+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Massive games you’ve missed.

Massive games you’ve missed.

Both of mine are FA Cup related, I didn’t make Leeds at home due to a “relationship breakdown” with a close family member, no further details on that one.

The far worse story is the FA cup final when I got on the coach at the Muni, was so physically unwell from the amount of alcohol I was drinking at the time, that I had to get off at the lights at the end of City Rd and go home. Horrific, and another experience that alcohol took away from me.

Re: Massive games you’ve missed.

I missed the League Cup final because I was in a cold, wet ditch somewhere outside Aldershot playing soldiers.

I also missed the Man City 3-2 game because I was in Afghanistan.

Mercifully, they posted me to Cyprus during the Russell Slade years.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    I missed the League Cup final because I was in a cold, wet ditch somewhere outside Aldershot playing soldiers.

Nightmare (apart from the Slade reprieve)

I also missed any decent red promotion games due to boycotting although that doesn’t bother me at all. The FA cup ones still annoy me.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Both of mine are FA Cup related, I didn’t make Leeds at home due to a “relationship breakdown” with a close family member, no further details on that one.

The far worse story is the FA cup final when I got on the coach at the Muni, was so physically unwell from the amount of alcohol I was drinking at the time, that I had to get off at the lights at the end of City Rd and go home. Horrific, and another experience that alcohol took away from me.
    Blimey.

Real Madrid home and away (I was only 6
    years old at the time, mind you - at least my Dad went I suppose)

Now I worry about my boys missing big games, not that we seem to have many these days :-/

Bloody 'ell, mate! You must have been in a right state to miss the cup final after paying for the coach as well. I presume you had a ticket in hand too?

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post

Respects to you, Sir!

Followed the City since the mid-70s. Used to stand on the Bob Bank, when we were in the old Fourth Division, with crowds hovering around the 2,000 mark.
    Never got to see us play at Wembley, never seen us play live in the Premier League either. Actually, I have not had the opportunity to see us play at the CCS.

I missed Swansea at home when Billy Ronson scored and we won 1 nil.
    I went to Porthcawl with my sister.
    I've never forgiven myself.

Didn’t make the Real Madrid games or the lowest attendance.

Bizarrely the only game I missed, having travelled was an FA Cup game, in 1999, v Yeovil, which was an all ticket game & I wasn’t allowed in. Pissed me off drove 50 miles and not allowed in but only 12000 there!

Too many to mention. I think I've been to less than 15 games in 30 years. I used to go to about 30-35 a season.

First Team

World Cup semi final Italia 90.

Got on the wrong train asI followed a load of what I thought were Germans but turned out were an Austrian tourist group.

So late getting to the ground I was refused entry and detained until well after it was all over.

On the plus side they issued me a document that allowed a refund to be made and I avoided the predictable penalty shoot out pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post

Got on the wrong train asI followed a load of what I thought were Germans but turned out were an Austrian tourist group.

So late getting to the ground I was refused entry and detained until well after it was all over.

On the plus side they issued me a document that allowed a refund to be made and I avoided the predictable penalty shoot out pain.
    Curious as to why they detained you?

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Curious as to why they detained you?
    They said for security purposes.

Probably a bland catch all statement as I was sober and not involved in the dark side.

I guess you have to look at it in context at what had happened in the group stages where the official camp site was subject to nighly attacks from the locals and there had been clashes with the police prior to the final group game.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post

Pain? I watched it in a pub in Blyth, someone heard me whispering, “ Miss, Miss” before every English spot kick. I somehow got away unscathed

1st home game in PL v Man City was in Cyprus.

Belguim v Wales in Lille

Was stuck in that massive queue in Folkestone

Brexit?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Bloody 'ell, mate! You must have been in a right state to miss the cup final after paying for the coach as well. I presume you had a ticket in hand too?
    Yeah I was grey my mate said. Liver struggling.

Ticket in pocket, 24 cans of lager left on the coach, my mates appreciated that haha

When we best Fulham 4-2 at home in The Premiere League,Holidays

Blackpool playoff final.
    Had a big job interview on the Saturday morning. I didn't get the job but I'm glad I went to the interview instead of Wembley

FA cup final. Couldn't get a ticket yet I knew many people who didn't attend any other matches managed to get one. I was prepared to travel from Spain to attend.

The 1927 FA Cup final. I was -51 at the time.

Leeds FA cup tie. No idea why. I had a season ticket but never bought one for that.

League cup final. Wembley is a shit hole to get out of when you've lost. When we beat Barnsley in the semi final I could have stayed out for ages after, but had to come home. Me and Mrs HaB booked somewhere to stay after the FA cup final but felt like coming back home. The Blackpool experience was horrible.

We decided it was a long way to go to watch another defeat and have the hassle of leaving afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    The 1927 FA Cup final. I was -51 at the time.
    Part timer.

Part timer.