highlights the position that he comes at these arguments from. He seems to think that you have to have people strutting about in uniforms with swastikas on them before they qualify as being far right.

Asylum seekers or thier sons have bombed for decades ,the dead relatives of those atrocities will tell you that .. bugger all to do with government rhetoric its religious extremists same in France .

Thousands of Albanians have arrived (young nen ) they are known for drug and gang related offences in all the big cities.. some even traffic young children ..into dreadful conditions and use..

Why we should apologise to illegal folk arriving and not getting automatic hotel stays is maddness..

We should set up a support system and all those sympathetic on those board who have a spare room step forward instead of throwing out defence statements because they hate the Tories and think its a vote winner ..

Two things that should not be politised NHS and Immigration.

Bet Sir Bier enjoys this bashing over these issues as his end game is equally poor .. to use it as a tool .. asit is people's lives at risk.. and our country when the next attrocity happens.

Asylum seekers or thier sons have bombed for decades ,the dead relatives of those atrocities will tell you that .. bugger all to do with government rhetoric its religious extremists same in France .

Thousands of Albanians have arrived (young nen ) they are known for drug and gang related offences in all the big cities.. some even traffic young children ..into dreadful conditions and use..

Why we should apologise to illegal folk arriving and not getting automatic hotel stays is maddness..

We should set up a support system and all those sympathetic on those board who have a spare room step forward instead of throwing out defence statements because they hate the Tories and think its a vote winner ..

Two things that should not be politised NHS and Immigration.

Bet Sir Bier enjoys this bashing over these issues as his end game is equally poor .. to use it as a tool .. asit is people's lives at risk.. and our country when the next attrocity happens.
    Can anyone translate into English?