+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric Cars are the future…..my arse !!

Electric Cars are the future…..my arse !!

My sister who is definitely in the NIMBY brigade has been banging on to me for the last few years to buy an electric car
    I actually borrowed hers which she actually leases at the cost of a family mortgage may I add for the weekend just gone
    From my own experience and I couldn’t have done anything differently,why anyone would bother buying one is a total mystery.
    The biggest negative is pulling into the services with your range showing 30 miles and there’s only two charging points
    Both are in use and there’s two cars waiting in front of you
    To top it off you’re only allowed a two hour stay or get a parking eye fine - madness!!
    A run to the same destination in my diesel would normally take two and a half hours
    It took just over six hours and a load of STRESS plus I’m waiting for my sister to pull me on her having received a fine
    The other irritation is pulling into a garage and the charging point is out of order which happened twice plus not knowing exactly how much the charge has cost you because you need to retrieve information from the app
    The other annoyance were pedestrians walking into the road - I’m not blaming them because you cannot hear any engine noise
    The car was beautiful and great to drive an experience I’m glad I had
    But buy one?
    Not a chance
    Actually doing a bit of google research if you are one of those “keep your carbon footprint down and all that” to manufacture an EV. Is worse environmentally.
    I’m sure she said she’s paying Ł1100 a month on a two year lease
    I think sitting on top of a battery has done some damage to her brain lol 😂
    Definitely a NO from me for Electric being the thing of the future 🤔😂

Re: Electric Cars are the future…..my arse !!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    My sister who is definitely in the NIMBY brigade has been banging on to me for the last few years to buy an electric car
    I actually borrowed hers which she actually leases at the cost of a family mortgage may I add for the weekend just gone
    From my own experience and I couldn’t have done anything differently,why anyone would bother buying one is a total mystery.
    The biggest negative is pulling into the services with your range showing 30 miles and there’s only two charging points
    To top it off you’re only allowed a two hour stay or get a parking eye fine - madness!!
    A run to the same destination in my diesel would normally take two and a half hours
    It took just over six hours and a load of STRESS plus I’m waiting for my sister to pull me on her having received a fine
    The other irritation is pulling into a garage and the charging point is out of order which happened twice plus not knowing exactly how much the charge has cost you because you need to retrieve information from the app
    The other annoyance were pedestrians walking into the road - I’m not blaming them because you cannot hear any engine noise
    But buy one?
    Not a chance
    Actually doing a bit of google research if you are one of those “keep your carbon footprint down and all that” to manufacture an EV. Is worse environmentally.
    I think sitting on top of a battery has done some damage to her brain lol 😂
    Definitely a NO from me for Electric being the thing of the future 🤔😂
    I've always wondered why electric cars don't do battery swaps instead of charging.

Nio produces electric cars and battery swap infrastructure in China which seems pretty good -
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oTXptUuKGrc

One thing for sure, if and when electric cars become 'mainstream', they won't be any cheaper to run than diesel/unleaded. The loss of revenue from fuel tax will ensure whopping taxes on new electric vehicles..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    One thing for sure, if and when electric cars become 'mainstream', they won't be any cheaper to run than diesel/unleaded. The loss of revenue from fuel tax will ensure whopping taxes on new electric vehicles..
    How are you going to recharge all of these electric cars with with windmills and solar panels? I think the simple answer is most people won't have cars.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    no, it's a bit more complicated than that.
    petrol products are usually heavily taxed partially for their environmental impact, but mostly because for most countries that are net importers of oil, every time you fill up your tank it is money that is leaving the country probably to go into the middle east.
    if it's an electric car, running off energy generated in the UK, the money stays washing around the UK economy, and therefore it'll make its way to the tax man in one way or another anyway before long.

But buy one?
    Not a chance
    I think sitting on top of a battery has done some damage to her brain lol ��
    Definitely a NO from me for Electric being the thing of the future ����
    so basically you didn't make sure you had enough charge before you set off?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    no, it's a bit more complicated than that.
    petrol products are usually heavily taxed partially for their environmental impact, but mostly because for most countries that are net importers of oil, every time you fill up your tank it is money that is leaving the country probably to go into the middle east.
    if it's an electric car, running off energy generated in the UK, the money stays washing around the UK economy, and therefore it'll make its way to the tax man in one way or another anyway before long.
    Interesting you make a good point!

They do seem a pain at the moment. We've got fleet lease company cars in work and a few have gone full electric as its quite a saving on personal company car tax, not sure what the cost to actually lease them mind is as the company covers it.
    Mines a hybrid which is great as the petrol is used mostly for motorways but around town and local use the cars hybrid system kicks in and uses hardly any fuel. Plus i don't have to mess around with charging stations and all that jazz.
    I personally feel we're a good 2 decades away for everything to be fully electric as the infrastructure we have just dosn't support it. It will get there eventually but currently the cost of the vehicles and charging issues I would have to agree, balls to that.....for now.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    They do seem a pain at the moment. We've got fleet lease company cars in work and a few have gone full electric as its quite a saving on personal company car tax, not sure what the cost to actually lease them mind is as the company covers it.
    Mines a hybrid which is great as the petrol is used mostly for motorways but around town and local use the cars hybrid system kicks in and uses hardly any fuel. Plus i don't have to mess around with charging stations and all that jazz.
    I personally feel we're a good 2 decades away for everything to be fully electric as the infrastructure we have just dosn't support it. It will get there eventually but currently the cost of the vehicles and charging issues I would have to agree, balls to that.....for now.
    With this cost of living crisis, surely it will be delayed, can most countries afford to make the changes required by 2030?

RJK's point above is a good one mind, the quicker we can stop being held to ranson by the OPEC countries the better!

FAO RJK
    Soz don’t know how to highlight captions

No my sister made sure the car was full of charge when I collected it
    She said range is approximately 300 miles but that’s changeable depending on how fast you drive and air conditioning etc
    Thing was not being used to driving an EV I didn’t want to go too far without topping back up
    When range got to 40-60 miles I was conscious of looking for a garage
    Half an hour plugged in would give up to 80% charge but this was only at certain manufacturers points
    Others would take longer
    Was all a bit confusing tbh
    Also I didn’t have the charger at home that she does which actually takes 13 hours to charge to 100 %
    All a bit much
    EV’s are definitely OFF my shopping list
    To much hassle

FAO RJK
    Soz don’t know how to highlight captions

No my sister made sure the car was full of charge when I collected it
    She said range is approximately 300 miles but that’s changeable depending on how fast you drive and air conditioning etc
    Thing was not being used to driving an EV I didn’t want to go too far without topping back up
    When range got to 40-60 miles I was conscious of looking for a garage
    Half an hour plugged in would give up to 80% charge but this was only at certain manufacturers points
    Others would take longer
    Was all a bit confusing tbh
    Also I didn’t have the charger at home that she does which actually takes 13 hours to charge to 100 %
    All a bit much
    EV’s are definitely OFF my shopping list
    To much hassle
    Mine too, considered a Tesla on salary sacrifice, not worth it , glad I’ve bought a nice petrol speedster … 0-60 4.8 secs

Electric cars are in their infancy. In 2011 there were 50k sold worldwide, in 2021 that number rose to nearly 7 million.

As they are, EVs aren’t for the average customer, they’re the premium product. The same way that in the 1930’s your average person wasn’t buying a motor vehicle but now in the UK there’s over 30million registered cars. That’s about 1 car for every 2 people.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Electric cars are in their infancy. In 2011 there were 50k sold worldwide, in 2021 that number rose to nearly 7 million.

As they are, EVs aren’t for the average customer, they’re the premium product. The same way that in the 1930’s your average person wasn’t buying a motor vehicle but now in the UK there’s over 30million registered cars. That’s about 1 car for every 2 people.
    They need to have two batteries within the vehicle, with one charging as you drive. Electric charge points are no good.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    They need to have two batteries within the vehicle, with one charging as you drive. Electric charge points are no good.

Why isn’t that a viable option?
    They will make the batteries smaller. It’s not new tech, it’s been around since the 30’s

How much green belt will be used to accommodate mass usage charge points , not viable

Why isn’t that a viable option?
    They will make the batteries smaller. It’s not new tech, it’s been around since the 30’s

How much green belt will be used to accommodate mass usage charge points , not viable
    Batteries are heavy and big. As technology advances they’ll get lighter and smaller and more efficient. Either to a point where having 2 batteries will be a viable solution or the batteries will be good enough not to require a second one.

Mainstream consumer electric cars are about a decade old. Regular cars are over a century old.

its ok sunny the leader of the free world just wants a little more time 3035 to be precise

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Batteries are heavy and big. As technology advances they’ll get lighter and smaller and more efficient. Either to a point where having 2 batteries will be a viable solution or the batteries will be good enough not to require a second one.

Mainstream consumer electric cars are about a decade old. Regular cars are over a century old.
    Anybody know why they got rid of the electric tram system within Cardiff over 50:years ago

Following on from the original thread , before electric cars become mainstream they have to decarbonise the National Grid first , which kind of delays things , I know that from meetings I’ve held.

https://www.nationalgrid.com/respons...sing-transport

They may need longer than 2035

What a bizarre thing to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    What a bizarre thing to say.
    Have a think about how they are going to have to construct massive charging areas using the current system , it’s not viable unless they undertake huge changes in infrastructure…. Underground cables etc

Dickhead, clearly you know fcuk all Cyril

Have a think about how they are going to have to construct massive charging areas using the current system , it’s not viable unless they undertake huge changes in infrastructure…. Underground cables etc

Dickhead, clearly you know fcuk all Cyril

Further decarbonisation costs …. And this is what they are telling you so you can guarantee it will be double the cost / time
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63514562

so what's charging the second battery while you are driving?

so what's charging the second battery while you are driving?
    Hybrid Charge within the vehicle

Hybrid Charge within the vehicle
    so you're running a petrol engine to charge one battery while using the other one to drive the car?!
    I'm not sure you've thought this through

so you're running a petrol engine to charge one battery while using the other one to drive the car?!
    I'm not sure you've thought this through
    I have indeed , no petrol involved, hybrid as in two separate power generators charging at different times one for output one for input

If you don’t think this is feasible have a day off

The additional power source will be self generating off each source

It’s only a matter of time as to when the battery is half the size ( saving energy, weight tyre wear etc) with twice or three times the distance