+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Richard Osman comment about the far right

Re: Richard Osman comment about the far right

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I think you are overthinking this.

I don't really have strong opinions on it - I just think that most elections are won by who occupies the centre ground because most advanced western countries are generally stable (ish!) and desire progress with stability - ie, some balance, ie, broadly centrist positions.

Referendums are, and should, be used sparingly, but thats not related to the general position of the British public I don't think.

I thought that was a fairly common opinion tbh!
    It used to be fairly common opinion that the earth was flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    It used to be fairly common opinion that the earth was flat.
    Nothing ever fits perfectly, but are British elections not usually won from the centre then?

Nothing ever fits perfectly, but are British elections not usually won from the centre then?
    The whole system is broken and a lie and has to re-booted. I’ve taken part in party politics and elections and was conditioned for decades. Not any more. We need the best people to run government, the country and support and protect its citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    The whole system is broken and a lie and has to re-booted. I’ve taken part in party politics and elections and was conditioned for decades. Not any more. We need the best people to run government, the country and support and protect its citizens.
    Yeah I have some sympathy for that argument, but again, I'd say it's different to a general opinion that broadly speaking British (and most other) voters want something broadly centrist.

More specifically I'd say most want to flip between centre-left and centre-right govts every 10 years or so

AZ you know very well that the term 'far-right' is not applied in general discussions on the economy or in fiscal terms. 'Far right' parties refers almost exclusively to their social policies. France's National Rally, Italy's Brothers of Italy or any other party labelled far-right will not be on the extreme liberal wing of economic theory - more likely the opposite.

If you looked at a party like the BNP, their economic policies are all about market intervention, giving workers stakes in the businesses, rhetoric against bankers etc. That stuff would typically be considered left-wing.

The left-right scale just doesn't really fit comfortably on the economic spectrum.
    That’s the thing with far right rhetoric, they never gain power (until Truss in a coup) and mix their toxic messages with ‘lefty’ economic phrases that entice the working class into their web, just like Brexit.

Doesn't it? It probably means the median point of opinion is fairly centrist.
    Which is totally meaningless.

If we could change the voting system we could keep the right wing tory twats out for ever

OK so PR would lead to a few bnp type mps being elected but they could easily be put in a box

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Which is totally meaningless.
    I totally agree with you. I'd argue that the application of median measurement to voting on non single-issues is even worse as there are neither single +ves or -ve constants. Everything is variable.

Means and medians are really bad tools for making decisions about massive outliers in people's behaviours, thinking and emotions and politics.